Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,820,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Of course, this could be a case-by-case thing. But, I recently had a friend that said she was dumped for an ex that came back into her guy's life (an ex-girlfriend).

I don't know, but isn't it pretty crappy to dump someone for an ex that came back into your life or would you say there's something legit about it?

Has this ever happened to you? Does this mean he or she was just settling on you or was holding a torch for an ex?
How far along was this new relationship? I find this more common in new relationships rather than more established ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
How far along was this new relationship? I find this more common in new relationships rather than more established ones.
Yeah I could see this happening in a newer relationship where they have been dating for a few months. I would find this very rare in someone who has been with someone for years.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,044,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
No, not at all. A case of jealousy that the other person is moving on. You don't need them to date someone else to realize what you had.
Sometimes I wonder if it's a case of just settling. Like I know people that break up, one of them starts to go back into the dating arena...winds up hating it and realized they made a mistake by breaking up with that person...and gets back together with them.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,962,452 times
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if it's a case of just settling. Like I know people that break up, one of them starts to go back into the dating arena...winds up hating it and realized they made a mistake by breaking up with that person...and gets back together with them.
Could be a lot of reasons and a combination of reasons. I just know that when a recent ex finds out the other person is dating someone else, they get jealous and want to get back together a lot of times. I've been on both sides of that.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,606,137 times
Quote:
Of course, this could be a case-by-case thing. But, I recently had a friend that said she was dumped for an ex that came back into her guy's life (an ex-girlfriend).

I don't know, but isn't it pretty crappy to dump someone for an ex that came back into your life or would you say there's something legit about it?

Has this ever happened to you? Does this mean he or she was just settling on you or was holding a torch for an ex?

How could you not think this is “legit”? I’d want to know if my Man had feelings for His ex......I’d be gone before he left......but an ex still having feelings for him?

It’s more damage IMO if he has feelings for an ex.....but stays......

Old 11-19-2019, 02:43 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,487,658 times
I got back together with an ex in a similar situation. I thought that relationship was over because of insoluble circumstances, so I started dating others. After a few months, however, those circumstances resolved, and she returned. She was a better match for me than the person I'd recently been dating, so it was an easy decision to take her back. That was 20 years ago. It was - and is - the right decision for me.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 PM

17,883 posts, read 9,318,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
My opinion, if I was dating, I would rather that be the reason than many others.
I completely agree. Reason being is that it feels faultless.

(That may not actually be the case, but it's easily justified.)

Old 11-19-2019, 08:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
All is fair in love and war.

The reason "why" someone gets dumped usually doesn't matter, it probably hurts them no matter what. Do you think the person should be "prevented" from breaking up with someone to see an ex?

Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
This is one reason why I "don't like to hold all my eggs in one basket."
You're not committed until you're committed.
Even committed relationships can break apart.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,214,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
All is fair in love and war.

The reason "why" someone gets dumped usually doesn't matter, it probably hurts them no matter what. Do you think the person should be "prevented" from breaking up with someone to see an ex?
I, personally, could not care less why I am dumped. There are some good points you bring up, or I kind of feel, from your post. One, there is a pervasive attitude of once having a relationship, there is value in keeping that relationship come hell or high water. Things like managing who ones partner talks to and the like is pretty pervasive, if not on this board, on another I used to participate in. But also, the why of a breakup is often seen as a rejection or a condemnation to be avoided. I don't see it that way. I will take feedback about the why. And determine if it is something about myself I don't like. Or, decide that it just renders us incompatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships