Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:23 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I broke up with my ex-girlfriend of about two years back in October. She's immature in a lot of ways (just 25), but doesn't have a lot of money. She showed up at the park where I normally walk Monday afternoon and said she was hungry. I bought her lunch. I don't think it would ever really work, but I still love her and wouldn't want her to do without things she needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
After some thought I have decided against this idea. She treated me horribly thru divorce and I would be nuts to do anything for her. Thanks for the advice.
Thank God! Good choice.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
After some thought I have decided against this idea. She treated me horribly thru divorce and I would be nuts to do anything for her. Thanks for the advice.
Mine treated me pretty bad through our divorce but I still bought her a birthday present. Just because she took the low road in the divorce doesn't mean you have to. Show her you're better than that. And, if there are kids involved, it would show them you're not as bad as she was probably telling them you are.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Quote:

If you are just feeling charitable and want to help someone in this fashion, there are tons of charities that need coats for kids. Look up a local one near you or even call a school local to you and tell them you want to donate a coat to a poor child and I am sure they can help.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:06 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Quote:
Anybody ever send an ex a Christmas present? Ever since my divorce Christmas has not meant much to me. Someone recently told me to do something that made me feel good this Christmas to make it special. I thought long and hard and there is not much that I can come up with, other than as crazy as it sounds, Buying my ex-wife a nice winter coat and sending it to her anonymously.

She hasn't exactly been doing all that great since the divorce financially and the thing that made me think about it was the last time I saw her with a winter coat on it looked like total crap. I know she could use one and it isn't something she would ever buy herself. Would I be totally out of my mind for doing this? Thoughts?

I work with guys who have actually bought their exes cars so they have decent Transportation so I am thinking a coat is not that ridiculous.

Go easy on me. Just a thought.
What in the actual Heck?!? Why? She is your ex for a reason. ... I'm laughing here

Old 12-18-2019, 12:25 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
What in the actual Heck?!? Why? She is your ex for a reason. ... I'm laughing here
Some people actually have OK interactions with exes. Especially when there were kids involved.

This is what I, personally, shake my head at, the idea that if a romantic relationship ends, the people must either hate each other or at best never want to see or hear from one another again. "They are your ex for a reason!" How do you know the reason, in all cases, enough to say something so general? Some people just kinda drift apart. A couple might even mutually decide that they'd be better off friends than romantically together.

I'm at least on OK friendly speaking terms with a number of people from my intimate past. I'm close friends with a few. And the bad one, the one that really did end nastily, we at least keep it civil because of the kids.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Some people actually have OK interactions with exes. Especially when there were kids involved.

This is what I, personally, shake my head at, the idea that if a romantic relationship ends, the people must either hate each other or at best never want to see or hear from one another again. "They are your ex for a reason!" How do you know the reason, in all cases, enough to say something so general? Some people just kinda drift apart. A couple might even mutually decide that they'd be better off friends than romantically together.

I'm at least on OK friendly speaking terms with a number of people from my intimate past. I'm close friends with a few. And the bad one, the one that really did end nastily, we at least keep it civil because of the kids.

I agree that with some people, it CAN be an amicable and friendly situation. But it wasn't in OP's case. She treated him terribly, according to him. Plus...she left him for another man. This tends to not render couples as friends after a divorce.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:49 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Let her new man buy her a coat.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I broke up with my ex-girlfriend of about two years back in October. She's immature in a lot of ways (just 25), but doesn't have a lot of money. She showed up at the park where I normally walk Monday afternoon and said she was hungry. I bought her lunch. I don't think it would ever really work, but I still love her and wouldn't want her to do without things she needs.
I think that was sweet of you to buy her lunch. I would have done the same thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:37 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If she is hungry at the park she is not doing well at all and needs a lot of financial help. You best get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships