Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 AM

91 posts, read 41,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Has anyone said poor hygiene?
Or bad or crooked teeth?
I could not be involved with an atheist.
If bad or crooked teeth are a dealbreaker for you, would you even let it get to the point of being in a relationship? It would seem that this would detract you from even going on a first date, let alone let it evolve into a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dating_Again_Wisc View Post
If bad or crooked teeth are a dealbreaker for you, would you even let it get to the point of being in a relationship? It would seem that this would detract you from even going on a first date, let alone let it evolve into a relationship.
You beat me to it. When I see posts that quibble about anything that CAN'T be helped or a relatively minor flaw (although, of course, someone can certainly shower more often, use deodorant, brush their teeth, etc.), it makes me think that if the person they are involved with ever has a serious injury or illness, that person won't stick around them for very long.

Honestly, in my experience, people who expect perfection in their partners usually end up single and miserable. (NOT that being single equals being miserable in all, or even most, cases!!)

Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Well... I recognize that "faint heart never won fair lady," but TBH, if Heartthrob's Daddy had ever followed through on his threats to use that shotgun, I just may have called it quits.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 AM

91 posts, read 41,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You beat me to it. When I see posts that quibble about anything that CAN'T be helped or a relatively minor flaw (although, of course, someone can certainly shower more often, use deodorant, brush their teeth, etc.), it makes me think that if the person they are involved with ever has a serious injury or illness, that person won't stick around them for very long.

Honestly, in my experience, people who expect perfection in their partners usually end up single and miserable. (NOT that being single equals being miserable in all, or even most, cases!!)
Amen. There are a handful of petty reasons in this thread and that's disappointing to see.

To your injury or illness point, if the person you are with is beautiful/handsome but then has a disfiguring serious car accident, would you leave that person because they are now scared? I certainly wouldn't and I can tell by your post that you wouldn't either.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:09 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good list. Of course, I don't have most of the stuff people have on their lists on mine, probably just because I never run into it in my dating pool. Like, global warming is a hoax people. Or anti feminists... like that's a thing? Who doesn't believe women should have equal rights and opportunities in society (which at its core is what feminism is all about)??

I guess they're out there. I see it on this board, and with some of the candidates that get elected, it has to be a thing, I just don't run into it. Thankfully. And as someone that has lived and dated in Camberville mostly over the past 15 years or so, I suspect you don't either, though there are quite a few highly educated child free people in the area.

I grew up in rural Georgia - they're out there. There's a reason I moved to the people's republic of Massachusetts after I graduated from high school and haven't left. I didn't even include transphobic or homophobic on my list because I've never encountered that dating here, thank goodness.

But even among educated people, there are pockets of nuts. I was in my best friend's wedding last month and she had to give me a warning about some of the groomsmen. They met her husband at an elite college and all were left wing to centrist then, but several have veered hard right. One now identifies as fascist and another is married to a woman who doesn't believe women should vote (at which point the husband piped up saying that she doesn't believe the right should be taken away, just that women's husbands should determine their vote - so much better). My BFF specifically set up table arrangements to keep me and her sister away from them because, "As funny as it would be, they wouldn't take well to a woman disagreeing with them." It's hard for me to imagine how her husband stays friends with them since I've cut past friends out of my life when they developed homophobic or transphobic views and can't imagine remaining friends with a woman with the often-strawman'd "man hating" views (not that I've ever met one in real life). And it's even harder for me to imagine that they successfully date in their home of NYC! A lid for every pot, I suppose.

Quote:
Or bad or crooked teeth?

Poor hygiene is definitely a dealbreaker.

But bad teeth? No. For one, it's easy to overlook when you are attracted to someone (I say from experience). Additionally, dental care in the US is obscenely expensive and many issues stem from lack of orthodontic or dental access as a kid. It seems beyond shallow to hold that against them. I'd rather someone save 15% in their retirement account and have paid off their student loans than have straight or perfectly white teeth.

And if someone would not be involved with an atheist, that's a dealbreaker for me too. And I'm not an atheist.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But even among educated people, there are pockets of nuts. I was in my best friend's wedding last month and she had to give me a warning about some of the groomsmen. They met her husband at an elite college and all were left wing to centrist then, but several have veered hard right. One now identifies as fascist and another is married to a woman who doesn't believe women should vote (at which point the husband piped up saying that she doesn't believe the right should be taken away, just that women's husbands should determine their vote - so much better). My BFF specifically set up table arrangements to keep me and her sister away from them because, "As funny as it would be, they wouldn't take well to a woman disagreeing with them." It's hard for me to imagine how her husband stays friends with them since I've cut past friends out of my life when they developed homophobic or transphobic views and can't imagine remaining friends with a woman with the often-strawman'd "man hating" views (not that I've ever met one in real life). And it's even harder for me to imagine that they successfully date in their home of NYC! A lid for every pot, I suppose.

Holy crud. In Massachusetts? Yeesh. Ah well. The world is truly crazy.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM

100 posts, read 48,210 times
Quote:
Or bad or crooked teeth?
Poor hygiene, I can see.

Bad/crooked teeth? I would hope it would depend on where the bad teeth come from. It might be because of the poor hygiene. But perhaps they don't/didn't have access to dental care growing up? I was once involved with someone who struggled with cavities because she was neglected as a child and wasn't brought to the dentist until she was 12 and didn't learn the value of oral hygiene until even later. She had several teeth that abscessed during my time with her, and she was downright extreme about brushing and flossing but there was too much damage done during her earlier years and she was missing several.

Crooked teeth? I think it's sad for that to be a 'dealbreaker'. You just can't help that, and if the person or their family couldn't afford orthodontics, it seems like an unfair thing to hold against someone.

Then again, you can't help what you are and are not attracted to. I lost a physical attraction to someone once because she gained weight (see above) and I couldn't help that either. Beat myself up over it pretty good too, felt like a superficial jerk. But she also could have done more to fix it, so that's a little different..

I can't really wrap my mind around someones professed religion (or lack thereof) playing such a big role in who you're attracted to.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadskeptic View Post
I can't really wrap my mind around someones professed religion (or lack thereof) playing such a big role in who you're attracted to.

It's probably less about the initial attraction than it is about relationship compatibility and/or needing to respect one's partner.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Criminal past (especially violent)
Smoking (even if it's just marijuana)
Mental instability
More than one child
Drug use
History of cheating and lying
History of manipulation
Lowkey misogynist
Irresponsible in general
Uneducated
Toxic political beliefs
Horrible communicator
Terrible hygiene
Poor ambition
Refusal to exercise AT ALL (I exercise at least 4 times a week)

All I can think of at the moment.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM

220 posts, read 196,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I have pretty jacked up teeth LOL and dated many people just fine. No bad breath just in need of braces which i finally got late last year at the age of 33 My current bf says he liked me just fine but understood why i would do it (better self esteem and smiling in photos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships