Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I figured this would fit better here than Work and Employment.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of requests from middle aged men on LinkedIn. I add them and quickly regret the decision because they proposition me for photos, my number, and they flirt with me. This is really odd and inappropriate on a business social media platform. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is this a new trend on LinkedIn? What the heck are these middle aged men thinking?
This is very unfortunate and completely unacceptable behaviour on a business network, but it's definitely widespread and it has the same roots and motives along with same driving forces as it has on any other digital platform or physical location. Once again, it's important for every sane, responsible individual to emphasize and enforce the stance that this kind of "behavior" is completely unacceptable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:

Lately, I've been getting a lot of requests from middle aged men on LinkedIn. I add them and quickly regret the decision because they proposition me for photos, my number, and they flirt with me. This is really odd and inappropriate on a business social media platform. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is this a new trend on LinkedIn? What the heck are these middle aged men thinking?

What the actual hell?

Personally, I'd do a screen grab of their proposition, and report their asses to their bosses. Anybody who is that unprofessional reflects badly on his employer.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you adding them? Are these people you know from somewhere, or complete strangers? If you're adding complete strangers, that's on you.

I think this is kind of blaming the victim, kind of in the same category of "Well, if you didn't want to get proposition at Rotary Club, you shouldn't have worn that dress." Same kind of thing.

This isn't Facebook. LinkedIn is supposed to be a professional platform where the more people you connect with, the better.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:

Honey, at least you can verify their job status.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:54 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
I suppose you're right. I work full-time and my part-time job's hours were cut. I'm looking at gigs for extra money.

Online dating doesn't interest me; I don't have a profile in that realm and I was hoping that realm wouldn't leak onto LinkedIn. I suppose anything is game on the internet!

Ironically, there have been posts on Reddit about this phenomenon on LinkedIn. Most find it jarring.
I'm sorry to hear that. I wound up moving on from Freelance work as those honey pots were drying up on to full time work.

So if you don't do online dating, then how are you meeting men? Are you interested in dating (well...pre/post-Covid)?

Old 01-22-2021, 05:18 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I wound up moving on from Freelance work as those honey pots were drying up on to full time work.

So if you don't do online dating, then how are you meeting men? Are you interested in dating (well...pre/post-Covid)?
Absolutely not! I am asexual and aromantic, so I don't date at all. That's why I find this whole LinkedIn business so jarring. Since I am not attracted to people sexually or romantically, I am not on any OLD profiles and I don't want to do this on LinkedIn. Since I can't say, "possibly looking for friendship or a ***** platonic relationship" on LinkedIn, it's just creepy.

Right now I only have friendships and in this COVID landscape, I've been doing things over Zoom. I belong to Jewish groups and I have made friends in those groups, pre-COVID. Some guy was interested in me and I had to tell him, "look, I'm asexual and aromantic, so I'm not into you like that. I can be your friend." He was really rude anyway. I thought the guy was gay, but he said he was bi.

My Jewish groups do Zoom meetups and I've met other women through them. Right now, I'm learning, that finding friendship among other women my age is more fruitful for me.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:00 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think this is kind of blaming the victim, kind of in the same category of "Well, if you didn't want to get proposition at Rotary Club, you shouldn't have worn that dress." Same kind of thing.

This isn't Facebook. LinkedIn is supposed to be a professional platform where the more people you connect with, the better.
I 100% agree. I was really disappointed to read those type of responses.

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-22-2021 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I 100% agree. I was really disappointed to those type of responses.
When I was still a student, I was told that LinkedIn was currency in the professional world and if I didn't have one, I wouldn't find employment. Since I've always wanted to move out of my current area, the career lab suggested adding people in the target location and in similar fields.

Over the years, I've befriended authors and some helped me along the way and then mutual connections of those writers also befriended me. Last night a young woman that is a mutual connection of a therapist friend requested me. I am into psychological writing, she's a psychology writer and I added her. No issue with her.

I did mark my LinkedIn profile that I am opened to a new job and I'm opened to new interviews, so maybe by marking my profile as open to working, maybe it added me to a platform of people who can see that I am looking for work. While there are creeps everywhere, I guess some felt emboldened.

The one who sent me his number, I looked up his name and he wasn't a writer. He runs some international financial firm. Now I wish I didn't delete those creepy messages. There was one other person by his name and I found information. I'm not sure if it's the same guy or another one, but regardless: he's 70 and married. I'm 31. That's a no-go. What was a 70 year old man thinking? My dad is 65. He's older than my dad! He's also married! Maybe looking for a caregiver? Someone young and probably assumed he would probably get more action.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
The one who sent me his number, I looked up his name and he wasn't a writer. He runs some international financial firm. Now I wish I didn't delete those creepy messages. There was one other person by his name and I found information. I'm not sure if it's the same guy or another one, but regardless: he's 70 and married. I'm 31. That's a no-go. What was a 70 year old man thinking? My dad is 65. He's older than my dad! He's also married! Maybe looking for a caregiver? Someone young and probably assumed he would probably get more action.
Honestly, I would bet solid gold that the people who messaged you and the people you googled have never met. Scammers pick profiles that will attract people.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Honestly, I would bet solid gold that the people who messaged you and the people you googled have never met. Scammers pick profiles that will attract people.
That's what I was thinking. The picture on the LinkedIn profile only had a Twitter and the Twitter wasn't very active. I couldn't find much else, so it most likely was a scammer. The number he gave (I don't remember it, like I said, I deleted the messages) was probably a scam number too.

I used to get BitCoin people requesting me a lot. Probably in the same boat, but trying to use romance and cheap wooing to love bomb a young woman into giving up information about herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships