Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 06:19 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times

Advertisements

I figured this would fit better here than Work and Employment.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of requests from middle aged men on LinkedIn. I add them and quickly regret the decision because they proposition me for photos, my number, and they flirt with me. This is really odd and inappropriate on a business social media platform. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is this a new trend on LinkedIn? What the heck are these middle aged men thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 06:55 PM

277 posts, read 773,599 times
I wondered myself it that goes on. It's ridiculous and disappointing, but not surprised in the least bit. I've gone as far as click on a profile of an attractive woman just to look, but I would never consider making attempt to flirt. Not even that, I would never try to connect with someone I don't have something in common with business-wise.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
There are trolls and scammers everywhere.

You have to be more careful and discerning about befriending complete strangers online and in person, so you don’t have regrets afterward.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:04 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
It doesn't matter whether it's LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, tinder, etc. It's the internet. There are creepy crawlies everywhere. Once you see they're on some BS, block or ignore them. I have a LinkedIn page, and get occasional requests to connect from random older men who have nothing in common with my current job field. I just don't connect with them. That's also why I don't really use social media much, too many creeps and cheaters looking for their next thrill.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 PM

13,275 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Men get job offers woman get propositioned on LinkedIn not surprised.

I'm assuming your picture is up there on LinkedIn problem I have with unsolicited propositions are so many scams now online how do you know if it's even legit. I never used online dating the only online dating I could trust to yield something good would be a service that actually cost real money. Generally scammers, crazy, and just poor quality won't pay for an online dating service. I doubt I would use online services I prefer meeting someone in person. My sister in-law she would probably like using LinkedIn she only ever dated very successful, or wealthy men she always made that high on the priority list even if they are older by number of years.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:58 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I figured this would fit better here than Work and Employment.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of requests from middle aged men on LinkedIn. I add them and quickly regret the decision because they proposition me for photos, my number, and they flirt with me. This is really odd and inappropriate on a business social media platform. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Is this a new trend on LinkedIn? What the heck are these middle aged men thinking?
Why are you adding them? Are these people you know from somewhere, or complete strangers? If you're adding complete strangers, that's on you.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:51 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you adding them? Are these people you know from somewhere, or complete strangers? If you're adding complete strangers, that's on you.

This ^^^

Why would you ever add someone you do not know? Are they inquiring about your field of interest or training/schooling? Could you have met them at a networking type event?

It makes no sense to add them if there is no common potential "business" networking reason. Only time I ever did was because I met at networking event and it was strictly business.

Now, I have on a few occasions used it to get better intel on those who have peaked my interest but would never ask / flirt on linkedin platform.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:01 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times
Actually it's usually women who do this on linkedin, though they are less obvious about it and it's usually someone in their age group, but it's actually worse because the targeted guy is usually in a lucrative field, I have a friend who passed the bar at 43(was in lawschool in his 20's but got sidelined when his then recent ex GF sicked the attorney general on him), but anyway once he passed the bar he got flirted with on that site, it surprised him.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:17 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
It doesn't matter whether it's LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, tinder, etc. It's the internet. There are creepy crawlies everywhere. Once you see they're on some BS, block or ignore them. I have a LinkedIn page, and get occasional requests to connect from random older men who have nothing in common with my current job field. I just don't connect with them. That's also why I don't really use social media much, too many creeps and cheaters looking for their next thrill.
Although, I have approached women that show up on my Facebooks "People you may know", list and also share mutual friends with, even I draw the line at this.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:01 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
This ^^^

Why would you ever add someone you do not know? Are they inquiring about your field of interest or training/schooling? Could you have met them at a networking type event?

It makes no sense to add them if there is no common potential "business" networking reason. Only time I ever did was because I met at networking event and it was strictly business.

Now, I have on a few occasions used it to get better intel on those who have peaked my interest but would never ask / flirt on linkedin platform.
While I have people I know from every job I've held, as well as professors and teachers, sometimes I'll add strangers who are in the field I want to break into, especially in the area I would like to move to. HOWEVER, those adds are usually targeted. I find alumni from my university who are in that field and are in those cities, and usually I'll add a note as to why I'm adding them.

I work in insurance full-time and sometimes connections of connections from my full-time job will add me. I add them back. They're not an issue, and even though they're in insurance, many of them came from creative backgrounds as well. It's nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They said they were freelance writers. I'm hoping to break into freelancing again for extra money. That's why I added them - freelance writers and maybe they'd have leads.

I wasn't expecting flirting and the nine. It was so bizarre for LinkedIn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships