Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 03:49 AM

1,466 posts, read 749,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Agree. There's a certain magic to behold.. The dance is all part of the fun when falling love/lust.
For many it's not, that's why the top 2 minimum selling "self help books" are on "how to find love" and "how to make money", and by top minimum selling I mean when they do well the do really well, but even if the book does poorly it usually does well enough to make it's money back + some profit, it's why the "self help" section of your local book store is flooded with those 2 subjects, because they are the easiest to get published as they are less risk to the publisher, same can't be said about a book on "home repair" or "child rearing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 04:14 AM

19,888 posts, read 20,483,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Let’s see, a connection that won’t take many dates or rejection to get to? Sign me up! As someone who hates “the dance” or the “magic” and has never actually “experienced” them, if there was an easy pathway to love and sex, I’d take it in a heartbeat.

This hurts me to read, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
For many it's not, that's why the top 2 minimum selling "self help books" are on "how to find love" and "how to make money", and by top minimum selling I mean when they do well the do really well, but even if the book does poorly it usually does well enough to make it's money back + some profit, it's why the "self help" section of your local book store is flooded with those 2 subjects, because they are the easiest to get published as they are less risk to the publisher, same can't be said about a book on "home repair" or "child rearing".
I can certainly see a market for this service.

This would be something I'd be more interested in just viewing the results as an observer. Or as was said earlier, as a film or a book. Sci-fi/Romance/Horror/Psychological Thriller genre. Because you have to wonder how this would all play out in everyday real life as far as compatibility and other things beyond mutual attraction/chemistry. There's bound to be a glitch somewhere. Ultimately, there are no shortcuts in life. So I think this being both a scientific and social experiment might end up as more of a warning to humanity...

This topic is stirring my imagination in a more creative way. But I get it... We all just wanna love & be loved.

♥♥

Old 08-21-2021, 04:45 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,117,613 times
I couldn't nope my way out of this fast enough.

The stronger the attraction, the more compelled I'd be to do something very out of character and act on it. That would not only ruin my life but the other person's. I won't be responsible for that.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolona1721 View Post
There is a Korean movie with a similar theme. Basically you could see your match data as you walked around the city. I had planned to watch, but got busy and forgot about it until now.
Can you tell me the name of the movie?

Old 08-21-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

This hurts me to read, I'm sorry.

I can certainly see a market for this service.

This would be something I'd be more interested in just viewing the results as an observer. Or as was said earlier, as a film or a book. Sci-fi/Romance/Horror/Psychological Thriller genre. Because you have to wonder how this would all play out in everyday real life as far as compatibility and other things beyond mutual attraction/chemistry. There's bound to be a glitch somewhere. Ultimately, there are no shortcuts in life. So I think this being both a scientific and social experiment might end up as more of a warning to humanity...

This topic is stirring my imagination in a more creative way. But I get it... We all just wanna love & be loved.

♥♥
Actually that show has already been made. there is an interesting subplot where a woman wonders if she would have been matched with her husband if the tech had been around before they met, she was happy with her marriage but doubts crept in once the service was made public and there are all these "get a room" couples everywhere as the service zeroed in on the "needle in a haystack" mutual attraction person you may or most likely never would have run into otherwise. also a problem that was never focused on in the show was your match may not live anywhere near you or even in another country, it was mentioned but not as a problem as most of the characters in the show seem upper income, (it would be my luck that all my matches were on the other side of the country or world lol )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgbNCkJqSM

Old 08-21-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I couldn't nope my way out of this fast enough.

The stronger the attraction, the more compelled I'd be to do something very out of character and act on it. That would not only ruin my life but the other person's. I won't be responsible for that.
I hope your wife or future wife never learns that she was chosen because your only slightly into her

Old 08-21-2021, 07:48 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,117,613 times
Quote:
I hope your wife or future wife never learns that she was chosen because your only slightly into her
There will be neither such a person nor such a choice. I'm a month away from 45 with no runs on the relationship scoreboard, no plans in that area and even fewer prospects. This means I can throw everything at my chosen career path and keep doing it until I’m eighty.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:26 AM

19,888 posts, read 20,483,763 times
Quote:
Actually that show has already been made. there is an interesting subplot where a woman wonders if she would have been matched with her husband if the tech had been around before they met, she was happy with her marriage but doubts crept in once the service was made public and there are all these "get a room" couples everywhere as the service zeroed in on the "needle in a haystack" mutual attraction person you may or most likely never would have run into otherwise. also a problem that was never focused on in the show was your match may not live anywhere near you or even in another country, it was mentioned but not as a problem as most of the characters in the show seem upper income, (it would be my luck that all my matches were on the other side of the country or world lol )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGgbNCkJqSM
Pandora's box type stuff here, this looks pretty good actually

Old 08-21-2021, 01:14 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,557,237 times
Quote:

You seem to treat romantic love as if it's the least important part of human existence, thats why I say you or anyone else who views it that way must not have experienced it, because once you have felt it everything else under the sun seems hollow when compared to that feeling.

Again, STOP projecting your experiences and values onto other people. It is inappropriate, invalidating, ignorant, presumptuous, and offensive.

You can speak ONLY for yourself.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:31 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,557,237 times
In this theoretical bit of make believe, I put forth that DNA matching would never work for love. Love requires vulnerability. Anyone seeking the quick fix is not willing to be vulnerable and risk another person's autonomous assessment of them.

Further, one of the best things about love is the "relationship-building" you put into it. People tend not to appreciate that which is gotten too easily. Basically, this kind of service would be a real hit for lazy people looking to take someone else for granted

Finally, I am all for acknowledging that homo sapiens is a primate and subject to the effects of biology, but it is a fool who would be a slave to that biology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships