Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,394,223 times

Advertisements

My now husband is a huge fantasy type geek. Loves all the sci-fi fantasy authors, loves Star Trek. HE introduced me to Star Trek, and now we have several of the series on DVD, and he had several of the movies, which we watch at home a lot. I still would not be able to catch all references from the movies/TV shows, etc. But I do enjoy them, and have learned something.

A few months ago, he introduced me to one of his coworkers named Dax, and all I could think about was Deep Space 9.

Anyways, sounds like you are remaining single, not dating because you rule people out really quickly before you even have a chance to find out if you have anything at all in common.

And while I do not share my husband's love for Sci Fi - he does not share my love for fashion TV or any of the other craptastic shows I like on TV, or my taste in novels, we love doing outdoor activities together (skiing, biking, and hiking), and have plenty to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,091,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
There is this girl at work I have been kind of crushing on for awhile, and a few weeks ago I realized I could never, EVER go out with her. Why?...

We were talking about crying with some other people at work while we were just standing around as it was kind of slow, and someone said that men never cried, and a girl, not the one I was crushing on, asked the other man in the group when was the last time he cried, and he said when is dog died a year ago. She than asked me, and I said, honestly, that it was after a read a news story about a man who died in Iraq.

His convoy was attacked and he was at the gun, and an RPG exploded on him and when they pulled away he was hurt pretty bad. They had him on the street and he was going in and out of consciousness and he looked up at the sky, smiled, and shouted one word. He than lost consciousness again and died a few hours later at the base.

His last word?..."VALHALLA!!"

*sniff* that is how a warrior dies. May his brave soul find peace.

And what did the girl I thought was cool say?

"what's a valhalla?"

How the hell do you get to be 22 years old and not know what Valhalla is? She had no clue! Any attraction I had to her has been thrown out the window into heavy traffic!

I told people that from now on out, I am going to try to sneak the word "valhalla" in to the conversation and see if a girl knows what it is, because there is no way in hell I would ever have anything serious with a girl who doesn't know what Valhalla is.

And of course, people laugh when I tell them that.

Anyone else have an unorthodox deal-breaker?

Come on! Sing it with me!....VALHALLA! DELIVERANCE, HAVE YOU EVER FORGOTTEN ME?
YouTube - Blind Guardian - Valhalla

\m/
Holy cripes! Do you realize what this means??? You've found milady Sif befuddled and baffled by the awesome power of the enchantress! after all these years of searching! By the bristling beard of one eyed Odin!

Seriuosly, you need to troll comic conventions for a Zina wannabee! But be warned thou shouldest be wary of what thy wish for, for any girl who fits yon billeth canst probably break tho in half in rapture.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,959,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Yeah, mine is just as weird I guess, I'd dump any guy who didn't know what vitavetavegamin was
Oooh.... ooh... if I remember right, wasn't that the stuff Lucy got drunk from in the I.L.L. show? Do I win??? Am I the one, MLV???

Uh... of course... er... um.... that's what I remember from my MOM watching.. *cough* *cough*

*Now I feel stupid... I should have googled before I wrote this... I'll have to check after.. .(if you see an edit, I was wrong!!!)

Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM

11,414 posts, read 24,517,939 times
VALHALLA?

I hate it when I find such a funny thread so late in the game. Honey bunny, you need to try something different for a change.

There's nothing wrong with all of that fantasy stuff you're into, but for your own sake you need to branch out.

The chick you were liking obviously wouldn't pass muster with anyone who values history or literature or higher learning, for that matter.

But the real problem is that you've got your EMO Goth head stuck in the sand. Go out and sit in the sunshine. Go help homeless people or visit old people or something that will pull your poor unfortunate self-imposed geeky victim nose out of the book or DVD or whatever it's pinched into.

Come on. You're asking for advice? You're getting some.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,592,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
VALHALLA?

I hate it when I find such a funny thread so late in the game. Honey bunny, you need to try something different for a change.

There's nothing wrong with all of that fantasy stuff you're into, but for your own sake you need to branch out.

The chick you were liking obviously wouldn't pass muster with anyone who values history or literature or higher learning, for that matter.

But the real problem is that you've got your EMO Goth head stuck in the sand. Go out and sit in the sunshine. Go help homeless people or visit old people or something that will pull your poor unfortunate self-imposed geeky victim nose out of the book or DVD or whatever it's pinched into.

Come on. You're asking for advice? You're getting some.

Why are you so harsh on the original poster? He is absolutely 100% correct. Someone who didn't know what "Valhalla" was is pretty dumb and I can understand why its a dealbreaker for him.

Just for fun, I turned around and asked a co-worker if she knew the term "Valhalla" and even though she didn't get the afterlife part correct, she correctly associated the term with Norse mythology. There is nothing geeky or "emo" about possessing common knowledge. (Don't get me wrong, though. if she was hot I'd still do her, no matter how dumb she was)

Last edited by xavierob82; 05-16-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,592,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I don't know, last year i briefly dated a guy that was 25 (3 years younger than me), and he didn't know who Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young were. This appalled me and i realized that maybe i was too much of an old soul for him.

Anywho, i ignored this until we were riding in his car......he was listening to his hip-hop music w/the extra speakers and base thumping. It was so loud that i couldn't think. It's not that i don't like some hip-hop every once and a while, but if you have some 12's (am is saying this right?) and some base in the trunk, count me out!

I know 15-year olds (my sister and her bf) who listen to CSN&Y so I think it has less to do with him being young and more to do with the fact that he sounds like a tool. Did he wear his pants 3 sizes too big and around his ankles? That explains it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,285,838 times
Quote:
How the hell do you get to be 22 years old and not know what Valhalla is?
I didn't know what it was until I just googled it. I'm sure there are lots of words and sayings you aren't aware of and you don't even realize it.

Ever heard the word Aerothermochemistry? There are people who have worked in my feild for many years who have no clue what this study consists of. I don't think less of them because they don't know. I just think they never took the class....or possibly don't even care because it doesn't flippin matter! Just like it doesn't matter a damn bit that I didn't know what Valhalla was until I googled it 10 minutes ago. But if you want to judge someone based on whether or not they know the meaning of a word then you're free to do so. But don't be surprised if later someone doesn't judge you based on some equally screwed up criteria.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,628,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Oooh.... ooh... if I remember right, wasn't that the stuff Lucy got drunk from in the I.L.L. show? Do I win??? Am I the one, MLV???

Uh... of course... er... um.... that's what I remember from my MOM watching.. *cough* *cough*

*Now I feel stupid... I should have googled before I wrote this... I'll have to check after.. .(if you see an edit, I was wrong!!!)
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link) Oh My!! I've finally found him.

Checklist for finding a good man:

Treats others well - NAH

Is Monogomous/Honest - NAH

Loves Animals - Kick him to the curb

Loves Children - LOSER!!!!!

Is Italian - Fuggedabowdit

Knows what vitavetavegamin means - Now there's my Prince Charming

Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM

51 posts, read 167,219 times
Ugh, this thread makes me sick to my stomach a little bit.

I understand attracting people with similiar interests and knowledge...but what about learning something NEW from someone you're attracted to?

I dated alot of guys in the past because we liked the same bands - know what? Those relationships didn't last. Because the mutual interest was the ONLY thing we had going for us and were completely incompatible otherwise.

I'm sure there's plenty of happy, blissful couples out there who share an interest in metal, Pokemon, James Joyce, etc....but they're also willing to learn about different things from the other person...

victorianpunk - why couldn't you teach her about Valhalla?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM

486 posts, read 983,640 times
Quote:
How the hell do you get to be 22 years old and not know what Valhalla is? She had no clue! Any attraction I had to her has been thrown out the window into heavy traffic!

\m/
I must be a darn idiot!!! I am 30 and I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Okay, I just looked it up on line. Why would I know that??? Falls under the useless information category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships