Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,840,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post

Why would I know that?
Falls under the useless information category.
It's kind of like knowing where Cleveland is.
You will probably never go there.
Never meet anyone from there.
But, you won't ever have to say "I never heard of that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,929,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Your user name is "professor" and you DONT KNOW THAT VALHALLA IS VIKING/NORSE MYTHOLOGY FOR THE AFTERLIFE? "where the brave may life for ever?" Icelandic sagas? Beowulf?

Some "professor" you are
Did someone call me? What? I think I missed something.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,211,445 times
Now throw yo hands in tha ay-er!

And wave 'em like you just don't kay-er!

And if you like fish 'n' grits, and all that pimp sh*t,

Then ev-ry-body lemme hear you say, Oh Yeah-er!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,180,916 times
Quote:
Your user name is "professor" and you DONT KNOW THAT VALHALLA IS VIKING/NORSE MYTHOLOGY FOR THE AFTERLIFE? "where the brave may life for ever?" Icelandic sagas? Beowulf?

Some "professor" you are

*Of course* I know what "valhalla" is literally. Having traveled in Norway, Denmark, Iceland, and Greenland (and having family in Finland) I am not entirely unfamiliar with Scandinavian culture. But your initial post referenced a link to some screaming guy and a blaring rock band and suggested that it was a deal breaker to not like the "artist" and his music.

That said, I would think that most people are NOT aware of the classic definition of "valhalla" (they *may* understand the term to mean "nirvana" or "heaven" and not be aware of it's historical literary origins). Consequently, rejecting a potential mate because they may be unfamiliar with nordic mythology would be quite unrealistic and foolishly short-sighted in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,942,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I know 15-year olds (my sister and her bf) who listen to CSN&Y so I think it has less to do with him being young and more to do with the fact that he sounds like a tool. Did he wear his pants 3 sizes too big and around his ankles? That explains it.
HAHA! Actually, no, he dressed pretty nice and is currently doing his residency in osteopathic medicine. Guess he was too busy reading for med school to figure out who they were.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM

361 posts, read 1,948,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that you are being very unreasonable. I know what Valhalla is because when I was a child, I adored Norse mythology, along with Ancient Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythologies. I also read some of the Thor comic books. Then there is Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. But if she's not into Wagner or classical opera or into German heritage, then why should she know that?

Otherwise I don't know this Blind Guardian song you posted a link to... so do I lose points for that?
I can't stand Norse mythology, Ancient Greek/Roman and Egyptian mythologies, Wagner, or my German heritage, and I don't know what Thor comic books are, but I STILL know what Valhalla is.

I'm with you, victorianpunk. We all have are strange little deal-breakers that tip us over the edge.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Why are you so harsh on the original poster? He is absolutely 100% correct. Someone who didn't know what "Valhalla" was is pretty dumb and I can understand why its a dealbreaker for him.

Just for fun, I turned around and asked a co-worker if she knew the term "Valhalla" and even though she didn't get the afterlife part correct, she correctly associated the term with Norse mythology. There is nothing geeky or "emo" about possessing common knowledge. (Don't get me wrong, though. if she was hot I'd still do her, no matter how dumb she was)
I have absolutely ZERO interest in mythology - Norse, Greek, whatever. I had no idea what Valhalla is until I Googled it a moment ago.

That does NOT make me dumb, and it's not common knowledge. If the OP wants to make it a dealbreaker, that's his business. I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with being called stupid because I don't know something pertaining to a subject I had no exposure to, and have no interest in.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
Oh, my.

I have to tell you that although I would have passed your Valhalla test (and added commentary on Hel to the mix), one can know certain details and not be bright.

I'm pretty sure the OP was being facetious, but I'll just put in my $.02 anyway.

Yes, I know what Valhalla is. For that matter, I know when Old Norse split into Scandinavia's modern languages, each of them. I surely know about Odin; a now-Christian date which originally celebrated his "hanging" and Rune-finding just passed, actually.

But dude. Let me tell you. I recently took an online IQ test (why oh WHY do I do these things to myself?) and confirmed what I already knew: I'm no bright light. I'm decidedly average. I can't remember the 13th U.S. president, I can't count to 21 unless I borrow someone else's hand and I'm not entirely sure where Turkey is. Not only don't I have my ducks in a row, but I don't even know where my ducks are. I'm thinking one is in my kitchen Everything Drawer and I probably left the rest the last time I was at Von's, shuffling through endless wads of unneeded stuff in a frenzied search for my Wells Fargo card.

Definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer here. In fact, I'm not sure where my knife is either. Probably with the ducks.

But I do know what Valhalla is (was...or, well, there's been a resurgence of Aryan paganism in recent years, I guess).

If you'd gone out with me...you would have been impressed with my detailed mythological knowledge. For about ten minutes. Then you would have said, "Oh man. Should I really be using this as my deal-breaker?"

Maybe broaden your deal-breaker criteria a little. Maybe it should be "a girl who is bright" and not "a girl who knows about Norse mythology". I think you'll have better luck that way. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Quote:

"what's a valhalla?"

How the hell do you get to be 22 years old and not know what Valhalla is?

And of course, people laugh when I tell them that.
victorianpunk, I didnt read the other posts on here, but thats ABSOLUTELY a deal breaker. I have similar ones.

It can be lonely but you've gotta be true to yourself.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Id like to add - that's a real Holden Caulfield situation, your deal-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships