Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:01 AM

37 posts, read 13,967 times

Advertisements

I'm aware women test men to see if they are strong and they can trust them. I can usually pass them easily. My go to option is to exaggerate what is being said.

Someone I was seeing once told me I'm a misogynist. We were in the middle of an argument because this person wanted to do something that was clearly out of line, something having to do with a "male friend" and this was her way of shaming me into saying ok. I can assure you I'm nothing but that. I was raised by women and love and respect them.

We are told to not let things get to us emotionally or get offended and is best to take these things as tests and pass them. I said to this person that "sure I'm also a criminal and a bum and so and so".

But then I got to thinking that this was really an insult to me and perhaps I should have responded differently.

When does a test go too far? That is my question.

Thanks.

Last edited by calvinstorm; 12-30-2021 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Eliminated word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 10:21 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Well, OP, given how things went down (assuming you're representing the situation accurately), I wouldn't have bothered to respond. I would have thought, that now that she's shown her true colors, I don't need to waste anymore time with her, and let that be the last interaction she ever had with me.

I HATE manipulative people, and recommend calling their bluff, when possible. You'd have to block her on everything, after doing that. Because typically, when someone does call their bluff, they go into shock (the script didn't play out as they'd expected), so they come running, trying to patch things up. Don't let it happen to you.

Happy New Year! A new year, new adventures.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinstorm View Post
My go to option is to exaggerate what is being said.
That's a go to option of a person that is not of quality.
I'd advise not doing that.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 683,701 times
I don't do 'tests', aka juvenile games.

Was me, I'd give her the two parting words of "grow up" and continue on my merry way to better pastures.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM

137 posts, read 82,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinstorm View Post
I'm aware women test men to see if they are strong and they can trust them. I can usually pass them easily. My go to option is to exaggerate what is being said.

Someone I was seeing once told me I'm a misogynist. We were in the middle of an argument because this person wanted to do something that was clearly out of line, something having to do with a "male friend" and this was her way of shaming me into saying ok. I can assure you I'm nothing but that. I was raised by women and love and respect them.

We are told to not let things get to us emotionally or get offended and is best to take these things as tests and pass them. I said to this person that "sure I'm also a criminal and a bum and so and so".

But then I got to thinking that this was really an insult to me and perhaps I should have responded differently.

When does a test go too far? That is my question.

Thanks.
I think I'm too dense to realize when these tests are happening at all. I think it's petty.

A woman calls me a misogynist I'll probably do as you did even if I don't recognize it as a test anyway: turn it into a joke by cranking it up further. Then see whether she was being serious or not. If she's serious well then, there's not really any reason to stay, is there? If she really thought you're a misogynist, why would she hang out with you at all?

Old 12-30-2021, 11:11 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Healthy people don’t test others. If your SO does that, walk away.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamexe View Post
I think I'm too dense to realize when these tests are happening at all. I think it's petty.
If you're dating quality people, these types of childish games don't happen.

If I was called a misogynist, or was told something I said was misogynistic, by a smart person who knows me well, I'd not be thinking of going on the offensive, but be doing some serious self introspection to see if there is anything to the claim.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:22 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
To the OP:

How do you know you're being "tested"?

Old 12-30-2021, 11:27 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
I have never "tested" a man. What exactly would that look like?

Old 12-30-2021, 11:29 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Well...first off, I think that a difference of opinion about what is or isn't "out of line" regarding a "male friend" is a compatibility problem. A man in my life does not get tested to prove that he is strong and authoritative, if he doesn't agree with how I conduct my friendships with others then I guess we're not a good fit for each other. That's pretty simple. No need for name calling, we're just done.

But the sarcastic exaggeration in a disagreement is also not cool. I mean, I wouldn't have called you a misogynist in the first place, but like, a situation if I told a partner hypothetically that I felt he was speaking disrespectfully to me and I didn't appreciate it, and he (just for instance to illustrate) said something like, "Fine, I will never speak to you at all, never again!" (which is a tactic a certain person I used to be with would do)... Like blowing it up to the ridiculous place to derail my train of reason somehow? Yeah, I wouldn't tolerate that, either.

So far I've identified at least 3 good reasons not to be with somebody in this story...
- They feel that they are an authority figure to tell me how to conduct my relationships with others.
- They call me names (as she did you.)
- They go all sarcastic/ridiculous/exaggerated to derail an argument.

Oh, and a fourth...if they play petty games to "test" me in some way. No thanks on that one, too. (I'm a woman and I don't have time for the giving or receiving of such nonsense.)

Probably for the best if this thing is over, I guess. Better luck next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships