Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:33 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,978,921 times

Advertisements

If it bothers you that much you can't get used to it. Find yourself a spinster virgin so you won't be jealous of her past. Of course you may wind up being jealous of any man she comes in contact with. In the middle east men solve this problem by making their wives wear a burka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 10:57 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,359,830 times
I can't find the post where you stated that she hooked up with someone the night before you 2 spent the day together. You're supplying too many and yet not enough details to make sense out of this.

-How did you find this out?
-When you day you 2 were talking, what does "talking" mean or why is it significant?

Old 02-09-2022, 11:15 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,038,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I can't find the post where you stated that she hooked up with someone the night before you 2 spent the day together. You're supplying too many and yet not enough details to make sense out of this.

-How did you find this out?
-When you day you 2 were talking, what does "talking" mean or why is it significant?
I think he deleted it. It is gone.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:21 AM

19,748 posts, read 12,312,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Guess he isn't ready to get into the nitty gritty.

His girlfriend is questionable (or very clumsy) if she hit him over the head with that information. That would make anyone feel like dog crap and throw them off balance. Different than just admitting to having had a few hookups in the past.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:28 AM

137 posts, read 82,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy1975 View Post
I am really hoping to get some feedback from others that may have found themselves in a similar way on this topic. I love my girlfriend more than anything however seem to be struggling with things she has done in the past prior to us becoming an exclusive couple.

I know it’s wrong and I know and want o simply say that is none of my business and only look at her as who she is now. Especially since I myself have made questionable decisions and done things that I’m not proud of. When I say things it’s not even things that are all that bad, maybe a few no stings one night stands but nothing really beyond that and lord knows I’m no angel with that myself.

Regardless of how much I reason with myself it just sticks in my head no wont get out. just recently we had our first argument and I had a little too much to drink and I let all that pent up frustration out. It was terrible and I know I hurt her and never want to do that again. She doesn’t deserve that and is a wonderful woman.

I also know that if I am not comfortable with who she is than I should move on but that is not it at all, its stupid jealousy at its ugliest. I just dont get it, I dont think poorly of her and know these feelings are wrong. I have always and still am super confident and hardly ever jealous and don’t know if its different now because I am so much more in love with this woman that I have ever been with anyone else or what.
I tend to think that jealousy in that form generally comes from one of two things:
1- Insecurity
2- Values and beliefs about how a "proper" woman should behave.

In other words, one is something that has to do with your perception of yourself, the others has to do with your perception of her.

It's yours to determine which it is by introspecting and finding out what exactly it is that triggers you about this.

The first part I divide also in two: it might be literal insecurity about one's ability to perform, that is, the fear that her past experiences will far exceed whatever you can bring her, or it might be a more narcissistic fear, rooted in the juvenile and petty (not judging... I've felt that myself in the past, although I'm free from that now) belief that you have to be the best of the best she's ever had (which her past experiences make you worried you can't realistically attain, or are facing too much competition).

Personally, I still sometimes worry about this first insecurity, which I think is not always completely irrational. But it's about sexual practices, not really about her past partners. Say a woman tells me stories that show she's into a level of kinkiness that I don't even come close to, I might worry that I won't be able to live up to her expectations, or that I will feel inadequate, even if she tells me she's not really into that stuff anymore. I'm not sure what to do about that. It's more about foretold sexual incompatibility.

But about past partners? Meh. I think it's about giving too much importance to sex, as if it was the single most important attribute you could have. The truth is, that person is with you now, not with her past relationships. If she wanted what they had to offer, she'd still be with them, or with someone like them. So there's that. By a certain age, the women you meet have all had plenty of experiences, and you just have to accept that realistically, there's a pretty good chance that you won't be the best. It's just a fact. Why would you be? What's so special about you? That's true for any woman you meet, not just the one you're with now. Just like there's a decent chance that they won't necessarily be the best you've had either.

That's where your perception of sex, and of yourself, need to change. It needs to stop being a competition, or a proving ground, and just something you share. Besides, if that can comfort you, you're more than likely getting the best version of her. Because the best version is the one with the most experience, which by definition, is always the one you meet at this point in time. She knows herself better, knows what she wants better, knows her way around a man better.

There is no version of her that exists without the accumulation of her experiences. That's true of sex, and of everything else. Take away any of these experiences and you take away part of her. She would not be who she is to you now without them.

As for the 2nd part, your perception of what is a proper way for a woman to act, well, that's on you. Maybe that is something you can change, maybe not. If what you know about her make you have less respect for her, or resent her, then maybe she just isn't the right person for you right now. But know that the problem there would be you, not her.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:41 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,359,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Good. I wondered for a minute if I imagined it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Guess he isn't ready to get into the nitty gritty.

His girlfriend is questionable (or very clumsy) if she hit him over the head with that information. That would make anyone feel like dog crap and throw them off balance. Different than just admitting to having had a few hookups in the past.
Unless he asked, which is pretty clumsy on his part. But if she just volunteered that info about a hookup after we were in some stage of dating I'd feel a little misused. Uncomfortable. Mostly because why would she think I'd want to know?

Old 02-09-2022, 11:44 AM

3,001 posts, read 1,678,484 times
You made plans to spend the day together and the night before she met someone and had sex with him.

Shows rather questionable judgement.

Then she compounds that judgement by telling you she did it.

What did she think "confessing" was going to accomplish? Or was she bragging? It's just such an odd sequence of events that without more information I can't really process it. It's just so thoughtless and in a way cruel. Look at the amount of suffering it's brought you.

I don't think you're jealous so much as hurt and you recognize inappropriate behavior when confronted with it. Has she shown impulsive poorly thought out choices in other areas?

Well anyway you're in love with her now. And your question is how to stop dwelling on it. Tough one.

Personally I'd have problems getting over something like this too. I think it's going to be a matter of doing some soul-searching on your part. And making some hard choices. Which is more important to you, your relationship or the ONS? And the fact that she volunteered the information?

You control your thoughts and actions. Make a conscious decision to take control, as of now you're being self-indulgent letting your thoughts run out of control. Don't do that, you can take charge.

Good luck, and stay off the sauce.

Last edited by RubyandPearl; 02-09-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 01:44 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,806,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy1975 I have already determined that drinks are out until I can get on the otherside of this and it it takes therapy to assure this doesn’t impact her or our relationship then thats what I’ll do. I do believe it will fade away and its just the initial sting and surprise of it all. It’s been a long time since either of us have opened up to someone so there is a vulnerability there that is new for us. She is very open and I do trust her so that is not an issue at all. She did the right thing and i dont hold her accountable for how I feel. It’s my problem, not hers and she owns none of it.

When I first met her she was just very wholesome, never with anyone but her husband etc and then when we started dating to hear about these threw me. I think what really got me was a one night stand she had in the early stages of us talking that happened the night before we spent the day together.
When she first met you, did she actually tell you that she was "never with anyone but her husband", or did you make this assumption?

It seems to me that you may have built her up in your mind without actually knowing a whole lot about her. And once she revealed her 'true self', your romanticized vision of her was...busted.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:55 PM

5,710 posts, read 3,206,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Good. I wondered for a minute if I imagined it

Unless he asked, which is pretty clumsy on his part. But if she just volunteered that info about a hookup after we were in some stage of dating I'd feel a little misused. Uncomfortable. Mostly because why would she think I'd want to know?

He said she told him. I think maybe it was on the first page.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:11 PM

19,768 posts, read 20,334,973 times
Re:"I think what really got me was a one night stand she had in the early stages of us talking that happened the night before we spent the day together."

Tainted love..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships