Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 04:27 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Up to 5% the population has narcissistic personality disorder. Extropolate that out to 248 million Americans, and 8 billion people on earth, and that's a lot of people. Also, estimates are that 158 million Americans, more than half the US population, have been exposed to narcissistic abuse.

So no, it's not tossed around too much.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/narciss...e-in-the-u-s#1
And if you work in retail, you'll notice a ton of self-entitlement activity by people; they're not necessarily Narcissists, but that would be one of the traits. There's more of them than you would think (5% seems kind of a low estimate; not sure how that percentage was determined and don't have time to read the article. It also may be that there's a great deal more that may not exactly be able to be diagnosed with this disorder; they exhibit several of the traits, but fall short perhaps by a marker or two. Yet they would lean way more toward being that way if there were like a "narcissist spectrum" than say a non-narcissist person. It's typically difficult to slap labels on people and expect a clear categorization; it's more often shades of gray).

When someone uses the term I just figure they know the person well enough to assess that they demonstrate many characteristics of a Narcissist, not that they've been diagnosed. It just strikes me that a great majority have not been. Like my brother, I wouldn't know if he's been diagnosed, but he has demonstrated beyond any shred of a doubt many narcissistic traits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 08:17 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
That was a great article. The gyst is that there are literally billions of victims of narcissist abuse but there is almost no public awareness of the problem. Leaving victims with few or no places to turn for understanding and compassion or help.

I was raised by one and have/had c-PTSD from it. This was the opinion of my therapist but once she told me this I could clearly see it. Some of my experiences with emotional abuse in my childhood are so hair raising I would probably be accused of trolling or lying if I relayed them so I tend to keep it to myself.

But some examples are being, frequently, publicly shamed, humiliated, and berated. Being told I was lying or faking it any time I had an illness or injury. Being told I was lying when I disclosed sexual abuse. Being accused of being manipulative if I cried and being screamed at and threatened with violence because I was crying.

Last edited by moongirl00; 03-25-2022 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 11:45 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
A narcissist has the potential to be a "good guy"? How do you figure?

I figure he's good looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships