Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 03:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Ask a guy a question. One he can show off answering. Like maybe a Nature question, or science.

It just occurred to me that always worked for me, though it was unconscious.

Right now, our condo complex is all single retired guys so I tailor my conversations towards them.
Don't talk about "girly" stuff, is my advice. I'm married, but I remember the game, lol.

Once you get better acquainted, you can move on to other conversations.

I wish you could get some kind of dating "coach" who could watch your interactions and see what vibe is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Ask a guy a question. One he can show off answering. Like maybe a Nature question, or science.

Right now, our condo complex is all single retired guys so I tailor my conversations towards them.
Don't talk about "girly" stuff, is my advice. I'm married, but I remember the game, lol.

I wish you could get some kind of dating "coach" who could watch your interactions and see what vibe is going on.
I will add this to the toolkit!

Old 04-19-2022, 03:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,210 times
Quote:

This is good advice. OP says she doesn't even have male friends which seems unusual. Guys often are open to being friends with women even if they don't want to date.

OP did you grow up around men at all? Brothers, cousins, a father?

I think for a lot of people that kinda trains them how to talk to men. The way to talk to them is different from how to talk to women. A lot of this isn't conscious but once one starts to analyze it, can see it.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I will add this to the toolkit!
You won't fix this with a toolkit

Old 04-19-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
This is good advice. OP says she doesn't even have male friends which seems unusual. Guys often are open to being friends with women even if they don't want to date.

OP did you grow up around men at all? Brothers, cousins, a father?

I think for a lot of people that kinda trains them how to talk to men. The way to talk to them is different from how to talk to women. A lot of this isn't conscious but once one starts to analyze it, can see it.
I did not grow up with many male relatives other than my father, but I had male friends in college. They eventually married and moved away, so we’re not in contact anymore.

This still wouldn’t explain my original point - getting return reactions as a result of improved self-esteem and self-love.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Are you and your Dad close?

Old 04-19-2022, 04:02 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Quote:

I suggested months ago she do a video on youtube of her talking about her likes and dislikes so people could actually see her. That was rejected. I don't think she really wants to know, or she would have found a way to get an outside opinion on how she comes off. But then she wouldn't be able to post the question another 1500 times on CD, and say nothing anyone has suggested has worked for her.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Are you and your Dad close?
Yes

Also, I mentioned months ago that I did do a session with a dating coach.

At any rate, back to my original question - interested in what I was asking - how heavily should one weigh external responses from people versus internal self-esteem?

Old 04-19-2022, 04:27 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Yes

Also, I mentioned months ago that I did do a session with a dating coach.

At any rate, back to my original question - interested in what I was asking - how heavily should one weigh external responses from people versus internal self-esteem?
low self esteem attracts abusive, crazy and all sorts of people you should NOT be dating. It can also attract other people with low self esteem. However, you do not come across as a person with low self esteem. You seem to know your "worth" and what you "deserve."

Old 04-19-2022, 05:00 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,281,210 times
OP I like you and enjoy talking with you.

You posted a thread and I could be wrong but it feels like in the last posts you are feeling offended a bit.

I get it because I post a lot of threads here and feel attacked in a lot of them! Sometimes its truly that some toxic people come out of the woodwork with an agenda. But sometimes its people who like me and are trying to help. And perhaps I am in a space where the advice given feels like criticism or an attack. So my defenses go up.

Perhaps something like this is occurring? I don't know. But it seems like most people here really do like you. Maybe there are one or two that come at you too aggressively. That happens.

But I think it would not be inappropriate to let down your guard and take in some feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships