Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 07:48 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times

Advertisements

If I know someone isn't a great conversationalist, I wouldn't trap them into daily, hours-long phone calls that they're struggling with. There have to be other ways for OP to bond and communicate--text memes to each other; write emails back and forth, have shorter calls less often, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 10:12 AM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It will never get better.
One of my first thoughts as well.

I, you, we've all come across these types of people. The ones that just drone on and on and on. I've got one friend that asks me something about me or my family, then it's off to the races about themselves, yap yap yap.

I've got a coworker that whenever we go to lunch he just drones on and on. Often times it's about some completely boring obscure topic and I wonder where the hell he finds these things to drone on about.

Can't get a word in edgewise with some people.

One of the funny things I've noticed is that there is a stereotype of women being more on the talkative side. Not in my experience, same goes with gossiping.

I've been around far more men that talk excessively and gossip excessively than I have woman doing that.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:19 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If I know someone isn't a great conversationalist, I wouldn't trap them into daily, hours-long phone calls that they're struggling with. There have to be other ways for OP to bond and communicate--text memes to each other; write emails back and forth, have shorter calls less often, etc.
It's funny how people assume things about this relationship. Such as -- I trap HIM into hours-long phone calls. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:33 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe its just their way of communicating. Listening is not their strong suit. Sometimes when I get with a particular group of my wife's friends, they ALL talk at the same time. Sometimes gets to be sensory overload for me. They're all good caring people, but they are all talkers/entertainers, not listeners.

On the other hand, maybe he is just starved for someone to listen to him. And he will talk your ear off. Sounds like there may be some particular situation that may have triggered that behavior.

Sometimes communicating is a lot more difficult on the phone because you can't use body language to steer the conversation.

Don't know that I have helpful advice, but I wanted to counter all the people saying he must be a terrible, socially incompetent person who doesn't care a whiff about you.

Maybe if you value the relationship and can't get him to listen, make sure you have other people who you CAN actually talk to.
Yes, I appreciate the posters like yourself who have actually given some thoughtful advice rather than making assumptions and being downright nasty. And not just on my post. It's sad to be that miserable with your life. Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
I understand that sometimes a person in one's life is really needed emotionally and that person might be a life raft - but sometimes that one person who is sort of a lifesaver has significant faults or deficits.

So it can be a dilemma.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:10 AM

1,555 posts, read 782,843 times
LD relationships are so 90’s and 00’s. It was popular because of the newly internet.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:47 AM

1,655 posts, read 777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
LD relationships are so 90’s and 00’s. It was popular because of the newly internet.
My 80 yr old aunt has one but she just started using the internet this year. . Guy has already asked her for money.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 5,165,355 times
I had a girl friend who complained that we didn't communicate...I told her I didn't want to talk about it.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,693,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It's funny how people assume things about this relationship. Such as -- I trap HIM into hours-long phone calls. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The truth as you put it in the OP is that you have hours long phone conversations. It seems like he isn’t particularly adept at them, so what other communication methods have you tried. Do you text? FaceTime? Etc? A lot of people just aren’t great on the phone and require other things like visual cues to help them get into a conversation.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:12 AM

1,655 posts, read 777,385 times
This may just be my observation but I’ve had a few people agree — A LOT of people both male and female just aren’t good at talking. Conversations can be very shallow with very little depth. I’ve theorized that it has something to do with the internet shortening our attention spans…and possibly how it has made people sorta disposable so a point of deeper conversation is rarely reached. Just talked with someone about this last night…our supposedly brief conversation ran into 3 hours…a back and forth conversation like that stimulates me possibly more than sex though. I’ve talked with some people where it’s like you have to pull some words out of them. I’ll call out the awkward silence and say what’s going here in a joking manner.

Last edited by GoAmericaGo; 08-11-2022 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships