Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 03:48 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think you miss the point entirely re: career, money, fitness, a social life, travel, altruism and so on is all about our own happiness and psychological health; dating/meeting women is a natural product of such - not an end goal. If one is attempting to do all (or even just some) of the above as strategy, obviously they aren’t happy or psychologically well; and what woman would be ‘wooed’ by such i.e. quality dating is not a sales pitch, lol.
Start a thread entitled “average guy looking to attract more dates” and see what advice people are likely to give. Having a nice car that’s clean and having your own home is just standard advice (look at the thread with the guy who lived with his grandmother). If he’s out of shape I can guarantee people will say to start eating better and exercise. If he couldn’t care less about clothing, I can guarantee people will say to make effort there. Being clean and smelling good goes without saying. I can almost guarantee people will say to take up a hobby and get involved in things that interest the person.

In many ways dating IS a sales pitch. The sales pitch gets your foot in the door. If your sales pitch is lame you might sit on the sidelines quite a while.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:49 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Nah.

Teachers and nurses are a dime a dozen. They're married to all sorts.

The education thing really doesn't mean as much these days. Any fool can get a masters degree, and it's no guarantee of even a job, let alone a good one or a whole career.

White collar careers are less stable these days. People get pushed off the track, burnt out, aged out. Etc. I know a friend who is pharmacist for 20 years and for a variety of reasons, he's pushed out.

What you can do to string together the pieces is dependent on the individual.
You had me out the door with teachers and nurses being a dime a dozen and totally outta here with any fool can get a Masters degree.

I have a Masters and it is not an endeavor a stupid man will survive. Same for teaching or nursing. To make those statements is totally ignorant of all the work and sacrifice those endeavors take and please believe it is a LOT not everyone can do.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Start a thread entitled “average guy looking to attract more dates” and see what advice people are likely to give. Having a nice car that’s clean and having your own home is just standard advice (look at the thread with the guy who lived with his grandmother). If he’s out of shape I can guarantee people will say to start eating better and exercise. If he couldn’t care less about clothing, I can guarantee people will say to make effort there. Being clean and smelling good goes without saying. I can almost guarantee people will say to take up a hobby and get involved in things that interest the person.

In many ways dating IS a sales pitch. The sales pitch gets your foot in the door. If your sales pitch is lame you might sit on the sidelines quite a while.
Just what is "average" anyway?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Apparently, so is "average." One woman's "average" may be another woman's "hottie."

Personally, I wouldn't someone to "pitch" to me. And if I saw that they were trying to "sell" me, I'd be outta there...no matter how good their 'product' might be in their eyes.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You had me out the door with teachers and nurses being a dime a dozen and totally outta here with any fool can get a Masters degree.

I have a Masters and it is not an endeavor a stupid man will survive. Same for teaching or nursing. To make those statements is totally ignorant of all the work and sacrifice those endeavors take and please believe it is a LOT not everyone can do.
I agree. Teacher/nurse is probably at least top 25-30% of the population based on smarts, will and responsibility.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
It’s rare and not likely mainly because teachers and nurses typically have post secondary educations while the Jiffy Lube person probably does not. They don’t typically run in the same frequent circles.
Maybe I am thinking of this all wrong. I think of Jiffy Lube guy as skilled labor, like a construction worker, pest control guy, etc. They could easily run in the same circles as teachers or LPNs, especially if they grew up in the same town, went to HS together, etc. They probably also live in the same middle-class neighborhoods and go to the same bars and events. They probably make about the same money when they're starting out too. (25-40K)

Old 08-18-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Just what is "average" anyway?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Apparently, so is "average." One woman's "average" may be another woman's "hottie."

Personally, I wouldn't someone to "pitch" to me. And if I saw that they were trying to "sell" me, I'd be outta there...no matter how good their 'product' might be in their eyes.
We can wrangle over definitions of average for days. Not really a debate I’m looking to have with anyone who doesn’t already have a vision of “average”.

And a good salesman will never let you know you’re hearing a sales pitch. That’s part of the game.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:02 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Do not take up the hobby, have an active social life or be clean in order to attract a woman, lol; you should already be doing such for yourself. As stated previously, dating/meeting women is a natural result of a socially/physically active life - not the end goal.

Quote:
You’re never sitting on the sidelines nor do you have to sell anyone on anything if you’re living an active and social life in and of itself.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say getting a nursing degree is easy per se, but there are a lot of nurses around. Tons. And they date a wide variety of people. In a practical/financial sense, it's an excellent degree.

As far the Masters thing, that's your opinion. Obviously ... I have one too.

I think there's very few people who are truly significantly smarter or dumber than the average person (though people have various strengths).

Old 08-18-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Do not take up the hobby, have an active social life or be clean in order to attract a woman, lol; you should already be doing such for yourself. As stated previously, dating/meeting women is a natural result of a socially/physically active life - not the end goal.

You’re never sitting on the sidelines nor do you have to sell anyone on anything if you’re living an active and social life in and of itself.
Not everyone has a socially/physically active life and that is no indication of any sort of psychological problem. And plenty of people with active social/physical lives still look for way to improve upon meeting the opposite sex.

I think people would be shocked by how much human behavior for singles under say 40 is influenced in some way by attracting the opposite sex.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
A man’s life could be consumed by “wooing” women if he listens to online advice or most advice in general.

Workout 4-5 times a week, watch your diet and get enough protein, dress nice and stylish, be extra clean, smell good, have a nice car, keep your car sparkling clean, have a home, keep your home sparkling clean, be well traveled, know how to cook well, have interesting hobbies, have a good social circle, get a high paying job with status, have an edge, look a certain way, be altruistic, etc, etc.

I’m sure it works for a lot of people. But I also hear a lot of people say he or she isn’t the same person I met years into a relationship. Perhaps it’s often because so much effort is put into wooing and isn’t really sustainable long term…like for decades.
So you're saying that men would otherwise not do anything you describe, to better themselves and their personal experience of their own life, unless they are trying to attract a female under (false) pretenses?

I mean, if they aren't trying to attract a woman, then they would

never work out
eat whatever crap is in front of them
dress like a slob
be extra filthy
smell like turd
have a jalopy
keep the jalopy caked with mud
travel nowhere/be a 100% shut-in
not know how to cook at all
have dull or no hobbies
have a non-existent or lousy social circle
get a crummy menial job with no status
be a lump
have no visual appeal
be a self-serving sociopath
etc., etc.?

Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships