Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 10:56 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I love the face she makes at the end as she realizes the relationship is doomed.
As do I! It's also great that special care was taken to show just how fabulous that Paris apartment (complete with an insanely huge and magnificent kitchen and a view of the Eiffel Tower) was and that she was willing to give it and a hot French man up for her love of peanut butter. Peanut butter really *does* perplex the French, so the boyfriend's reaction was spot-on. Fantastic ad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 11:45 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
As a child I was a VERY picky eater. There weren't many things I would eat. After reading this thread, I had a realization that the reason I was picky is because it was a way I could control things. (Rather than anorexia, or cutting, etc.) I'd never really thought about the reason. When I left home at age 21 I moved to a major cosmopolitan city (first L.A., then San Francisco). I started eating lots of different kinds of ethnic food, and love it to this day. My parents were flabbergasted and there was a lot of joking about it back then.

I've known 2 men - both would be in their late 90's now, old white men from farming communities in Wisconsin and Oregon, they never touched vegetables or fruits. Meat and potatoes ONLY. One ended up on dialysis because he ignored warning signs. Died from the mobile dialysis that he chose, which is 4x day, every day. The other died in his sleep in his early 70's. I remember one Thanksgiving his wife (my mom's cousin) forgot to prepare something different for him. Suddenly everything went quiet. Then 20 of us at the dining table had to wait, with food already on the table, for her to fix him something quickly. Talk about awkward. But nobody said a word. I guess the family was used to it. He ate nothing that was on the table. Blew my mind.

I don't know if I could put up with a picky eater. My hat is off to you, OP. The fact that he's so good in other ways is kind of a double-edged sword. I guess time will tell. That's what I do when faced with a decision like this. Last time it happened I made a pro/con list and that helped me decide over time.

OP if your b/f is healthy, then maybe it's not a problem? My housemate has a good friend who won't eat vegetables either. His diet is horrible and he's very unhealthy with lots of problems. He is only 58 yrs old. It's very concerning. I hope that's not the case with your b/f.

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-11-2022 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 11:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, yes it is different. Smoking doesn't just affect the smoker, it affects the entire household concerning health. Someone being a picky eater only affects themselves unless other people choose to make it an issue. Because I think you're really talking about control issues, not health.
Not when the grocery list and meal planning and restaurant choices and holiday meals etc. etc. etc. focuses on the picky eater.

I agree it is a control issue. By the picky eater. Because the picky eater will. not. change.

I also saw the OH! he ate a green bean and WOW! he likes asparagus. And it ended there. Nothing further. And his green beans? He likes them prepared HIS way. And only his way. And the asparagus, well, that was a one-time deal. Never again.

Eating affects the entire household, more so than smoking. No one is forcing you to smoke. But you may be forced to eat other foods to keep the peace. Or just keep fighting every day.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:56 AM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not liking green beans is not a symptom of OCD.
The OP described a lot more than "not liking green beans". She said he doesn't like any green vegetables. But that's not terribly unusual. But what sounded potentially OCD to me was this:
Quote:
He doesn't like texture, food touching other foods etc.
The bolded is unusual. And kids, much less adults, not liking texture is not unheard of, but is unusual. It's a fair question, as to whether there may be other oddities in his behavior.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-11-2022 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 12:31 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not when the grocery list and meal planning and restaurant choices and holiday meals etc. etc. etc. focuses on the picky eater.

I agree it is a control issue. By the picky eater. Because the picky eater will. not. change.

I also saw the OH! he ate a green bean and WOW! he likes asparagus. And it ended there. Nothing further. And his green beans? He likes them prepared HIS way. And only his way. And the asparagus, well, that was a one-time deal. Never again.

Eating affects the entire household, more so than smoking. No one is forcing you to smoke. But you may be forced to eat other foods to keep the peace. Or just keep fighting every day.
And yet some of us, myself included, have described how we happily coexist in households where the two individuals have completely different diets and there is zero conflict.

I'm a picky eater, and my husband is on a Keto diet.

You really are heels-dug-in that it can't be done, but it CAN. Probably not by you, and you seem to know that about yourself. Good!

By some of us, though? You bet.

Grocery list: My husband buys the things he likes and I buy the things I like, we each shop for ourselves. Since we have no kids in the house, each of us can make what we want for ourselves no problem. He's got a hard to find keto friendly sauce that can only be got on Amazon? He'll order it. I only like the apple pies from Target? I'll pick one up for myself if I happen to be up there. Each of us manages our own grocery budget and is able to be frugal or splurge a bit as we wish. Easy.

Meal planning: Husband likes to plan out meals, I don't. I eat what I'm in the mood to eat whenever I feel hungry. Yesterday it was a bagel for breakfast and 2 leftover tacos later on. Today I might feel like having a bowl of Rice Krispies at dinnertime. I have no idea, that's hours away. Husband has a big ol' salad mid morning and something like one of his keto cauliflower crust pizzas or salmon or something in the early evening.

Restaurant choices: Most picky eating adults get to a point where we can find something on the menu we'll like at most places. I don't care for most Asian foods but usually I can get them to do something with teriyaki meat and plain white rice without much of an issue, for instance. There are only a couple of categories of restaurants I will probably avoid, like Greek or Indian food.

Holidays? I'm the one who does the cooking. I make a mean turkey. I don't like celery so my stuffing has none. If I knew I was having a guest who only liked stuffing if it had celery in it, I would set some aside made differently and you know what, it would not be that hard to do for me. I would be happy to do it. For me, accommodating someone's needs is part of how I show that I care about them. And knowing their specific needs and preferences makes me feel good.

I know that some picky eaters can be pretty insufferable, my Grandpa was...everything did have to revolve around his requirements, and other relatives complained about it. But not all of us are like that.

Anyways, you can repeat, "she needs to leave" all you like, the reality is no one is gonna toss themselves out into hardship over something like this. Your opinion as a random internet person does not her reality or relationship dictate (and she apparently isn't even here reading it.) Sorry. Truth is harsh.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:46 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
As do I! It's also great that special care was taken to show just how fabulous that Paris apartment (complete with an insanely huge and magnificent kitchen and a view of the Eiffel Tower) was and that she was willing to give it and a hot French man up for her love of peanut butter. Peanut butter really *does* perplex the French, so the boyfriend's reaction was spot-on. Fantastic ad!
I didn't know that!

(Also didn't know that Kraft peanut butter is only available in Canada, but with their love and highest world consumption of "KD"/Kraft mac n cheese, that makes sense.)

Old 10-11-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
As a child I was a VERY picky eater. There weren't many things I would eat. After reading this thread, I had a realization that the reason I was picky is because it was a way I could control things. (Rather than anorexia, or cutting, etc.) I'd never really thought about the reason. When I left home at age 21 I moved to a major cosmopolitan city (first L.A., then San Francisco). I started eating lots of different kinds of ethnic food, and love it to this day. My parents were flabbergasted and there was a lot of joking about it back then.

I've known 2 men - both would be in their late 90's now, old white men from farming communities in Wisconsin and Oregon, they never touched vegetables or fruits. Meat and potatoes ONLY. One ended up on dialysis because he ignored warning signs. Died from the mobile dialysis that he chose, which is 4x day, every day. The other died in his sleep in his early 70's. I remember one Thanksgiving his wife (my mom's cousin) forgot to prepare something different for him. Suddenly everything went quiet. Then 20 of us at the dining table had to wait, with food already on the table, for her to fix him something quickly. Talk about awkward. But nobody said a word. I guess the family was used to it. He ate nothing that was on the table. Blew my mind.

I don't know if I could put up with a picky eater. My hat is off to you, OP. The fact that he's so good in other ways is kind of a double-edged sword. I guess time will tell. That's what I do when faced with a decision like this. Last time it happened I made a pro/con list and that helped me decide over time.

OP if your b/f is healthy, then maybe it's not a problem? My housemate has a good friend who won't eat vegetables either. His diet is horrible and he's very unhealthy with lots of problems. He is only 58 yrs old. It's very concerning. I hope that's not the case with your b/f.
Here's one way to deal with a MEAN picky eater. A favorite scene from The Prince of Tides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtK3RjRYAd4

Old 10-11-2022, 01:09 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
Oh Lordy, I had forgotten about that scene. So sad. I was just thinking recently that I want to rewatch that movie. Hopefully my mom's cousin only got the silent treatment like she did on that Thanksgiving Day.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
That’s why dinner dates are important to judge someone’s character. You can pretty much guess or tell what someone’s personality, habits, and political bias based on what they eat and sometimes what they drink as well. You can’t really change someone’s diet if they are very determined and reluctant to even try. Then there are people who does eat various stuff but on dates they just eat a few bites and won’t finish it. You can gain a lot of insights by watching people eat and what they choose.

I love going to a buffet and watch what some people choose when given a large variety of choices.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Oh Lordy, I had forgotten about that scene. So sad. I was just thinking recently that I want to rewatch that movie. Hopefully my mom's cousin only got the silent treatment like she did on that Thanksgiving Day.
I liked the movie but then I read the book and realized the movie was about a third of the book. In my top ten, maybe even top five, of novels I ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships