Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 03:48 PM

273 posts, read 155,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single&Looking View Post
I have done meetups, it's mostly women. I participate in interest groups yes! No luck there so far.

Where do I sign up!
What kind of meetup groups are mostly women I'd love to go to some. I tried a walking group that was old ladies >60 and a board game group that was all guys. Most of the singles groups I've seen are <30 or >50. I am 41 and looking at women 35-50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 04:01 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Single&Looking View Post
It is natural to crave companionship and social/sexual intimacy, fulfilled or not. This idea of "I can do everything by myself and I don't need anyone" is a very naive and immature idea. We are social creatures and are not built to be so fragmented from society (alone).
And yet, here you are, single. Where did I say it wasn't natural to crave companionship or to "want to be loved" (whatever that means)? I said DESPITE that, you're not always going to get it and that's the part that is stopping you from really reaching the peace you want. You cannot force anyone to love, like, or even tolerate you because people have free will and their own agency to do what they want to do for themselves. You need to exercise that same agency and mainly focus on what is in your control. So the whole "it's natural to crave companionship" is irrelevant, as it is not helping your situation. Plus I think it's a cop out to keep from thinking deeper on where this desire is really coming from. I would also argue that companionship is relative. It could come in the form of friendship, siblingship, etc. It doesn't have to to be romantic. Everything in our society tells us that romance is the key, which makes me question how much this "craving" is really natural vs socially imposed. Most of the reasons you cite for disliking your single status is that all your friends are paired up.

Last edited by Auraliea; 10-16-2022 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 04:05 PM

46 posts, read 26,891 times
You need to put yourself in the demographic place where others are. Do not live in the suburbs if you are single for example. Cities are great for singles. If you live in the wrong place it will always be difficult IMO.

Old 10-16-2022, 04:43 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingChemist View Post
What kind of meetup groups are mostly women I'd love to go to some. I tried a walking group that was old ladies >60 and a board game group that was all guys. Most of the singles groups I've seen are <30 or >50. I am 41 and looking at women 35-50.
In general more women than men volunteer for most activities. When my friend's wife got breast cancer, I volunteered with Susan G Komen breast cancer walk in Sacramento. I wasn't doing that with the purpose of meeting women, but it was nevertheless a very good place to meet women. I will also say that volunteering tends to be a self recommending activity meaning that the women you meet volunteering if they are single would prefer in general to date a guy that they met volunteering over other guys because your choice to volunteer was revealing some useful ideas about your actual character to them.

https://www.komen.org/

Since you cycle a lot already, you might try to cycle in a more social way. If you lived in Sacramento, I would say try either of these groups but there is likely something similiar where you live. Both of these groups were more men than women, but a lot of the guys were married and the women you would meet here are likely excellent matches for someone like you.

https://sacwheelmen.wildapricot.org/

https://www.sactriclub.com/

I would also look at some sort of structured dance, in Sacramento there was Tango by the River and Midtown Stomp for (swing dancing) and Sacramento Country dance (contra dancing). All of these places were drawing a slightly older crowd than regular nightclubs. Contra Dancing was drawing a mixture of homeschoolers and pot growing hippies in Sacramento. The advantage that dancing had as an activity to meet women is that there tended to be more women than men, so the gender ratio was very favorable. Contra dancing was a type of square dancing and that high level of wholesomeness tended to make everyone involved very courteous, so if you are someone who normally does feel comfortable with dancing because women were just excessively rude to you in nightclubs, start there. Tango was more technically difficult to pick up, but a lot more sensual. Also Latin Dance classes are really good at teaching you how to lead and that has benefits in dating that are applicable to dating outside of dancing.

https://www.rivertango.com/
https://midtownstomp.com/
https://sactocds.wordpress.com/

Old 10-16-2022, 04:45 PM

867 posts, read 456,969 times
The height thing has nothing to do with intimidation, that's just the old once again, the man has a problem just bc he's not interested thing.
Yeah it won't be everyone's cup of tea so what, most women are attracted to taller than themselves guys and wthever, same for a lot of men in the other direction, so what we like what we like.
l know someone though in her 40s, she's a 6ft 3 body builder, she's had no trouble at all meeting interested men but she's engaged now and it seems a very nice relationship too.

She's also wealthy has her own business, she can afford and do whatever she wants none of that was a problem either if anything there's a lot more very comfortable guys out there than women well, if they weren't cleaned out in divorce and starting over anyway.
Before that she was in something else for 10yrs, then single or meeting people 2 or 3yrs then she met this guy.

l'd be thinking as is often the case with long term single people, there is something else. Maybe personality traits or impressions people see and get around them, This lady is a very warm type person, she's pretty out going and friendly too but not in an overly way. l can well see why men like her though in that way she's just a damn nice lady and really nice to talk to.
Must admit , you do come of pretty coolish in your last post but mind you, l know that could also be nothing but just here like this.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:57 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
FYI:
It's not hate - just stating the facts.
He was banned from other places as well.
On 29 June 2022, Peterson's Twitter account was suspended under the site's "hateful conduct policy" after posting a tweet misgendering and deadnaming transgender actor Elliot Page.
No longer a full tenured professor at the University of Toronto.
As a moderator you are deeply misinformed and biased. You're open to debate facts if you have disseminated them instead of reposting misinformation.

He resigned from University due to woke mobs protesting and he doesn't need to teach there, making much more money with his books and private practices.

Twitter will ban anybody who just makes any jokes or directing comments at a gay or transgender person regardless the nature or content. Somehow gays and trans are the new protected classes you can't even make a honest joke. Yet, easy targets like white males are subject of ridicule and mockery and are not protected by moderation on the internet.

That's a clear double standard. All people should be treated equally regardless of gender and race.

His reply to Elliot was to make a point that her gender reorientation as something worth celebrating shouldn't be worth celebrating and that's his opinion. He has a right to disagree with the operation but he did not make a joke or troll.

Banning someone isn't going to stop someone from changing their beliefs or culture. Twitter won't be censoring anymore when Elon takes over.

Jordan Peterson is one of the most inspirational and the most rational intellectual. He does not discriminate whether somebody is gay or straight, he has often discussed gay marriages.

Last edited by MKTwet; 10-16-2022 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-16-2022, 10:33 PM

1,555 posts, read 777,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingChemist View Post
I'm just not really able to. I tried weight lifting in grad school with some friends who showed me how about 15 or so years ago. I didn't really build much muscle. I struggle enough keeping the weight off which I am currently doing pretty well. I lost 30# in 2 months at 5'11" 190#. I stick to cycling and treadmill for that purpose.
Of course you can. I am pretty cut not overly ripped like a body builder. I am 44. You just have to have dedication. The right diet and workout regime. I’ve seen guys go from extreme obese to extreme fit. You gained weight because you were in calorie surplus. I guarantee you get can ripped if you put in the work.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:57 PM

867 posts, read 456,969 times
Actually they've been married so long l forgot but my older brothers wife is 6ft too.
He's a bit shorter than her but l tell you what, l have 6 real sisters but l'd rather talk to her any day she's such a nice lady, so grounded too. Well they must've been married 35yrs- guessing.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:26 AM

273 posts, read 155,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
In general more women than men volunteer for most activities.

Since you cycle a lot already, you might try to cycle in a more social way.

I would also look at some sort of structured dance,
I have heard about volunteering and I consider a rescue group because I love dogs and have 2.

I already belong to and very actively ride with to two bicycle clubs. They are ridiculously male dominated >90% and the few women are >60.

I also heard dance class. I haven't danced since we were forced to in high school 20+ years ago but could consider it.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:06 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
I don't agree that single women all live in cities. Can you provide some statistics about that? Because I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. Single women often don't want to live in cities due to crime because they're afraid, especially if they live alone. Also city apartments tend to be too expensive on a single woman's income. Also, many jobs are out in the suburbs these days anyway and not necessarily in the city. I just don't think you can make a blanket statement that all of the single women are in the city.

I have to agree that Meetups are hit or miss. I would skip all of that online stuff. I think dance clubs are probably geared towards older women but you could try Zumba or yoga classes in your area. I took yoga for awhile and there were tons of women in your age group in yoga and there were multiple men attending the classes. Even an ex-football player. Yoga is NOT just for females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships