Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 10:49 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Every woman I've ever been with has taken food off my plate and often without asking. I've had women try it on a first date! The most annoying part is when I ask "hey, I'm going to go grab some takeout. Would you like anything?" and she says no she isn't hungry. But when I get home all of the sudden she's hungry and starts eating off my plate and sometimes asks if she can eat half. Of course I get irritated, then she acts like I'm the bad guy for not offering some of my food.

Most of my male friends have told me that their female partners do this as well, so it doesn't just seem like my bad luck.

Have you experienced this in a relationship? Do men do this as well?
I am a bit late to the chat but I can tell you, I often say NO to the offer and then when I see and smell the food, I get hungry even if I was not before. My bf ALWAYS brings extra food just in case. That's what a good man does - you should try it instead of getting annoyed. And if she doesn't want it you have leftovers for tomorrow. A win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Look, I don't mind sharing my food in certain situations like if it's a huge portion or we ordered 3 entrees from takeout, but it's rude as hell to eat of someone's plate without asking (unless it's established that both parties are okay with it), rude to reach across the table without asking, and even ruder to eat off someone's plate when they haven't even had the first bite.
Okay, I get that this is annoying and rude. I would never do that. However, is it really THAT important? I am sure you have some flaws, too.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:02 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Okay, I get that this is annoying and rude. I would never do that. However, is it really THAT important? I am sure you have some flaws, too.
Agree.

Time for Dan Savage’s The Price of Admission

https://www.upworthy.com/amp/a-chron...ply-2637293053

Quote:
"There is no settling down without some settling for. There is no long-term relationship without not just putting up with your partner's flaws, but accepting them and then pretending they aren't there. And we like to call it, in my house, 'paying the price of admission.' ...

Your boyfriend who chews with his mouth open, you can say, 'Chew with your #%$&! mouth shut,' and hopefully he'll get there. But if he never does, him chewing with his mouth open might be the price of admission. ...

Old 10-27-2022, 11:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
It may not be super important but there is no rule that anyone has to put up with people who purposely do annoying and rude BS even after you’ve expressed you have a problem with it and they need to cut it out.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:32 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:

No, not really that important and I can't really explain why it bothers me. Perhaps it's just because it happens all the time rather than like once a month. And also we've had the discussion about not doing it several times and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. It's disrespectful to keep doing something when your partner has told you that it bothers them.

These little trivial things can add up and turn into a bigger deal. It makes me think of the "She divorced me because I left dishes by the sink" story. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/she-d...sink_b_9055288

Old 10-27-2022, 12:37 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
To me the food really is not the issue, but I am concerned that you have had repeated discussions with this woman a dozen or more times and nothing has changed regarding her behavior. This woman is not listening to you. She is ignoring your preferences. You should not need to resort to passive agressive behavior like putting hot sause on your food to get her to respect your boundaries.
Agree with this. In the grand scheme of things, this might not be the biggest dealbreaker in the world, but the OP has told this woman several times that he does not like her taking food off of his plate without asking. She's not listening to him, and that's not cute.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:30 PM

Next time just eat ALL of her stuff

Old 10-27-2022, 03:36 PM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
It’s definitely a cultural thing. I’ve grown up learning that sharing is caring, especially coming to foods. I think it’s endearing sharing foods with my loved ones, whether it’s my S.O. or my child, or my family or even close friends. I wouldn’t do this on first date or with someone I’m not in a serious relationship with. No one I’ve been with having an issue with this.

It’s simply an incompatibility if you’re grossed out or annoyed about this with someone who think it’s a loving gesture. Just move on and be with someone who shares your principle.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I am a bit late to the chat but I can tell you, I often say NO to the offer and then when I see and smell the food, I get hungry even if I was not before. My bf ALWAYS brings extra food just in case. That's what a good man does - you should try it instead of getting annoyed. And if she doesn't want it you have leftovers for tomorrow. A win-win.
But I call bs on this I'm-not-hungry bit. Unless you JUST ate, who isn't always at least a little bit hungry all the time, or at least has enough self-awareness that they KNOW that when someone they are with is going to get food and food is going to be in the room, they aren't going want at least some?

What about the part where there's just enough pasta left for one and she says she'll eat the salad and chicken and then she takes his pasta anyway behind his back?

I agree, though, about doing like oh-eve's bf and getting something extra. Then watch and see if she still tries to play some kind of game with going after your food even when you got some for her. If she is just hungry even thought she claimed not to have been before, she's got her fries or whatever. IF she's jerking your chain, and still goes after something on your plate even when you got her something of her own, then you know this is manipulative behavior, and it's never going to stop.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:27 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
next time just eat all of her stuff
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships