Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 03:02 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwestside View Post
Don't mind me. Posting to subscribe to the thread.
Top right side of the page is a box labeled 'Thread Tools' that should open a box where you can subscribe to the thread.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:43 PM

11,399 posts, read 24,482,969 times
You know, a woman could have a part time job and use her extra day off to run the house, if her partner agreed. Fewer hours doesn’t always mean low pay. That’s not the same as being “kept”.

Old 01-31-2024, 06:00 PM

6,886 posts, read 4,902,664 times
It occurs to me there are plenty of men that want to be kept. Not as in not having a job, but as in having a female partner that does the cooking, laundry, cleaning, child stuff, making his life much easier. My late husband and I were very lucky with each other. He loved to cook and excelled at it. I'd help choo veg or clean up. I was happy to do the mowing and most other outdoor chores. I did the laundry, he ironed his own shirts. We did the other housework together.

I did have a job. Most of my husband's friends had stay at home wives. He told me they were insanely jealous. :-)

Old 01-31-2024, 07:46 PM

24,652 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You know, a woman could have a part time job and use her extra day off to run the house, if her partner agreed. Fewer hours doesn’t always mean low pay. That’s not the same as being “kept”.
My used to be kept mate still deals with cat boxes, dinner, errands and me. Not to mention he pays the bills.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:32 AM

845 posts, read 781,091 times
Meh, if my marriage broke up I would consider a relationship that had a financial component with me footing the bill.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:23 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,128,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Let’s all get one thing straight . California is a high cost of living state as most of you know and maybe it’s just the kind of ladies I encounter but there have been a rise or scary amount of people looking for a partner to fully support them financially - in others words a sugar daddy or maybe not unless you both come to terms only one of you ( man or lady) will be working full time - you will be the primary provider
It's the ladies you encounter and not necessarily women in general. A large majority of the females in my circle are just like that. They jump from relationship to relationship looking for the guy that will support them fully financially (and then some). While they are my friends and I enjoy time spent with them, I generally don't date seriously anyone in that circle.

I was just dating a lady recently and it turned serious very quickly. She moved away and I was fitting the bill for her to visit so we can continue to spend time together. I was honest and transparent with her that financially, I'm focused on my 3 kids and do still send financial support voluntarily to my exwife. She stood me up a couple times. I find out through a freind of mine (who warned me about her) that she actually did use the money I sent her to visit but ditched me for another guy. She said she really "liked" me but was looking for someone with more a permanent outlook financially. The other guy is a friend of mine; career, good job, no children, and currently leaving another lady he has been supporting for the past several years. Yeah.... I got played... covered her expenses for a couple of visits here to see another guy.

Never again will I make that mistake. I'm still on the fence about having a serious discussion with the other guy friend but I perhaps I should just drop it for the sake of our friendship. He knows exactly what he is getting into anyways.

With that said, many of them are not raised in this country, hold lower income jobs, live above means, and do struggle financially. So in their culture, it is expected that men are providers, and being female available for companionship is seemingly the best they have to offer. So I don't necessarily see this as being lazy or bad; just different. I just don't appreciate being deceived.

From my experience, men are still loved on the condition they can provide.

As to how people do it.. support another fully? I would say the first step is to focus on increasing your income. Whether through training, improving skills, and education or a trade. Then live within your means and then some. I for one would not live in CA due to the high cost of living. I live in NJ which is bad enough but I am a very modest spender with a good income. The end result is a large disposable income that I in turn invest. A lot of women put a lot of energy into themselves in terms of how they present themselves and health. Men should do similar when it comes to their ability to provide.

Last edited by usayit; 02-01-2024 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-03-2024, 03:21 PM

880 posts, read 466,926 times
Can;t say it was ever a thing here though. l did have met 1 or 2 broke women but mainly due to a bad divorce and starting over type situation, talking 40s give or take.
most are pretty comfy though here house car still working and stuff. l met one had 5houses , she wasn't posh or some nut business type just a nurse actually she just started buying houses in her 20s always like investing . Very dte.
Another girl had a beautiful but not posh or anything 17 hect hobby property only 40s but her hub had passed away earlier and this was their place they were building up earlier.
A doctor she was on very good money running some small hospital and not concerned with whatever l earnt though she was a damn nice lady too actually.
But none of those hit the spot my partner wasn't in a great position but it wasn't about any of that we just hit the spot and that's what's important.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:33 PM

48,565 posts, read 34,949,541 times
What the OP doesn't seem to appreciate is that these women are being upfront and honest with him.

You can't really complain about that IMO.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM

32,123 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe you are watching fake panel discussions with fake college co-eds.

I guess I just don't see that in my neck of the woods. I see 20 somethings still living at home while going to school or working full time jobs and putting off marriage and cohabitation and children.
If you look at statistics of those aged 16-24 60% of women are in the workforce while 60.4% of men are in the workforce.
Nearly half of single, college-educated 20 somethings live in a small handful of cities. A little under a fifth live in 8 cities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...rated-few.html

I think this skews the conversation quite a bit. If you're a retiree living in a small town in Texas, the expectations probably don't make sense to you. But since most college-educated singles are living in and around big cities, they are exposed to a lot of people who are doing very well financially, even if that's not the case for the majority of young people in their city.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:44 PM

36,595 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nearly half of single, college-educated 20 somethings live in a small handful of cities. A little under a fifth live in 8 cities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rela...rated-few.html

I think this skews the conversation quite a bit. If you're a retiree living in a small town in Texas, the expectations probably don't make sense to you. But since most college-educated singles are living in and around big cities, they are exposed to a lot of people who are doing very well financially, even if that's not the case for the majority of young people in their city.
Would those be the 40% that are not in the workforce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships