Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 11:43 AM

1,929 posts, read 917,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then she is dumb.

Yep. I grew up with a girl down the street, who had no goals except to get married and have babies. I told her how stupid that was. When/if the guy leaves you or dies, she would have no job experience to fall back on, and she'd wind up on the government dole. And guess what? That's exactly what happened. She had twins first pregnancy, and the guy left her after a about ten years of supporting her. She wound up moving back in with her mother, and then her mother died. She was penniless, living in a HUD trailer, and wound up on welfare and WIC for the kids. I lost touch after I moved away.

I thank God and my parents that I was raised with a working mother and father, as it gave me a foundation to build upon.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:46 AM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
As do several posters here who clearly have taken issue with my honesty about wishing my spouse made more money. Hell, I wish *I* made more money too.
You said: Looking back, I think it was a major oversight on my behalf. My wife now works; however, she makes about 1/3 of what I do and I do feel pressure as the majority bread earner. I often think how great it would be to be partnered with someone who makes nearly as much or even more than I do, essentially doubling the family income.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:52 AM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is not really how it came across in your post.

You stated you think about being with someone who made more money, not about you and your wife making more money as a couple. You said nothing about earning more yourself but put it on your wife.
Sorry to have upset you. I'll tread more carefully with my next post.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You said: Looking back, I think it was a major oversight on my behalf. My wife now works; however, she makes about 1/3 of what I do and I do feel pressure as the majority bread earner. I often think how great it would be to be partnered with someone who makes nearly as much or even more than I do, essentially doubling the family income.
And? I'm still not understanding what is wrong here. To wish your spouse made more money is some kind of negative? What if you wished they were taller? Or laughed more? Or had nicer in-laws? All "wrong" too? Gotta love the second you share just a tiny bit of honesty the wolves come out with their fangs.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
the wolves come out with their fangs

Let's be honest now, turnabout is fair play; you've done your share of biting others for comments they've made.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:18 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Sorry to have upset you. I'll tread more carefully with my next post.
No worries.

Last edited by tamajane; 01-30-2024 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-30-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Let's be honest now, turnabout is fair play; you've done your share of biting others for comments they've made.
I'll admit I can be rough when I feel like it's deserved yes. The sheer number of warnings I have here is evidence, lol.

I'm not nearly as hard on posters on this particular forum as many others consistently are. I'm usually more harsh to the folks who reply pretending to be so perfect when replying to many people who are simply seeking advice.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:07 PM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Yea she was very attractive. Just looking for a husband to care for her for life though.

I just don’t understand how people think it’s so easy to pull that off with how cost of living is going though nowadays . Food, rent, date nights out, cars and me having the desire to one day have a home and travel constantly

Plus if we broke up ? What would happen then ? Alimony or palimony

Beautiful yeah but very lazy.

Sure there are men that make more than six figures but certainly that’s not the case for every gentleman
How they pull it off is to hold out for a compatible techie, corporate lawyer, or other high earner, and they figure their looks will buy their way into that crowd. They don't waste time on people making 60K.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:20 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Most of our marriage DH was the sole income earner... maybe 6 out of 11 years, and we lived in Hawaii.

He made good money, and I came with a huge chunk o cash from the sale of my home, so when we bought a house, our mortgage was low.

Our financial situations fit. He made good money, followed by 2 good pensions. I came with a lot of cash, 2 small pensions, and a good 401(k). We are in our mid 50s.

My sister and husband our younger and live in CA. They could live on just her income, but don't.

They bought their NorCal house like 10 years ago. It was definitely a fixer upper, and they did. Renovated almost everything. A year later the whole neighborhood was razed to the ground by a wildfire. So now they have a brand new house, with the same old mortgage.

My niece, same area of CA, just moved in with her fiance who owns a condo. THEY spent the last year renovating it. They are planning on children soon, so she will stop work for probably a year? The fiance could afford the mortgage alone, so he will be able to while she is out of work too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-30-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I'll admit I can be rough when I feel like it's deserved yes. The sheer number of warnings I have here is evidence, lol.

Yes, I do the same, especially to people who are beating up on others, although sometimes I'll just add them to my Ignore List because they are consistently jerks that mean no help at all, therefore they are just trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships