Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I heard a sayings once that said,
Women would rather have a rose once a month then a dozen once a year
Same things the last few posts, it's the thought behind it that counts.
Yes consistency, its that what have you done for me lately thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
My gift giving policy goes as thus. I like to call this the "10 Gift Commandments"

1: I do not give gifts to reciprocate. Meaning you should not expect a gift in return just because you gave me one.

2: I do not give gifts out of order with current financial status. In other words, if I'm broke, or near broke, and I have a choice of a tank of gas or a gift for you...guess what?

3: I do not give gifts based on holiday obligation. In other words, you might get a Christmas gift...or you might not.

4: I do not (always) give gifts that cost money. In other words, my gift might be a poem I wrote (don't write anymore), or something else.

5: I do not give gifts out of order of current relationship status. In other words, if you're just a male friend, you'd be lucky to get a card. If you're a female friend, you're lucky to get a gift card. If we're dating, that's when the special stuff happens.

6: I do not give gifts in short order of the commencement of the relationship. In other words, if we hook up a week before your birthday, do not expect a gift.

7: I do not succumb to pressure for a gift. If we're at the mall, you can drool over that necklace all you want...doesn't mean you're getting it, and likely you won't unless we're soon to be married, and even then, don't expect me to drop half a 10 pack on you ($5000).

8: I do not wrap gifts. Sorry, I do my part for the environment. If it's a surprise, I have my ways.

9: I do not give gift receipts. You will not be allowed to return a gift I give you. Take it, like it. Don't care if you give it to family or friends...but you're not getting my cash.

And...the most important rule...

10: If I give you a gift, and we break up, I WILL take it back. I gave a girl a four leaf clover encased in glass from RedEnvelope once. She started arguing with me about everything, then lied about being single. Better believe I snatched that bad boy right back and gave it to a better female. Same with that gold-dipped rose I once gave a female.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My gift giving policy goes as thus. I like to call this the "10 Gift Commandments"

1: I do not give gifts to reciprocate. Meaning you should not expect a gift in return just because you gave me one.

2: I do not give gifts out of order with current financial status. In other words, if I'm broke, or near broke, and I have a choice of a tank of gas or a gift for you...guess what?

3: I do not give gifts based on holiday obligation. In other words, you might get a Christmas gift...or you might not.

4: I do not (always) give gifts that cost money. In other words, my gift might be a poem I wrote (don't write anymore), or something else.

5: I do not give gifts out of order of current relationship status. In other words, if you're just a male friend, you'd be lucky to get a card. If you're a female friend, you're lucky to get a gift card. If we're dating, that's when the special stuff happens.

6: I do not give gifts in short order of the commencement of the relationship. In other words, if we hook up a week before your birthday, do not expect a gift.

7: I do not succumb to pressure for a gift. If we're at the mall, you can drool over that necklace all you want...doesn't mean you're getting it, and likely you won't unless we're soon to be married, and even then, don't expect me to drop half a 10 pack on you ($5000).

8: I do not wrap gifts. Sorry, I do my part for the environment. If it's a surprise, I have my ways.

9: I do not give gift receipts. You will not be allowed to return a gift I give you. Take it, like it. Don't care if you give it to family or friends...but you're not getting my cash.

And...the most important rule...

10: If I give you a gift, and we break up, I WILL take it back. I gave a girl a four leaf clover encased in glass from RedEnvelope once. She started arguing with me about everything, then lied about being single. Better believe I snatched that bad boy right back and gave it to a better female. Same with that gold-dipped rose I once gave a female.
I feel so happy and fortunate to have never met people like you. Hope I never do. Not that they'll be around for long even if they somehow cross my path...

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,574 times
The Bible says, "God love a cheerful giver"

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I feel so happy and fortunate to have never met people like you. Hope I never do. Not that they'll be around for long even if they somehow cross my path...
Why? Because I'm honest and don't put myself out for those that don't deserve it? Because I have a different opinion about gift giving than the general public? Because I feel that gifts are earned, not entitled?

Do you.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM

22,241 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:

10: If I give you a gift, and we break up, I WILL take it back. .
yikes that sounds incredibly harsh and it is not a gift because gifts don't come with conditions. A true gift has no strings attached.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:54 PM

22,241 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Why? Because I don't put myself out for those that don't deserve it? Because I feel that gifts are earned, not entitled?
Isn't that prostitution you are describing?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,926,939 times
The best scenario is if both people can agree to a spending limit. Then the challenge won't be "Will I outspend her", which is silly IMO, but the challenge will be who'll be more creative and know what will make the other person really smile.

I'll give you a quick example. Not even by me. One of my friends is going out w/ a girl and both of them are into the movie "Office Space". She's probably more into it than him. But in that movie, there's a cute red stapler. So he searched around and found a very similar stapler to the movie and gave it to her as a gift. Was it expensive? No. Was it thoughtful? Hell yes.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
The best scenario is if both people can agree to a spending limit. Then the challenge won't be "Will I outspend her", which is silly IMO, but the challenge will be who'll be more creative and know what will make the other person really smile.

I'll give you a quick example. Not even by me. One of my friends is going out w/ a girl and both of them are into the movie "Office Space". She's probably more into it than him. But in that movie, there's a cute red stapler. So he searched around and found a very similar stapler to the movie and gave it to her as a gift. Was it expensive? No. Was it thoughtful? Hell yes.
Precisely what we're talking about! It's not about money; it's about being a cold-hearted and calculating bastard.

I personally don't care for your "limits," but it's an OK approach. In my book if one can afford more or feels like giving more, there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,926,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Precisely what we're talking about! It's not about money; it's about being a cold-hearted and calculating bastard.

I personally don't care for your "limits," but it's an OK approach. In my book if one can afford more or feels like giving more, there's nothing wrong with it.
I didn't read any of the replies except some of the ones on the 4th page, including the 10 Commandments.

So who is the cold-hearted calculating bastard? I probably didn't read that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships