Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times

Advertisements

I think I wouldn't make too much of it. Maybe you reminded him of someone.
I take a walk all the time at the beach......There is an older man who tips his cap to me every time he sees me. To me, that is being a true gentleman. I take it as a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It means he's a dirty old man. If he's married, he's being playful or lecherous. If he's not married, there's probably a good reason. Besides, you don't want to be taking care of an incontinent old man when you are 55.
We are not "dirty". We have hired an aide to bathe us. We are not incontinent, at least you don't notice with underwear made out of that new "Shamwow" cloth.

Unfortunately, as much as we would simply like to acknowledge the existence of a beautiful woman, the "wink" is probably our attempt to fight off the side effects of multiple blood pressure meds. (Sorry, forgot why I was winking).(Sorry, sleep apnea episode).

Old 06-06-2008, 12:58 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,953 times
While it could be flirtatious, it could also be just an individualistic and innocent way of saying "Hi, you're a nice person!".
It really depends on how overt and pronounced that it's done, and the context of the personal contact.
If it's done during a friendly and rather routine conversation, and only in a mild form, then I suspect that it's really just a way to make the other person smile by letting then know that their presence, conversation or comment is appreciated, and the friendliness is reflected as a twinkle in the other's eye just to let you know that someone has brightened their soul.
I don't think that there is necessarily anything sinister about it. Some folks give a twinkle to everyone just as many people will call a stranger "Hon".
Is that a sign if affection? No, not really. It's just a friendly term of common endearment that shows that one can be friendly and familiar even with a complete stranger.
On the other hand, some people just might wink as if it's their favorite pick-up line. It's really up to the individual to interprete the intent of the winker I guess.
Since the motives are internal, it may be difficult to tell. But it should give the receiver of the wink a gut feeling about whether it's well intentioned or not.
And by well-intentioned I mean, is it an honest to goodness "friendly" wink or a "pick-up" wink?

Last edited by sun; 06-06-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
He likes you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethfromEngland View Post
What does it mean when an older man winks at you ?. I am in my twenties, and a couple of men in their forties have winked at me on different occassions.One of them is someone i like now.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,173 times
Quote:
What does it mean when an older man winks at you ?. I am in my twenties, and a couple of men in their forties have winked at me on different occassions.One of them is someone i like now.
Then what's the problem? Talk to him. He won't bite.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
It means they want you. They are older not dead.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 AM

70 posts, read 239,499 times
Thanks for your replies everyone.He did it once when i looked at him when he was stood across the room, and a couple of times when he was sat opposite me.This is the guy i like now.I smiled back when he did that.He has also done other things, such as when he stood up to walk past me when we were sat next to each other, he touched my leg as he stood up,lol, and he held my hand as he walked past.Other things he has done are he had his arm round me and he touched my neck and my hair,things like that.

Just to add afew more things, we do keep intouch with each other, but we havent said if we are going to have a relationship yet or anything.There are some things to sort out.

He is single by the way.He got out of a relationship last year.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
We are not "dirty". We have hired an aide to bathe us. We are not incontinent, at least you don't notice with underwear made out of that new "Shamwow" cloth.

Unfortunately, as much as we would simply like to acknowledge the existence of a beautiful woman, the "wink" is probably our attempt to fight off the side effects of multiple blood pressure meds. (Sorry, forgot why I was winking).(Sorry, sleep apnea episode).
Reps to you

Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies everyone.He did it once when i looked at him when he was stood across the room, and a couple of times when he was sat opposite me.This is the guy i like now.I smiled back when he did that.He has also done other things, such as when he stood up to walk past me when we were sat next to each other, he touched my leg as he stood up,lol, and he held my hand as he walked past.Other things he has done are he had his arm round me and he touched my neck and my hair,things like that.

Just to add afew more things, we do keep intouch with each other, but we havent said if we are going to have a relationship yet or anything.There are some things to sort out.

He is single by the way.He got out of a relationship last year.
Take it one day at a time. Hope it works out.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
It means that he likes you (your appearance) and would like to get to know you, if you are willing.

If you simply ignore him and move on, he'll know that you weren't interested. If you smile, act like you noticed and were delighted by the wink, or otherwise show that you weren't repelled by it, he may interpret that as an invitation to say something in order to get to know you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships