Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Dying from herpes is absolutely unbelieveable. .
I googled the show later on they found out she had a weak immune system because of cancer she had years before. There has been more cases reported of death by herpes I do not remember the exact number but it was more then a handful but very rare. So yes it is possible but not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
These stats were also reported in JAMA, epidemiology journals, oncology journals and are not hard to find. Sierra is hardly trying to practice medicine by posting research study results.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
i guess we must agree to disagree. you dont know who is reading these posts and what affect they may have ina person's mind--that is all i am saying.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
So, you would prefer misleading the public about transmission of HIV rather than being honest???
That's right! The mushroom policy - keep them in the dark and feed them b.s.!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I googled the show later on they found out she had a weak immune system because of cancer she had years before. There has been more cases reported of death by herpes I do not remember the exact number but it was more then a handful but very rare. So yes it is possible but not likely.
That makes sense, it's more devastating for people who have other health issues. But then again, so is everything else . Most of the things i mentioned were for healthy adults.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
So, you would prefer misleading the public about transmission of HIV rather than being honest???
IMO, it's not misleading. The truth is you can get it from unprotected sex. So why risk it? If you have 600k people dying every year from this thing (I read that somewhere), that means somebody is dying from it right now. I think it's misleading to act as if catching this disease is virtually impossible. There was a guy in NY a while back that was passing it around to women knowingly. The found the 33 women that he'd had sex with of that 33 I believe 13 got the virus from him. I personally feel, if you have unprotected sex with someone (other than SO), you have a 50/50 chance of catching it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I just don't think having unprotected sex is worth the risk.

Personally, I remember working with the people who have HIV, if you asked them if they could go back and use a condom to protect themselves 100% of them would say yes. Also, while there have been great advances in treating this virus, please know that the meds do not work for everyone. That's why you have people like Magic Johnson (and my choir director who's been positive for 15 years) walking around looking healthy. They're fortunate, but there still people for whom the meds don't work.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
So, you disagree? Ok, let me rephrase; Most single men under 35 will stick their wang where ever it is welcome.
Cling to whatever delusion you want to.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
IMO, it's not misleading. The truth is you can get it from unprotected sex. So why risk it? If you have 600k people dying every year from this thing (I read that somewhere), that means somebody is dying from it right now. I think it's misleading to act as if catching this disease is virtually impossible. There was a guy in NY a while back that was passing it around to women knowingly. The found the 33 women that he'd had sex with of that 33 I believe 13 got the virus from him. I personally feel, if you have unprotected sex with someone (other than SO), you have a 50/50 chance of catching it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I just don't think having unprotected sex is worth the risk.

Personally, I remember working with the people who have HIV, if you asked them if they could go back and use a condom to protect themselves 100% of them would say yes. Also, while there have been great advances in treating this virus, please know that the meds do not work for everyone. That's why you have people like Magic Johnson (and my choir director who's been positive for 15 years) walking around looking healthy. They're fortunate, but there still people for whom the meds don't work.
I was not inferring that HIV being passed by sexual intercourse was misleading. If you read the entire banter you would see that finding hope was implying that Sierra was not being prudent in her posting about the stats because young people may be reading this forum and throw caution to the wind. It was understood that finding hope felt the information should not be circulated at all because of perceived misuse of the studies.

In my opinion, hiding part of the truth is a blatant lie.

Also, the "gentleman" you reference in your post probably had AIDS and not HIV.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM

You may be right about the guy. I didn't look it up again, I recalled from memory.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
I personally feel, if you have unprotected sex with someone (other than SO), you have a 50/50 chance of catching it. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I just don't think having unprotected sex is worth the risk.
I think this is a tad dramatic. The CDC estimated that there were over 1,000,000 people living with HIV and approximately 500,000 living with AIDS in the United States in 2006. Considering that the most recent census estimated over 300,000,000 people, I think a 50% chance of an ill advised evening of passion resulting in HIV infection is slightly ambitious.

While it is true that googling "DEBUNKING HIV MYTHS" will certainly lead some people to this thread, I have major doubts about Sierra's culpability for any sudden increase in HIV infection in the next fiscal quarter. Why don't we all settle down and go check wikipedia to see if Sierra is right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships