Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

If I'm Hugh Hefner and have 3 hot ladies live with me and I support them I would be favorably looked on by many red blooded men and be considered a real player.

If I marry those same 3 women and they continue to live with me in a committed loving relationship, I become a criminal.

In the old days and today in many parts of the world taking multiple wives is acceptable. As we get older and there are more women then men, what would be wrong with a man taking additional wives if he can afford it and all parties agree?

Would it not be a benefit for the lonely women who seeks a committed family life and steady relationship ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Speaking of benefits, would all the wives be entitled to legal benefits in your scenario, such as health care, etc.?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:56 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If I'm Hugh Hefner and have 3 hot ladies live with me and I support them I would be favorably looked on by many red blooded men and be considered a real player.

If I marry those same 3 women and they continue to live with me in a committed loving relationship, I become a criminal.

In the old days and today in many parts of the world taking multiple wives is acceptable. As we get older and there are more women then men, what would be wrong with a man taking additional wives if he can afford it and all parties agree?

Would it not be a benefit for the lonely women who seeks a committed family life and steady relationship ?
Nothing. That lonely woman should marry 3 men who seek a committed family life and steady relationship.
Maybe, each woman could be allowed 3 husbands and each man could be allowed 3 wives. That would be fair.
Would it be OK with you if each of your wives each had 2 other husbands or must they all live together with you?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Hugh Hefner isn't married. He can do what he wants. He's also rich, so he can doubly do what he wants. The ladies in question are well paid for what they do, no doubt.

What's wrong? The men don't take older wives, they want younger ones. If a man wants to take a 60 year old widow for his second wife, I doubt anyone would blink but he'd rather have a 20 year old. We don't have a surplus of 20 year olds like we do 60, 70 and 80 year old women,

Polygomy only makes sense if there are more women than men. Or reverse polygomy if there are more men than women. We don't have a surplus of women in the ages polygomous men would be marrying. We have a surplus of older women.

Also, two wives isn't a committed relationship. You cant commit to two women at once any more than I could commit to two men. Marriage is a committed relationship.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Speaking of benefits, would all the wives be entitled to legal benefits in your scenario, such as health care, etc.?
And who inherits the estate? Do they share social security benefits and retirement benefits? Can you imagine being a widow living on 1/3 of your husband's estate and 1/3 of his pension and 1/3 of his social security? It's hard enough with 100% of those things.

Now, if I had three husbands supporting me, I'd get three times the benefits That could work. I could divorce them all and collect alimony and child support from three men at once. Oh wait, I could just sleep around, have lots of kids and go on Maury to find out who's the daddy and do that too,

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM

52,262 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:

That seriously sounds like a nightmare

3 wives??

1 girlfriend keeps my hands full

Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 43,118 times
not trying to insult the poster..but this seems like a "is it your business question"..i mean society has made this big play about protecting the sanctity of marriage but we watch "bachelor"and "marry a millionair" faithfully every week..not to mention courts allow divorce for no other reason than we are ready to be un- married. if three women are ok with sharing a man and they are all over the age of 21 then i say good for him (or pitty on him lol) the problem we have with what they are doing on this compound is that these girls are being raised to accepth being part of a harem without any knowledge of much else, and are being forced to marry..thats the crime. it the whole reason there is a thing called statutory rape..not that one forced the victim but that one took advantage of the victim who had not the mental maturity to make a calculated judgement. so you are basicly in comparing hugh hefner with these compounds you are comparing apples and fish guts lol

Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Okay, seriously, what would be the purpose of more than one wife/husband? There are times I don't want the one I have. I have to second Chowhound's post. 3 husbands sounds like a nightmare not a dream.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That seriously sounds like a nightmare

3 wives?? 1 girlfriend keeps my hands full
I knew the answer to my OP before I threw it out for discussion and it did assume older women were in the realtionships who in their latter years can out number men by large amounts.

I work with women in their 50's & 60's who are single and there are few men around for them to establish a relationship or date. Many are very lonely. Very few 60 year old man want or can handle a 20 or 30 something bimbo.

Chowhound, I do agree with you and always said the suicide / murder rate would probably rise if this ever happened.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I knew the answer to my OP before I threw it out for discussion and it did assume older women were in the realtionships who in their latter years can out number men by large amounts.

I work with women in their 50's & 60's who are single and there are few men around for them to establish a relationship or date. Many are very lonely. Very few 60 year old man want or can handle a 20 or 30 something bimbo.

Chowhound, I do agree with you and always said the suicide / murder rate would probably rise if this ever happened.
I don't know what women you meet but the older women I know are enjoying being older and single. My grandmother used to tell me that the reason women out number men is that God wanted to give us a few years to enjoy ourselves after putting up with men all those years. Let me tell you, she enjoyed her widohood.

Most 60 year old men don't want multiple 60 year old wives either. As polygomy is practiced, you don't see old women married off. You see young ones married off. It's usually just a way for men to get more sex at the expense of women. Which is why it's against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships