Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 AM

28,988 posts, read 30,398,851 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Often times what is troublesome to me on a post will correspond to something that is going on in my personal life, so there is some vulnerability there that gets rubbed raw. In the bigger picture though, these charged areas can help me try to figure out what is going on for me and how to address it, which is helpful in the long run.
yup, same for me...adding, while I might not agree at first, I'll walk away thinking about it...and can apply it to my life...there is so much to learn from the points others bring out or stimulate in my mind...

one thing I do hate with a passion, is when your going along fine, and someone comes in and throws one liner condiscending jokes at you...whereas they pretend to be your friend, but are literally tearing you a new one...why? I dunno...but there are some people who simply love to antagonise, guess they get off on it? Sure is sadistic to me..? hey, maybe it's me?

But if you disagree with them, they take it as a personal attack against their character, instead of realizing, it's what you think and believe and has nothing actually to do with them....I suppose it's insecurity on their part...and youth, as well...I can remember being like that years ago...

creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,389,968 times
[quote=cremebrulee;4585802]
Quote:

yup, same for me...adding, while I might not agree at first, I'll walk away thinking about it...and can apply it to my life...there is so much to learn from the points others bring out or stimulate in my mind...

one thing I do hate with a passion, is when your going along fine, and someone comes in and throws one liner condiscending jokes at you...whereas they pretend to be your friend, but are literally tearing you a new one...why? I dunno...but there are some people who simply love to antagonise, guess they get off on it? Sure is sadistic to me..? hey, maybe it's me?

But if you disagree with them, they take it as a personal attack against their character, instead of realizing, it's what you think and believe and has nothing actually to do with them....I suppose it's insecurity on their part...and youth, as well...I can remember being like that years ago...

creme
I suppose your right, jokes tend to trivialize the persons post before you and at other times it is an ice breaker. I guess in order to get a just view of things at all times you would have to be two people and thats not possible. Still if someone builds a rep doing that then it would probably be a safe guess that its who they are.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

28,988 posts, read 30,398,851 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post

I suppose your right, jokes tend to trivialize the persons post before you and at other times it is an ice breaker. I guess in order to get a just view of things at all times you would have to be two people and thats not possible. Still if someone builds a rep doing that then it would probably be a safe guess that its who they are.
ahhh yes, absolutely, but you can also tell those one liner sarcastic jokes which is gaining them attention from their buddies....they are not to difficult to spot...and these same people are very vindictive...they get even, in other posts....but yes, there have been times when a while back, when I first started posting in forums, people would have to remind me they were kidding...and when I went back and read it again...realized how foolish I was being...but there is a big difference....you can always tell how quickly their buds fly in to gang up....it is very obvious...it's a deliberate mock...not a joke at all....but you shrug it off and consider the source, and after a while, if it happens to many times, I know the person is simply trying to gain attention at someone else's expense, so I will avoid them whenever possible.

It takes a while, but you know who the kind and caring ones are. And the ones who take everything that is written personal...and quickly defend themselves or ask, when did I say that? And the poster never had them in mind at all when they wrote their post....

Creme

Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,468,823 times
I take nothing on these boards seriously. No one here has a personal knowledge of me, my life, my thoughts, etc., therefore, I take nothing personally. Anyone who does has no business posting on a public forum, IMO. I've discovered that those who are self-righteous and quick to judge other people, not the issue at hand, are those who are the most easily offended. Go figure! They can dish it out pretty well, but cannot take it. It's these people who make these boards the most interesting and entertaining, though!

And, you've got to be f'ng kidding me, if you actually believe that the way a person comes across on the internet is the same IRL! You may get bits of personality coming through, but there's always more to that person. Give me a f'ng break!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,389,968 times
I guess I should have paid more attention in class that day. I take it someones gone out of their way. As Gilda use to say....Nevermind!

Have a great rest of the day Creme

Old 07-24-2008, 12:14 PM

13,625 posts, read 21,444,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post

And, you've got to be f'ng kidding me, if you actually believe that the way a person comes across on the internet is the same IRL! You may get bits of personality coming through, but there's always more to that person. Give me a f'ng break!

I am the same person if i am speaking to you in person or over the net,why would there be a difference?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,154,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am the same person if i am speaking to you in person or over the net,why would there be a difference?
Many people adopt a different persona online, or several. Often it's consciously and intentionally done, but sometimes it isn't.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,290,286 times
Quote:
Nuance. There's a whole host of communication that takes place in person that one doesn't see in a message board. Tone of voice, facial expression, inflection, all add meaning to the discussion at hand.

Case in point? I tend to speak plainly, but almost never tick people off in person. I just say what's on my mind, but do it in a way that doesn't cause offense. My wife says I have a knack for saying what other people can't. But on here, it can definitely come off the wrong way.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM

13,625 posts, read 21,444,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nuance. There's a whole host of communication that takes place in person that one doesn't see in a message board. Tone of voice, facial expression, inflection, all add meaning to the discussion at hand.

Case in point? I tend to speak plainly, but almost never tick people off in person. I just say what's on my mind, but do it in a way that doesn't cause offense. My wife says I have a knack for saying what other people can't. But on here, it can definitely come off the wrong way.
nuance maybe,emoticons help.But personality and thought wise I am who I am and overall I like who I am so I have no need for a alter-ego.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,290,286 times
Quote:
nuance maybe,emoticons help.But personality and thought wise I am who I am and overall I like who I am so I have no need for a alter-ego.
Does the phrase, "It's not what you say...it's how you say it" ring a bell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships