Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 05:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 3,886,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
According to a study in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior "stay-at-home parents experience poorer physical and mental health compared with parents who work outside the home. Effects include higher rates of mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety, as well as higher rates of chronic illness."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Are you suggesting that Stay-at-home spouses tend to have mental health issues?
No, that was 2mares. That said, I suggested the lack of motivation or career/interests (for the long-term) could certainly be correlated to a higher probability of mental health issues. In other words, stay-at-home parenting is not likely the cause, all else being equal, provided they maintained their health (as they would need to do anyway).

Old 12-12-2023, 07:18 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
No, that was 2mares. That said, I suggested the lack of motivation or career/interests (for the long-term) could certainly be correlated to a higher probability of mental health issues. In other words, stay-at-home parenting is not likely the cause, all else being equal, provided they maintained their health (as they would need to do anyway).
No it was a study published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior (among other studies)
You seem to be under the impression, still even after attempts at discussion, that the only reason a person would be a stay at home parent is due to lack of motivation for career.

The studies did actually correlate the act of being a stay at home parent with poorer physical and mental health. When scientific studies are conducted other variables are considered. I assumed you had some knowledge of scientific studies. Several studies were conducted on the mental and physical health of previously working parents forced to temporarily become SAHP due to Covid.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Stay-at-home spouses tend to have mental health issues?
Studies indicate SAHs have poorer mental and physical health than working parents. I dont think that means SAHs TEND to have mental health issues.
https://www.verywellfamily.com/resea...e-moms-4047911

There are links to actual studies/papers.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:53 AM

8,704 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:
You seem to be under the impression, still even after attempts at discussion, that the only reason a person would be a stay at home parent is due to lack of motivation for career.
Not at all; hence the reason I previously stated it would be interesting to note the reason(s) why someone chose to stay home (and for how long) i.e. they hate their job or don’t have one, as several have previously indicated in this thread, vs. a woman who would temporarily take a break from a career she loves because she is thinking of the baby and the family, as a whole, and would appreciate the opportunity to do so for herself as well. I’m very attracted to (and have always had relationships with women who are) the latter type, per the thread.

Keep in mind there’s a different expectation today vs. decades ago. In that sense, absolutely, I’d wonder why a woman doesn’t have a career. I wouldn’t stick around long enough to find out why; but if it isn’t lack of motivation, what is it? How is she supporting herself in the modern world?

Old 12-12-2023, 09:15 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Studies indicate SAHs have poorer mental and physical health than working parents. I dont think that means SAHs TEND to have mental health issues.

In my careerfield forced relocation every 2 or 3 years is not unusual.

I have known a few spouses who had professional careers, and who had an extremely difficult time when forced to start fresh at a new location every few years.

Since I decided to buy an apartment complex at each duty station, my Dw decided to be a Stay-at-home spouse, so that she could manage said apartments, and sometimes she purchased her own sideline businesses [a catering service or a laundry service] wherein she hired other sailor's wives.

I remember one of our tenants [David and Donna] he had a degree as a historian and Donna was a Nurse Administrator. He was happy to work underwater, but his duty stations rarely had a large hospital nearby. So Donna was forced to spend much of her time taking courses to further her credentials as a Nurse Administrator. What I found amusing was that she had worked in a big hospital and she was a member of that nursing union. But when we knew them, we were located in the UK. So suddenly all of her credentials were meaningless, and she was forced to start over again at 'zero' to become a nurse within the UK system.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:06 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,313,933 times
You managed to buy an apartment complex every two or three years? Good job Submariner!

Old 12-12-2023, 10:19 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
You managed to buy an apartment complex every two or three years? Good job Submariner!
To buy an apartment building, bring it up to current code, make support itself, and sell it quick. Is a business model that some people have difficulty performing.

I found that in most cities, once the building inspectors understand that you occupy the building with your own family and you are serving on Active Duty, they will 'put on hold' any deadlines for the work to be completed.

City officials like to assume that all apartments are owned by landlords that live somewhere else.

It was important to us that rental income be enough to cover the mortgage, insurance, utilities and property taxes. So we could effectively line on-site for free, and use my salary income to effect repairs and improvements.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Not at all; hence the reason I previously stated it would be interesting to note the reason(s) why someone chose to stay home (and for how long) i.e. they hate their job or don’t have one, as several have previously indicated in this thread, vs. a woman who would temporarily take a break from a career she loves because she is thinking of the baby and the family, as a whole, and would appreciate the opportunity to do so for herself as well. I’m very attracted to (and have always had relationships with women who are) the latter type, per the thread.

Keep in mind there’s a different expectation today vs. decades ago. In that sense, absolutely, I’d wonder why a woman doesn’t have a career. I wouldn’t stick around long enough to find out why; but if it isn’t lack of motivation, what is it? How is she supporting herself in the modern world?
That is not what you said.
it’d be interesting to note how many of them were depressed or suffered from poor health or a lack of a job before they became a stay-at-home parent (or why i.e. they hated their job, as a few in this thread have indicated, and/or they weren’t motivated to do anything else).

Note how many were depressed prior to staying home.
Note the reasons they choose to stay home.

Are not the same thing.

You have been given a whole bunch of reasons women stay after having a baby.
1. She wants to and can financially afford to.
2. Lack of daycare/cant afford daycare
3. Stress from trying to work and do all the childcare and domestic duties.
4. Husband/partner wont consider helping.
5. She feels it is best for baby, makes the sacrifice because the family can manage.
6. lack of employment
7. Not cost effective to continue working

Every time it is discussed you circle back to your preference for a modern woman who would want to temporarily take a break from a career (See #1).

Why don't all women have careers. Same reason all men don't, lack of motivation, lack of education, lack of skill. Also, living in a society where it is acceptable for women to be non working wives and mothers. Growing up in a religion where being a non working wife and mother is preferable if not pushed. Too stressful and unwilling to keep a career and be a full time mother and housekeeper. No career opportunities in her area (following husbands career). Husband does not want a career wife.

I find it hard to believe that you cant come up with any of this on your own.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
In my careerfield forced relocation every 2 or 3 years is not unusual.

I have known a few spouses who had professional careers, and who had an extremely difficult time when forced to start fresh at a new location every few years.

Since I decided to buy an apartment complex at each duty station, my Dw decided to be a Stay-at-home spouse, so that she could manage said apartments, and sometimes she purchased her own sideline businesses [a catering service or a laundry service] wherein she hired other sailor's wives.

I remember one of our tenants [David and Donna] he had a degree as a historian and Donna was a Nurse Administrator. He was happy to work underwater, but his duty stations rarely had a large hospital nearby. So Donna was forced to spend much of her time taking courses to further her credentials as a Nurse Administrator. What I found amusing was that she had worked in a big hospital and she was a member of that nursing union. But when we knew them, we were located in the UK. So suddenly all of her credentials were meaningless, and she was forced to start over again at 'zero' to become a nurse within the UK system.
I imagine it is difficult for almost anyone to be forced to start fresh in new locations every few years but this study was about being a SAHP vs a working parent.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:47 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:

When it comes down to it, research is just research. Make a choice that's right for you and your family and don't worry about what strangers, neighbors, relatives, or scientists think. These findings can't tell you exactly what's going on in your family. Ultimately, honor what's best for you and your family—and note that these circumstances are highly individual and may change over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships