Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Ahh, b/c of the anticipation of Monday. That sux your job is bringing you down. It can't hurt posting your resume around to see if anything bites.
I've been in the same industry for 18 years, I'm trying to figure out a way to parlay my skills into some other area???

Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,928,161 times
Here's (http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/10/30/moh.extrahour.ap/index.html - broken link) an interesting article about changing clocks and its effect on health, particularly heart attacks.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been in the same industry for 18 years, I'm trying to figure out a way to parlay my skills into some other area???
I see, so it looks like you're just getting bored and/or burned out from your job and perhaps your industry in general. A mid-career change is obviously risky, but maybe you can do something on the side and see if you can make a new full-time job out of it and end the one you seem to dislike or even hate.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times
Quote:
Chow, you just insist on pulling the devil's tail in these uncertain times... Do you have a latent self-destructive streak wanting to rear its ugly head, too?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Chow, you just insist on pulling the devil's tail in these uncertain times... Do you have a latent self-destructive streak wanting to rear its ugly head, too?
Interesting post Sierra, I guess I'm kind of arrogant in that I'm not worried about the present economic situation.

Probably should think about it I guess.

My job is always had a pretty good demand so I've gotten used to being in "demand" but hey you never know, stuff does happen.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Interesting post Sierra, I guess I'm kind of arrogant in that I'm not worried about the present economic situation.

Probably should think about it I guess.

My job is always had a pretty good demand so I've gotten used to being in "demand" but hey you never know, stuff does happen.
Well, you know better yourself, but some places may dangle a yummy carrot in front of you and dispose of you just as easily in a few months. Raytheon for instance does it all the time - they get people when they get a new contract and at some point they're no longer necessary. Should somebody move his rear to Tucson just because of that, he may find himself in a huge pickle after that. I'm talking about a city where decent jobs are not as readily available. It's probably different in your neck of the woods, but I still don't think it's time for major changes. What is it you hate that much about your job?

Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well, you know better yourself, but some places may dangle a yummy carrot in front of you and dispose of you just as easily in a few months. Raytheon for instance does it all the time - they get people when they get a new contract and at some point they're no longer necessary. Should somebody move his rear to Tucson just because of that, he may find himself in a huge pickle after that. I'm talking about a city where decent jobs are not as readily available. It's probably different in your neck of the woods, but I still don't think it's time for major changes. What is it you hate that much about your job?
I probably need to think about staying put for a couple of years. Try to ride out the economic uncertainties. I have a condo and I check out my bldg on Realtor.com and the asking prices are pretty low right now. I bought about 10 yrs ago, so I'm still pretty ahead as far as equity goes, but now isn't the best time to sell.

What is it about my job that I don't like. That's a hard question to answer, It's mostly just the constant pressure of deadlines and budget concerns. I have a hard time turning my mind off. So I have a tendency to think about work when I'm not at work. Which is really stupid, because I'm not on the clock so why should I waste my precious time worrying about things that I can't control at the present moment anyway.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I bought about 10 yrs ago, so I'm still pretty ahead as far as equity goes, but now isn't the best time to sell.
Well, obviously you're not under water or anything, but it's definitely not the best time to sell...

Quote:
What is it about my job that I don't like. That's a hard question to answer, It's mostly just the constant pressure of deadlines and budget concerns. I have a hard time turning my mind off. So I have a tendency to think about work when I'm not at work. Which is really stupid, because I'm not on the clock so why should I waste my precious time worrying about things that I can't control at the present moment anyway.
Budget concerns making your position uncertain...? If not, fROget about it! And yeah, don't bring work home! I know it's easier said than done. We all obsess about one thing or another, but the job should hardly be one of them... It sounds like a stable job to me. Just keep doing it and forget about it in your free time and don't let it ruin your weekend! Besides, knowing you're in demand should give you a peace of mind.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Well, obviously you're not under water or anything, but it's definitely not the best time to sell...

Budget concerns making your position uncertain...? If not, fROget about it! And yeah, don't bring work home! I know it's easier said than done. We all obsess about one thing or another, but the job should hardly be one of them... It sounds like a stable job to me. Just keep doing it and forget about it in your free time and don't let it ruin your weekend! Besides, knowing you're in demand should give you a peace of mind.
Thanks
Sierra

Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Chow, how's the rental market? If you don't want to sell while prices are relatively low, then how about renting out your house? Do you have good quality tenants in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.