Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 39,656 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this is semi-serious, but mostly just because I want opinions from everybody, especially guys, since this is kinda about you

So. How would you feel if you were told by the person you cared about that you were their "Ball and Chain"? Like, if they said it in a casual way, but at the same time, serious.

would you shrug it off and think nothing of it? or would you take a step back and really analyze it, and think about it for a moment?

Opinions from ANYBODY would be wonderful!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameli View Post
Hey guys, this is semi-serious, but mostly just because I want opinions from everybody, especially guys, since this is kinda about you

So. How would you feel if you were told by the person you cared about that you were their "Ball and Chain"? Like, if they said it in a casual way, but at the same time, serious.

would you shrug it off and think nothing of it? or would you take a step back and really analyze it, and think about it for a moment?

Opinions from ANYBODY would be wonderful!
I agree with this; you cannot move around freely unless your spouse is with you, either in a literal or figurative sense. Interesting also that in Spanish the word for "wife" and the word for "handcuffs" is the same.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:15 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
wife = esposA
handcuff = esposE

not quite the same.

If my bf (three years) told me that I would take it jokingly but still smack him upside his head.

If relationship was a year or under I'd be offended unless he was totally joking.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I agree with this; you cannot move around freely unless your spouse is with you, either in a literal or figurative sense. Interesting also that in Spanish the word for "wife" and the word for "handcuffs" is the same.
I'll be darned! In my mother tongue the word for "marriage" and for “rejects/seconds” (like the defective goods out of a conveyor line that don't make it to the market) are the same.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Haha, that's kinda funny. I never knew that. and I am spanish.

but my boyfriend has said that a few times, and I often shrug it off, but at the same time I can't help but think in the back of my mind "i love how i'm his ball and chain and not his soulmate! geez!"

but maybe it's just because I am a woman, but maybe it could be a person thing? keep the posts coming!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameli View Post
Haha, that's kinda funny. I never knew that. and I am spanish.

but my boyfriend has said that a few times, and I often shrug it off, but at the same time I can't help but think in the back of my mind "i love how i'm his ball and chain and not his soulmate! geez!"

but maybe it's just because I am a woman, but maybe it could be a person thing? keep the posts coming!
In that case I'd be offended. I wouldn't want to be called his ball and chain a few times unless spaced over a year time.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
wow....well, first I'd wana know why they feel that way then I would be hurt and I'd probably tell them that If they really feel that way we'd better fix it because i'd hate to make anyone feel traped or brought down........90 percent of a joke is the truth

Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
wife = esposA
handcuff = esposE

not quite the same.

If my bf (three years) told me that I would take it jokingly but still smack him upside his head.

If relationship was a year or under I'd be offended unless he was totally joking.
I also hear them (handcuffs) referred to as simply "esposas".........

Old 09-24-2008, 03:07 PM

It's nice to see there are a few posts, but I would really like to see a lot more mixed opinions! because I am pretty sure that there are some who probably don't see it as a "too serious" thing..

I guess to throw more of my two cents, it really depends on the situation and how they go about saying it. I heard from some guys(typically younger guys) that they "lose their freedom", as in, they can't "mess around" anymore when they meet the person they know they are going to be with for a long time, maybe even forever. I personally think that's so silly to even have a mentality like that!

Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Being referred to as a ball and chain is a bit degrading. I would not appreciate being thought of as holding anyone down in a negative way, especially the one who I am supposed to be able to trust.

I think it doesn't speak well for a relationship using that term in front of others, but then I got to thinking, I wouldn't like it even in private because it would indicate he thinks like that even if it is subconsciously.

If a man wanted to think of me as a ball and chain, I would take care of that. I'd cut him loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.