Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM

104 posts, read 136,705 times

Advertisements

CountryLuvinWoman1,

I can explain!

Where will he find a girl who is just as good of a catch as he is?

They are very, very, very rare.

Sidis, the smartest guy in history, went celibate most of his life because he couldn't find anyone.

Many gifted people stay unmarried until 30 or longer because they have a difficult time finding someone. We are very rare. This makes it difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,496,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
Perhaps they should simply provide for other methods that sperm donors can use to prove that they have good genes such as a history of stable employment.
Well then I'm shot there too
Again,stable employment doesn't mean there's anything wrong with a person...in fact that also can indicate some sort of genius as they can easily be bored by the mundane. 'Stable employment' can simply mean a person is good as a follower but not necessarily a leader,but then again the world could always use more sheep

Old 11-29-2008, 03:05 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,496,424 times
Quote:
StuckPA,

Approximately 1 in 12 people are an Aries. But it is definitely fewer than 1 in 12 that shares my interests. I still think my difference in interests is due to my intelligence level.

What sorts of unusual interests do you have?
It's not so much unusual interests as just interests that may not be that common. For example I spent many years learning about alternative healing,before it was gaining the popularity it is today...I frequently feel I am ahead of my time and waiting for everyone else to catch up
And like I had mentioned,I can rarely relate to most people in social situations as I have such a cross section of knowledge whereas most simply talk about common things...after a short time people start to treat me as if I'm speaking alien of some sort My friends are select and few but some of them would also be considered outstanding in their fields of knowledge.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
I thought you and I are friends that can relate to one another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
It's not so much unusual interests as just interests that may not be that common. For example I spent many years learning about alternative healing,before it was gaining the popularity it is today...I frequently feel I am ahead of my time and waiting for everyone else to catch up
And like I had mentioned,I can rarely relate to most people in social situations as I have such a cross section of knowledge whereas most simply talk about common things...after a short time people start to treat me as if I'm speaking alien of some sort My friends are select and few but some of them would also be considered outstanding in their fields of knowledge.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,668,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Interesting thread. Hits home for me to some degree.

I'm not a genius but have a high IQ (144) and was in gifted classes all through school. Currently working on a graduate degree in engineering. People have mentioned that you shouldn't "flaunt" your success or intelligence. Well, if you are talking to someone who is considerably less intelligent, successful, and/or educated than you are, just talking about your day-to-day life can end up in you coming off as full of yourself. For example, for me the question "what did you do today?" could be answered with "oh, I woke up and ran 12 miles, worked on a conference paper, and cooked up some stir-fried pork". I've put a great deal of time and effort in to my career, and I'm also very into physical fitness and living a healthy lifestyle. Success is of course a relative thing....there are many, many people who are smarter, more successful, and in better physical shape than I am...but describing your life to someone else still can feel awkward in some situations (like the last time I ran into someone from high school who was working at a muffler shop and they asked what I was up to in my life).

Anyway, I have a hard time meeting girls that I'm really attracted to, at all. I do have standards but I've let them slide, only to regret it later (hey, loneliness sets in after you are single for 2 years or more at a time). I don't have a problem dating someone less intelligent than me, but I can honestly say I've never dated anyone as or more intelligent than I am. I'm not sure how that would go...would it be awesome to have an intellectual counterpart or would we end up being competitive with each other?

I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who is intelligent enough to question life, instead of just being complacent and going with the flow. I prefer independent women who are concerned with other things than the latest fashions and Hollywood gossip. I'd really like someone who could challenge me intellectually and/or physically (meaning fitness, outdoor activities, etc...not necessarily sexually).

I'm at the point now where I've been single for about 2 years, and am getting fairly lonely. I'm also moving in 6 months, so I'm in no position to even look for someone, and I meet very few women in my day-to-day life anyway. So, what to do...keep holding out, or lower my standards again just to have someone?
I pay attention to Hollywood business gossip, and some Hollywood gossip trickles down, since I'm in "the biz" but I agree, it's so annoying when girls know ALL of this stuff about celebrities, yet could be spending that time learning something actually useful.

And I totally agree with what you said about the "What did you do today" or "lately" question. I usually get something like, "Nothin' just watched some TV, went to work... that kinda stuff." It's hard to respond much to that. "Oh, that's cool... how was work?" "Boring." "Oh, that's too bad." There just isn't enough to talk about with some people, and if you actually did anything useful with your day, it comes across like bragging about it to someone like that.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:35 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,963,625 times
Quote:

I would like it if someone would understand me.

What do you say?

Wellll.....I say that you have at least one thing in common with "average" people: the need to be understood. On these boards especially, one does not have the advantage of facial expression & tonal inflections found in face-to-face conversation; there is bound to be some miscommunication of views & opinions.

I also feel I'm someone who thinks with the more creative side of the brain rather than the analytical (sp?) side. - Perhaps that is where my real beef with all of this lies. I have not a clue as to my IQ#, and I don't care to know. I say this not to offend you or anyone else who looks at IQ scores as a measure of intelligence; but that would be at the absolute bottom of my "list" (if I had one) of what I look for in a potential SO. There is SO MUCH MORE to someone than an intellegence quotient.

Is it possible, just possible, that a genius in your shoes gets so caught up in what you know, & how much you know, that you don't leave any room in your brain to just experience life & romance without a label? I don't mean that as a slam, really!! I just think the more rounded a person is, the more they offer to life; to others; & to themselves. Best of luck to you in your quest to be understood. If you find the secret on how to do that - let the rest of us in on it, OK?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM

938 posts, read 3,514,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I pay attention to Hollywood business gossip, and some Hollywood gossip trickles down, since I'm in "the biz" but I agree, it's so annoying when girls know ALL of this stuff about celebrities, yet could be spending that time learning something actually useful.

And I totally agree with what you said about the "What did you do today" or "lately" question. I usually get something like, "Nothin' just watched some TV, went to work... that kinda stuff." It's hard to respond much to that. "Oh, that's cool... how was work?" "Boring." "Oh, that's too bad." There just isn't enough to talk about with some people, and if you actually did anything useful with your day, it comes across like bragging about it to someone like that.
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with knowing all the celebrity buzz....as long as you also know what else is going on in the world that actually matters. I have a few TV shows that I'm follow very closely...in all reality, a complete waste of time, but they make me happy and I also take time to stay somewhat up on current events, and learn useful information.

Often I end up saying something along the lines of "oh, I just went to the gym and worked on a paper" without getting into the specifics too much. Then again, it also depends...with people I know pretty well, I'll openly talk about my life, but most of my friends are at the same place in life that I am.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,624,845 times
Quote:
Ivorytickler,

OA 5599 was not trying to blow his own horn. He was just telling me that we have something in common. He acknowledged that other people perceive an admission of high intelligence as something to become upset about. I don't think he wants to upset people. Maybe he just doesn't know how to talk about this without upsetting others. I think he tried his best. It is very difficult to talk about intelligence carefully.

"You just don't talk about what might make others uncomfortable."

If you said that to a gay person because the gay person announced "I am gay" it would be an issue of human rights. If you said "Don't talk about this!" to a black person because they announced "I am African American." then it would be an issue of racism. If you say that to a person who has a high IQ just because they have a high IQ, then this isn't a very polite way of talking to us.

A lot of people make assumptions about us. People used to assume that all black people were lazy and stupid. Now people know that this is prejudice. People now assume that everyone who gifted is domineering and wants to claim to be better than everyone and demand unfair privileges or walk on other's rights. This just isn't true. Most of the gifted people I know hate elitism. I believe in rights for everyone - even animals. I won't even squish bugs unless they attack me!

Please quit assuming that we are all jerks just because we have high IQ's. We are not all jerks and when others assume that we are all jerks it hurts our feelings.
Don't get a big head there. People don't get upset about admissions of intelligence. There's nothing to get upset about. They just don't like being around conceited people. Most people would rather be around people who don't feel a need to declare their intelligence. Personally, I wonder how smart those who have to declare it really are. The smartest people I've ever known (and I've known several wiht IQ's higher than 180) would never declare themselves intelligent. They felt no need. I always have to wonder what someone is trying to prove when they have to talk about how high ther IQ is

It's not about how high your IQ is anyway. My best friend in high school had an IQ of over 180. No one knows how high it was because they couldn't measure that high. She topped out every IQ test she was ever given. She ended up a high school drop out. Eventually, she got a GED and some kind of certificate from a two year college. Last I heard she was working as a secretary.

Then there's my husband's brother who has the lowest IQ in the family. A flat 100. He has multiple college degrees, built his own business and is highly successful. It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have and you don't have to tell other people about that. It shines on it's own.

And yes, I'd tell a gay person not to talk to people about their being gay if it makes them uncomfortable. Some things don't make good table talk. You need to consider who you are talking to. I, certainly, wouldn't start talking about my periods around the Thanksgiving table. Common sense says you don't talk about things that make others uncomfortable in social settings. You save those conversations for another time.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-29-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM

52,416 posts, read 52,930,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Don't get a big head there. People don't get upset about admissions of intelligence. There's nothing to get upset about. They just don't like being around conceited people. Most people would rather be around people who don't feel a need to declare their intelligence. Personally, I wonder how smart those who have to declare it really are. The smartest people I've ever known (and I've known several wiht IQ's higher than 180) would never declare themselves intelligent. They felt no need. I always have to wonder what someone is trying to prove when they have to talk about how high ther IQ is

It's not about how high your IQ is anyway. My best friend in high school had an IQ of over 180. No one knows how high it was because they couldn't measure that high. She topped out every IQ test she was ever given. She ended up a high school drop out. Eventually, she got a GED and some kind of certificate from a two year college. Last I heard she was working as a secretary.

Then there's my husband's brother who has the lowest IQ in the family. A flat 100. He has multiple college degrees, built his own business and is highly successful. It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have and you don't have to tell other people about that. It shines on it's own.

The best and "smartest" post on this whole thread.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,624,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The best and "smartest" post on this whole thread.
And written by a non-genius. Go figure,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships