Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

I'm another one who grew up and has lived in L.A. County my entire life. This wasn't necessarily my plan, but when I decided to get married at 21 and have two children by the time I was 24, I didn't have the money to move at first, and when I got a better paying job, I had to stay put and provide my kids some stability as they were growing up.

I'm apprehensive about someday leaving L.A., mostly because of the weather compromises I'd have to make anywhere else. Also, while it's easy to leave here for somewhere less expensive, moving back is not so easy!

In addition, my current situation keeps me stuck-- er, grounded. I have a great job with people I like, my apartment is rent-controlled (and I've lived in it for eleven years!), my commute is only twelve miles one way, and my work hours are such that I miss most of the traffic. In many ways I'm very spoiled, so it would be difficult for me to decide to uproot my life here. I'm not saying that L.A. is 100% wonderful and problem-free, but for me it's "home", and that's difficult to leave. Obviously, I have a real problem going out of my comfort zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I was moved to Alaska at age 7. Have lived in the same small community up until current date. I did move to Arkansas for the winter twice...but could never seem to get away from my "hometown". The place is like a magnet for me. I hadn't even been out of state until last year and now have made a handfull of travels abroad with in the last year. I'll always call this place home. Always.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I am amazed at how many people from all over the world are on Facebook.
I just can't believe some of the people who have popped up on Facebook. It's really been a joy to find friends who I thought had gone forever, and I would never otherwise have found, or even thought to look.
I was chatting to a friend from Spain this morning on the Facebook instant messaging thingy because it tells you which of your friends are online.

I was really resistant to the idea of joining in the beginning, but now i'm a fan.
Even my Mum is on it now. : )
You're finding friends from across the world but I can barely locate people I went to school with in nearby states
Too bad most of the people I know are such stiffs...makes me look like the fun one!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No, there's no going back. "Home" has changed; we have changed. What we're trying to recapture is our youth and sweet memories. That's not coming back!
Not always...even as lonely as I feel,when I drive that hour back to where I spent most of my life...when I walk into my mother's house I still feel a bit of the peace I once had(for what it was worth at the time)...
Even when she's gone someday and the house is possibly sold I can still go back to that area and feel something.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
In addition, my current situation keeps me stuck-- er, grounded.
What is stuck a bad word around here?
Should I change my name to 'grounded'?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
if its a good place stay put.
i love it.
there comes a point when its not good to sluff off cards hold what you got.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I didn't move until college. Since then I seem to be in a new state every 5 to 7 years, which isnt a real bother as I tend to be a nomad of sorts (It has caused issues with potential spouses though). Each move has been better financially and career-wise so I dont think Its aimless wandering.

When I return to the twin cities, where I grew up, Im surprised at the number of folks who want to go out. Maybe its the perception of success, or maybe those that have never moved want a little bit of the 'grass is greener'.

I think moving to a new area helps one to appreciate peoples similarities, and breaks down stereotypes. Being the only person of your race in a room is an interesting experience for example. I tend to think those that have never moved tend to be a bit more close minded (not always), as their book of life expereinces tends to be highly focused in one region.

None theless, some folks are more comfortable being in established surroundings. Others are kind of explorers at heart. No fault in either.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
My family moved to West Michigan when I was five. We moved around quite a bit, but stayed in the same county until high school, where I stayed all four years. Went to college five miles away, graduated, moved an hour away for a year, then moved back.

I'd stay forever if our state's economy weren't so bad. Just no opportunity, but part of me is excited to try a new place. But there's something very comforting about a home town (or home region). I'm used to the rhythms of life here and will probably come back to the area when my career is established.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm another one who grew up and has lived in L.A. County my entire life. This wasn't necessarily my plan, but when I decided to get married at 21 and have two children by the time I was 24, I didn't have the money to move at first, and when I got a better paying job, I had to stay put and provide my kids some stability as they were growing up.

I'm apprehensive about someday leaving L.A., mostly because of the weather compromises I'd have to make anywhere else. Also, while it's easy to leave here for somewhere less expensive, moving back is not so easy!

In addition, my current situation keeps me stuck-- er, grounded. I have a great job with people I like, my apartment is rent-controlled (and I've lived in it for eleven years!), my commute is only twelve miles one way, and my work hours are such that I miss most of the traffic. In many ways I'm very spoiled, so it would be difficult for me to decide to uproot my life here. I'm not saying that L.A. is 100% wonderful and problem-free, but for me it's "home", and that's difficult to leave. Obviously, I have a real problem going out of my comfort zone!
You obviously haven't had the need to leave, in that case I'd stay put too and it's a great place to be er grounded.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM

27,346 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Not sure if I put in an answer here already but my dad was in the civil service so we moved around a lot. I too, have moved around a lot, for one reason or other, mostly work related. But right now Im in So-Calif and if I dont end up staying up here in the high desert indefinately, have been looking into the midwest as my final move. Its ALWAYS been a target in my heart...the lifestyles, the simple country folks, and I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships