Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,171,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Sexually frustrated, lol. That's pretty hilarious.
gee thanks glad I could help out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
is it easy work?
how do you make such good grades I need tips? lol
what are you going for? Not easy no.....and time consuming. Sadly i'm a perfectionist when it comes to school.....and other stuff. I just simply won't accept less than an A....... I had to debate my way out of a B.....but other than that....just setting the bar high.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
oh I'm so laid back and don't mind a B at all! Sometimes my classmates hate me because of the group work we have to do lol...I'm laid back and they are perfectionists like you and get real mad at my work because it isn't perfect ..haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
what are you going for? Not easy no.....and time consuming. Sadly i'm a perfectionist when it comes to school.....and other stuff. I just simply won't accept less than an A....... I had to debate my way out of a B.....but other than that....just setting the bar high.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,646,247 times
Quote:
That's how I was, too. And Artsy that's why I hate group work, because in a group of 4 or 5 people I always knew I'd be the smartest, hardest working person in that group, so I'd have to do most of the work to make sure it met my standards. It stands to reason if you have a group of 5 people, maybe 1 or 2 want As, 2 are fine with Bs, and the other is ok with a C. So if I want an A+ I have to supervise all of the work that is done and make sure it's actually good.

I had straight A's in college until my last term, when I got my first B in a class that was just based on the professor's opinion of our work, which was really annoying. So I ended up with a 3.97. I also had one A-, but that was it.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Ya dude I'm so laid back and live and let live.....I don't get along with perfectionists at all.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That's how I was, too. And Artsy that's why I hate group work, because in a group of 4 or 5 people I always knew I'd be the smartest, hardest working person in that group, so I'd have to do most of the work to make sure it met my standards. It stands to reason if you have a group of 5 people, maybe 1 or 2 want As, 2 are fine with Bs, and the other is ok with a C. So if I want an A+ I have to supervise all of the work that is done and make sure it's actually good.

I had straight A's in college until my last term, when I got my first B in a class that was just based on the professor's opinion of our work, which was really annoying. So I ended up with a 3.97. I also had one A-, but that was it.
that's really good.....I don't put as much weight on grades as I do knowledge though.......it just so happens that when you fully comprehend something as you should, you achieve good grades.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
the 3 great lies
check is in the mail
be right with you
i dont want kids

Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
that's really good.....I don't put as much weight on grades as I do knowledge though.......it just so happens that when you fully comprehend something as you should, you achieve good grades.
I have to admit I didn't share your philosophy. To me, I couldn't have cared less about most of the classes I took in high school, I mean not much of that really interested me. I mainly cared about grades because I'm a perfectionist, I have high standards, and I wanted to make sure that I could get into a good school after (whether that was college, after high school, or potentially grad school after college). I think the brain is a remarkable organ and does what it should do -- forgets whatever is irrelevant as quickly as possible. I would study really hard in a class, get a great grade, then forget that crap two weeks later if I was lucky. I consider that a blessing. I don't want useless information rattling around in my head, there's already plenty of that around. Now in college, of course I loved my philosophy classes and my film classes, which fortunately made up about 55-60% of my total classes, so I would do great in those classes because I DID care and I wanted the knowledge, I wanted to learn. But in the other classes, it was purely memorize, recite, forget. I couldn't have cared less about those classes, I just looked at it like a job. To me I considered myself a professional student, i.e. I treated it like a job, took it seriously, and played it like a game. That's how I got through school. If I didn't make it into a game and a challenge to get A's, I wouldn't have had any incentive.

I know teachers and all of that will say the point is to learn, then you get an A as a result of that. That's really not true, though. Getting A's is a game and should be played like one. There's a big difference between just learning and getting A's. Getting A's is strategic. You need to analyze the teacher, understand what they like, how they think, what they want to see. Then you need to formulate an approach, different for each class, that maximizes your opportunity to get an A. You need to figure out the point distribution in the class and figure out where your efforts are best spent. If it's heavily about tests, then you need to figure out the best way to study for tests in that class, what format they will be in, etc. If it's mostly about essays it's a different plan. If it's about class participation points you come in with questions and commentary prepared so that you can respond in class and pick up the points. I saw school as like a very unfun video game, where the point of any "level" is to get A's, and I just maximized my opportunities to do that. I couldn't have cared less about most of the useless facts I was having to memorize, because it's not applicable to my life. Knowledge is best acquired on your own, not in classrooms. I look up what I want to know, buy books on it, and learn myself. I don't need it shoved down my throat like school does. So if you're going to shove it down that way, I'll probably throw most of it back up

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 PM

In plain English I think we all know that Jonathan is a little on the self centered side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the 3 great lies
check is in the mail
be right with you
i dont want kids

Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 PM

A little bit?! You're being pretty conservative tonight Artsy. I'd be the first to tell you I'm very self-centered. And the first to tell ask you to explain how it would be possible not to be self-centered. Look at the definitions. The self is you, and centered means in the middle of the whole, roughly. So the self is in the middle of the whole, i.e. your perceptual experiences are based on yourself, and therefore EVERYONE is self-centered no matter what they might think about that word. Just because that word, or hyphenate, has been defamed doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. You can be self-centered but not entirely selfish. I'm self-interested, but that sphere of interest expands to broader horizons. I care about all of my friends and family because, after all, they are MY friends and family, so it benefits me to care about them, too. I care about my community because I live here, so the better my community is, the better it is for me. You just assume that someone who is self-centered can't do nice things for other people, but that's untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships