Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,164 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from people who have gotten a late start in life...your stories(good and bad), how you chose a path. Websites, books etc that may be of help. I'm 48.
Thanks for your help. Anneliz125
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
got hit hard at 45.
bigger stronger better smarter men than me have been hit with less, never to rise again.
have no idea how i did that.
my cup runneth over.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times
What Color is Your Parachute is a classic book for the starter-over.

It's not unusual for us women to have to live our lives in chunks--starting from scratch every ten years or so. We can do it.

Right now, at 44, I'm being hit hard. My life is forever changed. I'll be facing the dreaded reinvention sooner rather than later.

Peace and strength to you.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,720 times
ann-- Be sure to post under the Relationships section too, I have found many inspiring folks there who either have or are going through tough times and changes in their lives. You know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, CD is filled with so many warm spirits who are all here to help each other. I am your age and went thru my big change about 14 years ago, I felt like my world as I knew it was over. Today I am so glad I had to make the changes I did because I have never been happier, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you......

Old 11-05-2008, 02:13 PM

56 posts, read 152,082 times
I am 49 and I've started over a few times in my life. When a job ends, usually because that particular industry tanks, I have to start over. Going to technical schools. (I have done that twice about 10 years apart) Started over when my marriage ended in '91 just before getting laid off from the Aircraft industry. That was in '93. I never have felt safe enough in any postition to buy a home. I have remained single for 17 years mostly because breakups are so difficult for me to go through. I have dated briefly in those 17 years though. It will make you a tougher person going through this however, sometimes it is not a pleasant thing, I know. I did find inspiration from an author named Wayne Dyer. I only read 1 of his books, "Real Magic" back in '94. It took me awhile to grasp the concept, but i finally figured it out.
You can ask friends and relatives to help you. I had to rely on a friend who was a manager of a company to hire me. I prolly would have gone under if she didn't. It was out of my industry and I tolerated it for well over a year before finding something in my industry.

Last edited by indigo2; 11-05-2008 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
My boyfriend's mom got remarried at ~50 years old, and to a really great guy. Then she went to art school. She won a few local art competitions. Currently she is working at an art gallery and just got a promotion. I don't think that it's ever too late to try something new. A good way to start is by taking some adult ed classes or even just going to your local public library. Also consider volunteer work. It's a great way to meet new and different people. Networking is where it's at.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
who needs to "start over"....just start each new day as something new, productive, and wonderful.........that easy

Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
I'm in the middle of reinventing myself. I used to have a lucrative career. Now I'm a teacher. Unfortunately, we're not worth much to society.

You just do it and take one day at a time. Look at every opportunity and decide if you'd like to try it. Whatever you do, don't stand still

I'm 49 BTW and this is my second major reinvention of myself.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
At age 54, I went to grad school, moving to another state where I got accepted. Five yrs later, I had to move half-way acorss the country to take an internship. I stayed, where I knew no one, 'cause I liked the area. You do what you have to do to make a better life for yourself. I have been happy here, made good friends through work, the neighbors, and an activity. Life goes on.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
SBIU,

good post. Best wishes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
At age 54, I went to grad school, moving to another state where I got accepted. Five yrs later, I had to move half-way acorss the country to take an internship. I stayed, where I knew no one, 'cause I liked the area. You do what you have to do to make a better life for yourself. I have been happy here, made good friends through work, the neighbors, and an activity. Life goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships