Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

855 posts, read 1,386,361 times

Advertisements

Some people who are considered attractive by society standards are meaner and nastier to others whose looks don't measure up to theirs. This type of social cleansing exists because you will find groups of people hanging out where the caliber of physical looks is universal throughout. Beautiful people, especially girls associate with others reflective of the same quality of looks they have. It's not always the case because some beautiful people don't get approached as much as others so it might look like they are putting up a front to deters those they don't want to attract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,273,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
This is a trend that I think I just noticed.

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.

Being a young adult straight single male, by default I've noticed this primarily with young women, but I've also noticed this amoung young guys too when I was bored.

Perhaps it is just my area.
The Greater Toronto Area is known for residents to be pretty cold or indifferent to strangers.
Perhaps I'm only noticing this because actractive people tend to draw more attention.

Or maybe I'm on to something...
Big Ego's they think they're too good to polite and well mannered and god forbid they actually crack a smile

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:

Most very attractive people (young adults in particular) seem to have a near-permanent stone-faced expression on their face in public. They either never say anything or never say much and come across to me as very-unfriendly.

Being a young adult straight single male, by default I've noticed this primarily with young women, but I've also noticed this amoung young guys too when I was bored.

The Greater Toronto Area is known for residents to be pretty cold or indifferent to strangers.
Perhaps I'm only noticing this because actractive people tend to draw more attention.

Are the not-so-attractive people friendlier and do they smile more? A comparison could help answer some of your questions. I always look for a warm smile. That makes almost anyone attractive.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,817,161 times
Actually, most people, at least in big cities, don't act friendly. And why would we? No matter what we look like, we get harassed by homeless people and constantly get questions from tourists. I mean, why would I walk around with a goofy smile like an idiot? Yes, my life is good, but that doesn't mean I want to converse with strangers.

1/3 to 1/2 of people are introverted so right there a lot of people aren't going to act friendly out in public. And then some of the others may be having a stressful day due to work or whatever. Others are just spaced out in their own thoughts.

Don't see what the big deal is.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,152,306 times
I usually don't come across this issue, but this past weekend I was at Starbucks and, as I was in line, I noticed the guy in front of me was ordering a certain drink. He was very attractive, but that didn't matter because I was curious to get his input on whether the drink was any good and wasn't trying to flirt or anything. I asked him, in a non-flirtatious way, if it was any good because I had been curious to try it for a while. He just kinda scoffed at me and rudely responded, "yea...it's good..." in an unfriendly manner, rolled his eyes a bit and quickly turned his back to me, as if I was being a nuisance or hitting on him or something. I don't know if it had to do with the fact that he was a good-looking guy and had an enormous ego as a result, or if his natural disposition was to just blow people off, but that's the first time that something like that ever happened to me while standing in line, and it was quite embarrassing. Anyway, for the most part, most attractive people I've come across DON'T act like this...I was just taken aback by the whole thing.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM

143 posts, read 193,064 times
It may be unintentional, you know. All my life I've been told I look unfriendly, but I'm just sitting there...should I keep a big goofy smile on my face?

It was just a few weeks ago I was at my favorite bar, just relaxing, watching the band. Some guy comes up to the bar, stares at me a few seconds, then asked if I was having a good time. I said that I was, and then resumed watching the band. He says, "Fine, just keep looking ******y, then."

I mean, excuse me? If I'm talking to friends then I'll be smiling and laughing, but if I'm just sitting there watching a band or the TV, then my facial expression is pretty placid. I don't know what people want from me....

Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Actually, most people, at least in big cities, don't act friendly. And why would we? No matter what we look like, we get harassed by homeless people and constantly get questions from tourists. I mean, why would I walk around with a goofy smile like an idiot?
That sort of thing (bolded) usually only happens in certain neighborhoods. As to smiling, idk: women are constantly told to smile all the time, because it makes them more attractive. Maybe it's about time men got with the program, as well...

Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
well the women that are attractive have the Attitude Problem to begin with, and there not as attractive as they think they are.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,246,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaKendall View Post
It may be unintentional, you know. All my life I've been told I look unfriendly, but I'm just sitting there...should I keep a big goofy smile on my face?

It was just a few weeks ago I was at my favorite bar, just relaxing, watching the band. Some guy comes up to the bar, stares at me a few seconds, then asked if I was having a good time. I said that I was, and then resumed watching the band. He says, "Fine, just keep looking ******y, then."

I mean, excuse me? If I'm talking to friends then I'll be smiling and laughing, but if I'm just sitting there watching a band or the TV, then my facial expression is pretty placid. I don't know what people want from me....
Yeah, I get this a lot.

"Are you okay?"
"Are you sure you're enjoying yourself?"
"You seem upset."
"If you're going to be here with that kind of attitude, you might as well go home."

Seriously, can't a person just interact with other people and look how they want to look? I'm not scoffing or mad. I just want to enjoy my time and then go home.

Getting back to the OP's original question. I have met a lot of very attractive people who have been the rudest people I have met in my entire life. And by my own standards, I have met some very unattractive people who were cruel and mean spirited. I think in this case, correlation doesn't always equal causation. I know some people who are rude, because of how they look. But guess what? Sometimes, they're mean because they've been treated poorly their whole lives just because they look a certain way. Others are rude because they don't feel it necessary to be around people "below" them. It takes all kinds.

Personally, I love unfriendly people, attractive or not. It makes it clearer who I need to avoid.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 AM

322 posts, read 505,029 times
Quote:

Attractive women are narcissitic, stuck up, and act like they're better than everyone else. I wouldn't want to date a good looking woman, I know that sounds weird coming from a guy, but It's true in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships