Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:25 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times

Advertisements

Well, its been a long time..........

Not sure if this should be in relations forum or parenting, but here it goes.

My son is 19.

He fell in "love" last year.

The girl he fell in love with was 17 at the time. She is currently married to another man, going through a divorce. (Yeah, he can pick them).

She was living in a efficiency with 2 other people. My son was not "happy" with the situation, so he found a place out by us for the two of them. He has been working, earning a good living for a 19 y.o. and is doing his best at being responsible.

She refuses to work. She tells him she is looking, but always has an excuse. She did manage to land 2 jobs at different times, but got fired from both within 2 weeks. She has not held a job since he has known her.
She does not cook. The house makes a pig sty look inviting.

Their relations ship is very much so on the rocks---- and he would like to loose her BUT (of course) now there is a baby on the way.
He wants to do the right thing, and is trying very hard to do so.

She has gotten them financially under water. He has been working out of town for the last two months, sending her money to pay the bills, eat, have gas ect. She has not been paying the bills except for the rent.

Her car needs lots of work. She is driving with expired tags from another state, expired license ect. All due to the fact that her soon to be ex has not sent her the paperwork for the car to be transfered. She can drive all over town to do what she wants BUT when it comes to getting a job "her car won't make it".

This week, she had money left over from the power bill. Instead of putting it towards repairing her car, she bought some cheap wedding rings. Which sent my son into a furry. First off, he told her that he would not marry someone who was not willing to help out the relationship. Secondly, they had previously looked at them over the weekend and he told her they couldn't afford them. So as soon as left town to go back to work, she went and bought them anyways. Thirdly, he told her if she was going to spend money she should of bought diapers or something they will use.

Her and I knock heads at least once a week. She is dumber than a bag of rocks and thinks she know everything and does not know when to SHUT UP !

Last night was the last straw for me. She has to come to me for money. She depends on me to take her to her dr. visits, which next week will be the first visit. She is standing in my kitchen telling me how upset my son was about the purchase of rings. I of course, agree with my son. Especially because last week she calls me and tells me she is hungry and has no toilette paper. Well, it got heated to say the least. She then proceeds to tell me......(deep breath, excuse me) that if they are not married, the baby will not have my sons last name, will not ligitamately (sp) be his child BUT he will pay child support AND will have NO right to said child.
Needless to say, I became unglued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her she needed to leave my house before things got extremely ugly.
My son wants to be completely responsible for this child, that has never been a question.

So, now he wants to end it with her. They live together, he works in another state at the time. He wants her to leave their house since she is not contributing in any way. He would leave but does not want to do the wrong thing by breaking the lease. They are both on the lease, BUT she was a minor at the time they signed, and was legally able to enter into a contract by law.

He is not happy with her. She has often told him that he needs to choose between his parents or her.

"THOUGHTS"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM

She recently received that title to her car. Which she signed my sons name to and tried to register it in his name, there was an error on the title and it has not transfered yet. She did manage to put it on his insurance without him being present, and he is now paying for insurance on a car that is not legally his.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
First things first: paternity test.

Seriously.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Oh yes !!
I have discussed this previously with my son. And very sternly told her last night, that that would be the first thing as soon as the baby is born.
Funny thing is, it wasn't until she found out that he had to go out of town to work, that she come up pregnant.
All of us are questioning the pregnancy. She is a chunky girl, and is supposedly 5 months. She has lost weight if anything, and brags about loosing weight. She is in no way showing any signs of pregnancy.

I think he should end it now rather than wait till the baby is born.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Exactly, plaidmom!! Paternity test before he spends another dime on this girl. I'm willing to bet money that one of the reasons she hasn't found a job is that it would interfere with some extracurricular activities. How you treat her will all depend on whose child she is carrying. If it isn't your grandchild, I would say break the lease and tell her to start walking.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM

BTW, where are HER parents?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Exactly, plaidmom!! Paternity test before he spends another dime on this girl. I'm willing to bet money that one of the reasons she hasn't found a job is that it would interfere with some extracurricular activities. How you treat her will all depend on whose child she is carrying. If it isn't your grandchild, I would say break the lease and tell her to start walking.
Baby isn't due till end of May.
Wouldn't it be better to break it off now and deal with the child support, than to wait till baby is born and him have to leave his place and let her and baby live there while he pays for it all?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
BTW, where are HER parents?
AHHHH, thanks for asking.....

Her parents signed her off at 16 to get married to a less than desirable guy. Her parents are hypocrites. They have not helped her in any way. They don't care where she is at or how she is doing. They have not sent any help financially.
They love her over the phone, but do not care if she eats of freezes to death.
They are reformed christians and think of us as bad people because we don't thump the bible. BUT we (husband,self and son) have been feeding and providing for her since May of last year.
Will only allow her back at the house if she attends church everyday-sick or not, cause daddy is a preacher and it is an embarrasment to him if she isn't in church.

(Not knocking all christians what so ever, just these particular ones )

Edit : Let me clear myself. Please excuse me. Her parents are a very sensitive subject.
They don't care if she eats, has a warm place to stay or drives a dangerous car. Even though my son has given them a good start, her parents has yet to help them get started at all. She (girlfriend) recently asked them for help with tags for her car and they flat out told her no.
I would personally never let my son go hungry or sleep on the streets. He has a warm meal and a warm bed here if he ever needs it. I guess what I am trying to say is being a christian has nothing to do with it, being a parent does. They just seem more concern about their image with the church than their own daughter.

Last edited by theqbaby; 12-03-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Agreed: a paternity test is an absolute must here. If he is the father, he has visitation rights under that law...and child support responsibilities. She will NOT be able to completely take the baby away from him. Naming the child is legally the right of the mother: should could call the baby Jello Pudding if she wants and there is nothing you, or your son, can do about that.

Yes, she sounds like a train wreck. But Mom, your son is now 19. Young, yes. But you can't momma this boy forever and he is legally emancipated. He's a man who's gotta stand up for himself -- on his own. Yes, you can help him but you cannot and should not do it for him, and and you must refrain from interfering too much here. You might tell him that you will let him live with you temporarily if he breaks the lease and leaves her, but under no circumstances will you let her live with you or give her money. And he can only stay until he gets a job and up on his feet with a place of his own. You should end her gravy-training off of you.

Frankly, breaking a lease is a minor woe if that is what it takes for him to get away from this life-wrecking young woman. But he's gotta make that decision on his own.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Okay, so she really doesn't have any true parent figures in her life. It figures. I would say one of the problems is that she is really still a child. She has a lot more growing up to do. I'm not sure if she is already a completely lost cause. So this could go one of two ways:

1. You could do your best to take her under your wing and help her to mature and make good decisions and choices. This would take a LOT of patience on your part, but may be very rewarding in the long run.

2. You could just cut her off and your son could move out now and just pay the child support (assuming it's his).

The problem with option #2 is that if this girl is raising your grandchild, she may do a horrible job of it. I don't know if that will prey on your conscience or not. This could lead to a third option of trying to get custody of the child, if you really think she is an unfit mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships