Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times

Advertisements

Money and the alleged women's desire to get their little hands on men's money has been a hot topic many times on this forum, so I decided to start this thread.

How do you feel about the connection between wealth and sensuality? We all like to escape to nice resorts once in a while, indulge, bask in luxury, and it feels good, doesn't it? It would feel even better if it happens more often or perhaps permanently. All worries go away, you're in a good mood, you're open to sharing sweet and romantic times, your libidos go up and you enjoy each other a whole lot more than during you regular trivial life. Can anybody honestly deny that?

Being financially comfortable also greases the wheels of otherwise not that good of a marriage. Many of the sources of arguments simply go away and you live like on a permanent vacation - in a good and relaxed mood. Back in St. Olaf we have this saying - when poverty goes through the door love leaves through the chimney. To a big extend it's true. Or at least it contributes quite a bit to the deterioration of a relationship that might've not been that great, but could've survived under different circumstances.

Let's take the show The Bachelor, for example. Even though most men on it have been more or less successful, few (if any) of them live in surroundings such as those on the show on a regular basis. Do these women who go ga-ga over them fall in love with them or with the lifestyle? Well, other factors play here, too, of course - the cattiness and competitiveness of this type of women, but that's not my angle here. It's easy to get used to and "fall in love" with an attractive lifestyle, isn't it? Does anybody not love being around gorgeous pools, inviting spas, swaying palm trees, cozy fireplaces, etc., etc. luxuries? Beauty is appealing in each and every form. Do you all honestly can say you're above it, men included?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,165 times
I think what you're trying to say is, you want to whisk me off to a tropical paradise and you're wondering if I'll put out?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Money and the alleged women's desire to get their little hands on men's money has been a hot topic many times on this forum, so I decided to start this thread.

How do you feel about the connection between wealth and sensuality? We all like to escape to nice resorts once in a while, indulge, bask in luxury, and it feels good, doesn't it? It would feel even better if it happens more often or perhaps permanently. All worries go away, you're in a good mood, you're open to sharing sweet and romantic times, your libidos go up and you enjoy each other a whole lot more than during you regular trivial life. Can anybody honestly deny that?

Being financially comfortable also greases the wheels of otherwise not that good of a marriage. Many of the sources of arguments simply go away and you live like on a permanent vacation - in a good and relaxed mood. Back in St. Olaf we have this saying - when poverty goes through the door love leaves through the chimney. To a big extend it's true. Or at least it contributes quite a bit to the deterioration of a relationship that might've not been that great, but could've survived under different circumstances.

Let's take the show The Bachelor, for example. Even though most men on it have been more or less successful, few (if any) of them live in surroundings such as those on the show on a regular basis. Do these women who go ga-ga over them fall in love with them or with the lifestyle? Well, other factors play here, too, of course - the cattiness and competitiveness of this type of women, but that's not my angle here. It's easy to get used to and "fall in love" with an attractive lifestyle, isn't it? Does anybody not love being around gorgeous pools, inviting spas, swaying palm trees, cozy fireplaces, etc., etc. luxuries? Beauty is appealing in each and every form. Do you all honestly can say you're above it, men included?
Each woman is different. Take a normal suburban house and a woman with nothing might look at it like it's awesome, another that it's just fine and some hollywood golddigger would drop you in a heartbeat for someone with an actual mansion.

There is no question that being stable financially and all that comes with it can be very attractive especially if the other person has experienced some of the hard consequences of things like not having enough food in the fridge or hot water etc. It also speaks to the persons character etc. that they were able to make the types of decisions that afford them whatever lifestyle they have.

I have 2 cars...a bare-bones Corolla and a high-end Corvette (profile picture).
When I was actively dating....first dates I ALWAYS showed up in guess which one?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
I think what you're trying to say is, you want to whisk me off to a tropical paradise and you're wondering if I'll put out?
You can put this way!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:

Ok. So explain to me why poor people always seem to have so many children.

I do not agree with your description of the "good life". I have been in these kinds of settings and I was *not* relaxed. You are NOT sleeping in your own bed, you are not eating the food that you are used to eating - often resulting in very unpleasant gastronomic side effects, you are having to deal with strangers who often do not speak English that well and who are only being nice to you because it is their job to do so and they are hoping for a tip.

Being very well off usually means that you are constantly worried about something happening to your money. Where are your investments today, what is the stock market doing???? Or worrying about dishonest people trying to get your money. Or family members trying to ********* out of your money, the list goes on and on.

Do you know what really raises my libido? Spending a good summer's afternoon working in the garden with my husband. Pulling weeds, hauling rocks, building walls, hoeing the garden. At the end of the day, you are tired but in a darn good way. You take a nice warm shower, grab a beer and sit back on the porch to talk and laugh the evening away. This is natures greatest aphrodisiac. You can have your Egyptian Sheets and five-star resorts, give me a good honest days work, with the man I love. Yeeee Haaaaa

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I was actively dating....first dates I ALWAYS showed up in guess which one?
No doubt in the one I TOLD ya not to!

That's not exactly my point, though. The point is some (men or women) can provide a lot more pampering and great times and that can be seductive.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Maybe women are wired to seek men who are the best able to provide, just like men are wired to chase women with large breast and hips for "child bearing".

Is that what you are asking?

Or is it that when you're too broke to pay your rent that you're also not as interested in sex? Not that it's not a good distraction.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
No doubt in the one I TOLD ya not to!

That's not exactly my point, though. The point is some (men or women) can provide a lot more pampering and great times and that can be seductive.
I think a restful\fun trip somewhere can be amazingly seductive but it doesn't have to be a fancy place for most people. So yeah, I agree with you.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok. So explain to me why poor people always seem to have so many children.
Because they can't afford any other entertainment?!

Quote:
I do not agree with your description of the "good life". I have been in these kinds of settings and I was *not* relaxed. You are NOT sleeping in your own bed, you are not eating the food that you are used to eating - often resulting in very unpleasant gastronomic side effects, you are having to deal with strangers who often do not speak English that well and who are only being nice to you because it is their job to do so and they are hoping for a tip.
Well, it's not like in the US service people are nice to you for any other reason... As far as the rest, yes, personal opinions differ.

Quote:
Being very well off usually means that you are constantly worried about something happening to your money. Where are your investments today, what is the stock market doing???? Or worrying about dishonest people trying to get your money. Or family members trying to ********* out of your money, the list goes on and on.
Not if it's more than enough.

Quote:
Do you know what really raises my libido? Spending a good summer's afternoon working in the garden with my husband. Pulling weeds, hauling rocks, building walls, hoeing the garden. At the end of the day, you are tired but in a darn good way. You take a nice warm shower, grab a beer and sit back on the porch to talk and laugh the evening away. This is natures greatest aphrodisiac. You can have your Egyptian Sheets and five-star resorts, give me a good honest days work, with the man I love. Yeeee Haaaaa

20yrsinBranson
Oh, I've nothing against your description of a good day. I wouldn't mind similar kind of a day, either... could be even the same day. It makes a little difference when you do it because you love to do it or because you have to do it, though. This reminds me of a story I like:

The Mexican Fisherman!

And also, they say it's just as easy to love a rich man as it is to love a poor man.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
I am always fascinated when people are "confused" about the way the world works.

Men want beautiful women. The more money a man has the more beautiful the woman he can afford to have. (while this is not 100%, it holds true for most)

Women want to feel secure, protected and cared for (although many feminist types will disagree this is also for the most part true) The more attractive a woman, the better her selection of men who can be a good provider.

Why is this a mystery to anyone?

Men are for ever asking if women only date for money. They want to date beautiful women while living in their parents basement and driving a Pinto. Then they call women goldiggers for wanting more than they can afford offer.

Men date the best looking women they can afford and women date the wealthiest men their looks attract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships