Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,943,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post

If (like me) you go to a place where jobs are more plentiful, this ratio is probably closer to 3:1. Rural/depressed areas actually have a surplus of single women but the guys don't have a job.
You aren't kidding about that stat. I live in a depressed area and there are a lot of single, nice looking, professional women out there and no guys.

Here's a quick run down on guys i've run into that are in their 30s and live in my area. Some have no job or are struggling to get by on an $8/hr factory job, perhaps still live at home. Then there are the guys that are still into the party scene and the like to hook up with young naive 20-somethings. Then you've got the recently divorced guy w/2 to 3 kids and lots of drama. Lastly, you have the worst of the worst guy, decent looking, decent job, but has a kid..........you look past it because you're getting older and don't want to be too picky. He seems nice, talks about the future, then out of the blue drops off the face of the earth or forgets to call you back. Later you realize he's a big fat liar, has bad credit, probably has a g/f or worse isn't even divorced yet! OMG! I don't know how much longer i can put up w/these guys!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,860,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
You aren't kidding about that stat. I live in a depressed area and there are a lot of single, nice looking, professional women out there and no guys............
I visited the east about 7 years ago. I've already alluded to this in a thread but the question was "why are you single?" It was like "its time to grow up!" I was taken aback and struggled for an explanation. Nobody here would ask such a question.

Where I work, there are about 85 professional staff, mostly between 40 and 60 and about 1/3 female. I don't know everyone that well but I know at least 6 single guys in their 40s, good income and own a house (paid off or nearly so). I don't think that they were that picky - I certainly wasn't - but if my experience was generalized, the prospects were just "too far off base".The last one I gave every chance to and as I got to know her more, it just got worse and worse. It always amuses me when people say they can make a decision about people within a few minutes but the alternative is to get drawn in and having a difficult time to extricate oneself.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,691,668 times
That is the only downside to the rural area I live, the women. Scary stuff. I mean really scary. It's a really nice town but economic opportunities are few so it's either army, college or get married at 18 and work a blue collar job.

Pretty much the demographic of single women around here is:

1. 18 and just out of high school working at Maccas
2. 19 and pregnant or one child, no father around
3. 23 and 3 children, no father around
4. 20's, tattoo covered skank worshiping witches
5. 30's going on 55, massively overweight, aged before her time, has given up any hope of looking good with 4 children and a ciggie dangling from the mouth.
6. 40-60's an extremely rough element.

There are no single, professional decent women in their late 20's early 30's around here. I'm definitely going to have to be searching 50 miles outside of the area. Definitely. There is a small university 15 miles away so if I do want to go to the token few college bars over there and pick up college chicks I guess I can do that.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,848,675 times
Yeah, I'm having a tough time. I made some crappy decisions, such as leaving grad school and having major surgery that left me weaker than before I had it, which have kind of put my life on pause. It's so much work to get myself back to where I used to be. I'm working my way back to normal, actually. I am putting a ton of pressure on myself because I want to be where my friends from school are now. I want the house and the husband and the great job. Right now I have none of these.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,872,840 times
Quote:
I mean, if you're having a tough time in your early 30s with no spouse, no kids and no obligations, when do you think it's going to get better? It's time you got your act together, my friend.
Honestly, having wife, kids etc only causes stress. No obligations? Are you kidding me? That is paradise. Go out and party for the love of god! Then again I am 20 so my life is nothing but a party. Love it

Old 01-14-2009, 07:03 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
I remember fondly when I was a 30 yo.
That year (1985) I made my female companion pregnant with my future (and only ) son, I traveled to Canary islands, Balearic islands, and Hawaian islands, and , cherry on the pie, had a TWO stands with other gals (and a near miss in LA with another one!).
When I look over my shoulder, those were glorious, happy days! now at 53 it's all doom and gloom, but that's life!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,880,699 times
...I had the best of both worlds! to have a kid and family is wonderful, to be free and travel is wonderful too, I managed both at the same time for a while because circumstances allowed it, all the time knowing however it wouldn't last, I wasn't naive (not cynical either), I was still young and perfectly healthy, and I embraced the best life had to offer!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 AM

323 posts, read 835,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
You aren't kidding about that stat. I live in a depressed area and there are a lot of single, nice looking, professional women out there and no guys.

Here's a quick run down on guys i've run into that are in their 30s and live in my area. Some have no job or are struggling to get by on an $8/hr factory job, perhaps still live at home. Then there are the guys that are still into the party scene and the like to hook up with young naive 20-somethings. Then you've got the recently divorced guy w/2 to 3 kids and lots of drama. Lastly, you have the worst of the worst guy, decent looking, decent job, but has a kid..........you look past it because you're getting older and don't want to be too picky. He seems nice, talks about the future, then out of the blue drops off the face of the earth or forgets to call you back. Later you realize he's a big fat liar, has bad credit, probably has a g/f or worse isn't even divorced yet! OMG! I don't know how much longer i can put up w/these guys!!!!!
Great post, but you left out the guys with kids that they rarely or don't see (fabulous father material).
You pretty much summed up relationships in my 30s...liars and lazy (bad work ethic).

Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,650,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Anyone else have a tough time in their early 30s?

Regret that education/career-wise you arent where you feel you..
Should be?
Finding out that dating or meeting people wasnt as easy as your 20's.

When i hit 30 i did the whole" what have i done with my life thing"
Anyone else have a tough time?
I'm in my 30s and even though my life didn't turn out the way I had hoped or expected, I'm still happier in my 30s than I was in my 20s. Some things are easier, others are harder. Meeting people is a lot harder but the career thing is actually easier cause I'm more established and not worried about paying off any debt. Plus, I make more money. But I don't do that whole "what have I done with my life" thing when I reach certain birthdays. Usually, it happens when I hear about a major life change in someone else's life. If someone I know got married or had a kid, then it makes me reflect on my life and feel like everyone else is moving forward but me. It can be tough sometime, but as long as you set clear goals and work towards them, when you achieve them becomes less important. Just getting there matters more.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM

249 posts, read 473,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Anyone else have a tough time in their early 30s?

Regret that education/career-wise you aren't where you feel you..
Should be?
Finding out that dating or meeting people wasnt as easy as your 20's.

When i hit 30 i did the whole" what have i done with my life thing"
Anyone else have a tough time?
Joe you are not alone, I did the same thing and I am still trying to find my home. You are right dating and meeting people are not the same as it was in my 20's
it is not as easy. I am a bicentennial baby too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships