Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,046 times

Advertisements

What do you do if you're seeing someone and they have bad table etiquette? And when I say bad etiquette, I mean, they sound like a pig eating at a trough. The last two guys I've seen are just horrible. Loud chewing, mouth smacking, chewed food showing, wearing it on thier face. If it's in a resaurant with noise and other things to look at, I can ignore it but, if it's at home in a quiet room...Ugh. I can't eat. I become nauseated. If I've spent a lot of time and money on the meal, I can become angry too. How do you deal with this? I have trouble saying anything because I hate to hurt a person's feelings or be rude. Maybe it's just one of those quirks I have that limits who I can date?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,264 times
Manners are taught to us. If you like the guy and want to try to salvage it - do it right back in the most sow-like manner possible. If he doesn't question or notice it, dump him and move on to the next guy. That's what I would do. If he does catch it - it could be something he corrects and the incident could end up being your own little inside joke later on.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnrs View Post
What do you do if you're seeing someone and they have bad table etiquette? And when I say bad etiquette, I mean, they sound like a pig eating at a trough. The last two guys I've seen are just horrible. Loud chewing, mouth smacking, chewed food showing, wearing it on thier face. If it's in a resaurant with noise and other things to look at, I can ignore it but, if it's at home in a quiet room...Ugh. I can't eat. I become nauseated. If I've spent a lot of time and money on the meal, I can become angry too. How do you deal with this? I have trouble saying anything because I hate to hurt a person's feelings or be rude. Maybe it's just one of those quirks I have that limits who I can date?

Well, at least you'll know if they like your cooking.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
If I go out on a date and she does not show manners, I would just excuse myself and leave. A person with no manners on a public place is not very pleasant to deal with.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Smack him in the back of the head and ask if he was raised by pigs. Or you could carry one of those hand held mirrors and hold it up so he could see how disgusting he looks.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Turn away and don't go back. A guy who lacks manners will never have them.

It's really not that hard to learn to close your mouth while you chew, so a person who refuses to do so is obviously a person who doesn't care about the effect he has on others.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,918 times
Is this a blind-date nightmare? There's no way you wouldn't know if a guy has bad table manners after being with him for a while.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
To quote the old song - "Dump that Chump, Lose that Loser.." Be glad you were quickly and cheaply able to identify an unsuitable candidate...Maybe you need to change your pick-up locations and/or strategy if you got 2 of these in a row.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
If a person hasn't learned manners by the time he/she is old enough to date, it'll never happen. If it's just some little thing you might get them to change, but if it's bad manners in general, I'd just move on to the next person on your list.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Manners are a big deal to me and while yes they are taught to us, I firmly believe that even if you werent taught proper manners and table etiquette that it's something you should make it a point to do. That's just me. If I were single again and dating a guy that ate like that at the table, I'd have a hard time seeing him again. It's equally as important to some men. When I first met my now fiance he said one of the first things he noticed on our first date was how nice my table manners were and my etiquette and he had mentioned that it was something important to him (amongst other things).
I'm kind of also in agreeance with WyoNewk. Lack of manners for me also shows a lack of class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships