Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

We were out having dinner with some friends and they had their two kids with them. I don't have a problem with people bringing their kids to an event that is basically adult time, as long as they are polite and have manners.

These two kids one is a girl and age 15 the other is a boy, age 11. First of all this girl is a snobby brat always has been even when she was 9 she acted like a snotty prima donna. Well were having dinner and she belches somewhat discreetly but then she leans over to her little brother and blew it in his face!!!

I'm like WTF?? Then of course he starts complaining and at that point I don't mind him making a ruckus, cause you know, a belch in the face ain't no picnic.

I'm seeing this type of behavior all over the place, TV for one I think is showing people being as gross and repulsive as they can be. Especially those lame ass reality shows.

It seems to me that standards have fallen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Oh, no, Chow. You simply do not understand. The entire world is supposed to revolve around the needs of children. They are expected to do precisely as they please, they are supposed to be brought to every social event, and they are supposed to be clucked over indulgently by adults like you and me without hesitation. To do otherwise would squash their creativity and impose nothing more than an arbitrary set of requirements on them. For nothing should stand between children and their fulfillment.

So if you want to have an adult conversation and the child interrupts, the entire discussion should grind to a halt until the child's favorite subject is mined and exhausted. If the child ventures gratuitous opinions that have nothing to do with reality, we are to nod sagely at the little prodigy.

Of course, when they turn 21, they are magically expected to act as socially aware adults. You know, the kind of people who actually say please and thank you, and don't push little old ladies out of the way to get to the front of the line. But until then, don't you dare expect them to behave as if there are other people in the room who maybe, just maybe, have something of importance to say. For not only will you crush the darling's fulfillment, but you risk the indignation of the parents as well, who have worked so hard to sculpt them into the veritable hope of the species. Far be it from you to actually insist on proper behavior. They are just so above that.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, no, Chow. You simply do not understand. The entire world is supposed to revolve around the needs of children. They are expected to do precisely as they please, they are supposed to be brought to every social event, and they are supposed to be clucked over indulgently by adults like you and me without hesitation. To do otherwise would squash their creativity and impose nothing more than an arbitrary set of requirements on them. For nothing should stand between children and their fulfillment.

So if you want to have an adult conversation and the child interrupts, the entire discussion should grind to a halt until the child's favorite subject is mined and exhausted. If the child ventures gratuitous opinions that have nothing to do with reality, we are to nod sagely at the little prodigy.

Of course, when they turn 21, they are magically expected to act as socially aware adults. You know, the kind of people who actually say please and thank you, and don't push little old ladies out of the way to get to the front of the line. But until then, don't you dare expect them to behave as if there are other people in the room who maybe, just maybe, have something of importance to say. For not only will you crush the darling's fulfillment, but you risk the indignation of the parents as well, who have worked so hard to sculpt them into the veritable hope of the species. Far be it from you to actually insist on proper behavior. They are just so above that.
lol, that's funny

My kids have special needs, and they use to have a real hard time out, and we minimized others having to deal with their behaviors, but now, I see kids out in public that act WAY worse than my kids and they don't even have an excuse! lol

Just because my kids have special needs, didn't mean they would get to run amuck. They can't speak, but you bet they will sign "thank you" and "please"

Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:

You are absolutely correct about the way people are raising kids today. When I was growing up it seemed like adults had more of their "adult" time. People put way way too much emphasis on the kids. It's like parents lives should just revolve around their children.

Don't get me wrong obviously parents should be involved with their kids, but sometimes I wonder....

I feel somewhat reluctant to voice this opinion, as I have no kids myself. Some people might think that I have my opinion because I don't have kids.

I have a brain and can observe people around me, right

Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
lol, that's funny

My kids have special needs, and they use to have a real hard time out, and we minimized others having to deal with their behaviors, but now, I see kids out in public that act WAY worse than my kids and they don't even have an excuse! lol

Just because my kids have special needs, didn't mean they would get to run amuck. They can't speak, but you bet they will sign "thank you" and "please"
Yes. I fully understand and appreciate the special challenges of some children. An aware adult takes that into account. The ones we're discussing, of course, are the ones who do not face any issues like that, yet still manage to treat every home and every social occasion as if they were Alaric and his horde sacking Rome.

If the primary responsibility of a parent is to prepare his or her child to function in the world upon graduating high school, then teaching a child really good manners is a vital important component of that.

Manners are not some arcane code. Manners are not about where you put the fish fork in the place setting. Manners, simply put, are about thinking of the people around you. Showing gratitude for hospitality. Not disrupting every event. Thinking that you're not the center of everything. Yet, I'm amazed at the number of people who cannot insist on their children saying please or thank you.

To be honest, I think saying 'Ma'am' and 'Sir' are awfully good things to learn as well, for no child is the equal of any adult, and it's high time children learned that. I realize that some of you object strenuously to that, but I believe strongly that one has to to learn that one has to earn equal status with adults, rather than assume it automatically conferred the moment the child emerges from the womb. It would make the life of any teacher or employer a great deal easier.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Yes. I fully understand and appreciate the special challenges of some children. An aware adult takes that into account. The ones we're discussing, of course, are the ones who do not face any issues like that, yet still manage to treat every home and every social occasion as if they were Alaric and his horde sacking Rome.

If the primary responsibility of a parent is to prepare his or her child to function in the world upon graduating high school, then teaching a child really good manners is a vital important component of that.

Manners are not some arcane code. Manners are not about where you put the fish fork in the place setting. Manners, simply put, are about thinking of the people around you. Showing gratitude for hospitality. Not disrupting every event. Thinking that you're not the center of everything. Yet, I'm amazed at the number of people who cannot insist on their children saying please or thank you.

To be honest, I think saying 'Ma'am' and 'Sir' are awfully good things to learn as well, for no child is the equal of any adult, and it's high time children learned that. I realize that some of you object strenuously to that, but I believe strongly that one has to to learn that one has to earn equal status with adults, rather than assume it automatically conferred the moment the child emerges from the womb. It would make the life of any teacher or employer a great deal easier.
Oh, I couldn't agree with you more......

Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are absolutely correct about the way people are raising kids today. When I was growing up it seemed like adults had more of their "adult" time. People put way way too much emphasis on the kids. It's like parents lives should just revolve around their children.

Don't get me wrong obviously parents should be involved with their kids, but sometimes I wonder....

I feel somewhat reluctant to voice this opinion, as I have no kids myself. Some people might think that I have my opinion because I don't have kids.

I have a brain and can observe people around me, right
Nope, you're totally right. You are on the money, sir.

My kids have plenty of friends who like coming over to our house to play. My rules are simple: Respect me, respect my wife, respect each other, respect our rules. If they can't follow those simple rules, then they are deposited on their own doorsteps forthwith.

I did that with my son's spend the night guests who talked back to me when it was time for bed. The kid actually sassed me, so I took him home and rang the doorbell. I handed the kid to the parents, and said the Nicholas would be welcome back when he had manners. The next time he came over, you better believe he was the soul of etiquette.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 PM

To add to CPG's posting I think that too many parents try to be the kids "friend". I've seen this just with my SO's family.

Kids are not equals to parents, and I do agree with that statement.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Thats good.... respect is a biggie! My son`s friend has respect, but he has gotton "comfortable" here. Too much perhaps...he will open the refrig. and get himself a drink, or help himself to our cupboards.
I don`t mind, if he is staying the night, but when he just comes down to play for the day...another story.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
As a kid, if I'd have done that a heat seeking guided missle backhand from my dad would have found the side of my face in .2 seconds. And I can assure you, my manners would have dramatically improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships