Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

318 posts, read 821,371 times

Advertisements

Those body builder types remind me of ninja turtles where their heads are too small for their neck/body, it's comical. Personal trainers have a nice body though. Toned lean bodies look very nice. When they're way huge, it looks like they're compensating for something they lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 AM

82 posts, read 235,825 times
I don't like the body builder type. I work out at the gym regularly and see these guys all the time and find it very unattractive. I like a guy that is in good shape with muscle definition but not bulk. A guy looks funny when he can't put his arms down at his sides due to the size of his arms.

Plus I've noticed that a lot of the guys at my gym that are bulky in upper body have skinny legs. I notice they don't give the same attention to the lower body which makes they look freaky.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,760,617 times
Being that ripped, to me, indicates an obsession with his appearance and body. It goes beyond an interest in health and physical fitness ... spending that kind of time and money on your body is just narcissistic to me. It's a turn off. I know no guy with 3% body fat is going to give me the time of day anyway.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,253,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
B. Believe it or not a large percentage are.....GAY!
I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Being that ripped, to me, indicates an obsession with his appearance and body. It goes beyond an interest in health and physical fitness ... spending that kind of time and money on your body is just narcissistic to me. It's a turn off.
Exactly.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM

733 posts, read 1,930,357 times
yeah, add me to the list of " I don't's"

I love a man in shape, but lets not over do it......

Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,089,404 times
When I was doing a beach antique show in Florida I had a huge stack(400+) of 1930's body building magazines. Which were valuable in their own right for their age and rarity, but I discovered were even more popular because back in the 1930's what magazines did gay men have to look at, except these? These, it turned out were their early playboys. So I had couple after couple showing up and looking through them and many of them were like Arnold Swatzenegger huge, with effeminant voices and speech! Which I thought was amusing. Their knowledge of who the people were in the mags was astounding! But to them, these were their Marilon Monroes, and Betty Pages.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,383,788 times
I don't know any gay ones but I'm sure some are, one of my female friends has an uncle that was Mr. America and made his living in the field, her dad manufactured weight belts and other things but most of my friends I work out with just do it to stay in shape or are involved with martial arts. My middle son is now into it and goes at least 4 times a week and its broadened his shoulders out quite a bit but at 6' 4" it looks good on him.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,660,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindlayMom View Post
My personal opinion about male bodybuilders is this:
They are doing this to impress other men and not
women. I have spoken to many women about
male bodybuilders and the overall consensus is that
women don't like the over exaggerated muscles.
It's gross. Men, however, love to look at the muscles
that other men have. Gentlemen....don't go crazy
with the muscles! Lean and having a 6 pack is one
thing, but the nasty bulging vein popping stuff is nasty.
Yuk.
Speaking as a guy, I'll be the first to admit that so much of what guys do is because they feel they're in competition with other guys. Most guys that workout do so, not for health reasons, but because they think they have to be bigger and stronger than other men to impress women. Men can be just as insecure about their looks as women. As for the bodybuilders, they've taken it a whole new level where it's no longer about impressing women, but impressing other men. This is no different than how a lot of women are. The way they obsess over their looks, their clothes, etc. After a while, you get the impression they're doing it to impress other women. The preoccupation with looks is making it a lot harder in general though. It used to be that men were the shallow ones. Now women are becoming just as shallow, expecting a man to be lean and have a 6-pack. That requires a lot of hard work, discipline and patience. While women are under a lot of pressure to stay thin and youthful looking, men are under just as much pressure nowadays. It's no wonder you have some you live in the gym, spending money on protein powder trying to bulk up. Just as men aren't worth starving yourself thin, women aren't worth lifting weights for hours a day and eating disgusting protein supplements or taking steroids. As for the men who compare themselves to other men, grow up. You will always find someone better looking, taller, more muscular, leaner or who makes more money than you do.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,211,118 times
My answer to the question takes another viewpoint.....Do I want a man that spends all that time at the gym with other guys, or do I want a man that wants to stay home and play with me? When the day comes that he prefers the guys to me, I'll pack his bags and show his the door.

That said, my husband plays golf twice a week with his friends. He gets exercise, fresh air and conversations with men with all sorts of body types, that have all sorts of goals. I can't supply that, so I think it's great. Working up a sweat in a gym is something a little different with different results. There seems to be only one purpose.....bigger and better muscle tone.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:00 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,383,788 times
This is my friends uncle when he won Mr America. He was an early one before they became like my wife called freakish.

Hes the one in the middle
Attached Thumbnails
Surprised by a comment my wife made about weight lifters.-image012sm.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships