Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,944,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
RCM, I as your wife, am not attracted to what I (and everyone else) like to call "meatheads". Ever see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they're on the elevator and those huge monsters are swaying back and forth the music? Thats what they remind me of. Huge muscles, little head. Of course, its sexy to have a fit and tone body, but when you've got muscles upon muscles, it just doesn't cut it. I have a friend named Jared that lifts before work, during lunch, and after work, and its just ridiculous. Tocar and Razor all over the place.

I'm obviously just speaking for me though...
No, you can speak for me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,043,294 times
Also have you noticed the guys who have the massively built shoulders and ultra beefy arms but their beer belly is drooping over their shorts....and their legs are like twigs ....yuck .... weird

I agree with you. Balance is important. I'm lucky because I only have to work out certain parts of my body to create perfect balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjacket View Post
I don't like the body builder type. I work out at the gym regularly and see these guys all the time and find it very unattractive. I like a guy that is in good shape with muscle definition but not bulk. A guy looks funny when he can't put his arms down at his sides due to the size of his arms.

Plus I've noticed that a lot of the guys at my gym that are bulky in upper body have skinny legs. I notice they don't give the same attention to the lower body which makes they look freaky.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,043,294 times
Impressing the guys? What is he 14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My son is a bodybuilder and when he's getting ready for a competition he is not interested in impressing the ladies, at that stage it's all about impressing the other guys, because it is a guy thing.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 PM

37,778 posts, read 46,279,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I stay in decent shape and stay at my fighting weight. But I know guys who really get wrapped up in that stuff, working out a couple of hours a day. I always wonder, "My God, how do you make the time for it?" Of course, they probably think the same thing about my writing and sailing.
Believe me, it's WAY more than than that!! Yep...all a matter of priorities.

8,518 posts, read 15,675,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Really? I did not know that...glad my husband is not into weightlifting...
There are plenty of reasons to lift weights that have nothing to do with bodybuilding or even changing your appearance. Weight lifting should be part of any exercise routine along with cardio. It strengthens your heart, your bones, keeps you from losing muscle which we all do as we age, it helps your immune system, your skin, improves flexibility, and so many other benefits I'm leaving out. Bodybuilders have given weight lifting a bad image cause now everyone thinks you just lift weights and you'll bulk up. Sorry, but it's not that simple. Tell your husband to lift weights, if for no other reason than to improve his health.

And btw, if men and women are attracted to people who are physically fit, but not overly muscular, it's because our brains are conditioned to look for signs of health. A guy who lifts weights and does cardio will probably look healthier than the guy who just does cardio.

11,420 posts, read 24,537,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
I think that as long as a man keeps himself fit for health reasons and to boost his confidence a bit, he's as good for me as well as he's attractive.

But when a guy starts lookn' like The Hulk....

ah, no.
I agree with this.

A man has every right to work on his physique, both for himself and for anyone who looks his way. It's the same as women who dye their hair, put on make up, get their nails done, etc. Most of us do this to some degree.

A little bit of this is just fine. It's just when you start looking like a cartoon character that it get's unattractive.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My answer to the question takes another viewpoint.....Do I want a man that spends all that time at the gym with other guys, or do I want a man that wants to stay home and play with me? When the day comes that he prefers the guys to me, I'll pack his bags and show his the door.
For me, spending time with ME in the gym would be just dandy!!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,557,442 times
Me, too, Chessie!

And I'll take a body building 'freak' over all the overweight slobby looking guys I see everywhere. But I agree with most of the posts. Muscular/defined without grotesque 'anatomy lesson' looks are tops with me.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Weight Lifters and body builders are two totally separate animals. I consider myself a weight lifter but am in no way a body builder.
Exactly. BIG difference in the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I respect the hard work and discipline that goes into a bodybuilder's physique.
I absolutely do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Working up a sweat in a gym is something a little different with different results. There seems to be only one purpose.....bigger and better muscle tone.
Wrongo there. Working up a sweat, in a gym, or out, is VERY good for you. It's called cardiovascular fitness. Everyone should work up a sweat for about 30 minutes a day.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,349,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed, doesn't float my boat AT ALL, yuck. Men in shape, yes. Bodybuilders, no way.
I agree. I don't want someone who's all flabby, but the bulging muscles gross me out almost as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships