Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times

Advertisements

When describing yourself or another person, whether it's online or in the real world, people like to use code words, especially when it comes to size. The "curvy" thread made me think of this because it isn't just that word that people use. For example, someone might say a person has a few extra pounds when, in reality, they're more like 20 or 30 pounds overweight. I'm not sure what's worse though. Deliberately misrepresenting what you or someone else is or just being in denial of what you or that other person is.

So what do the following terms mean or how should they be interpretted?

Slim
Average
A few extra pounds
Athletic
Curvy
Voluptuous
Ample

Also, if people know they're lying, why do they bother when they're going to get caught? I mean if a woman I met online said she was average and then I met her and she was overweight, the thing that would bother me the most wouldn't be her weight, but the fact that I was mislead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
Since I am male.......I'd think this of how females would represent themselves...we've been over the curvy thing...men don't think curves=fat, while some/most women do.

Slim.......thin, stick like....beanpole
Average......not toned, but no muffin top, no real fat, just not solid
A few extra pounds.......5-10lbs overweight, carried in stomach area, arms, and/or thighs
Athletic........toned....flat stomach, 2-6pack, firm arms, toned thighs and calves
Curvy.........overweight by like 10-20lbs...curves around her breasts to her waist, then wide hips where extra weight is hanging out......I'd need pics to decide whether or not shr was okay
Voluptuous.........fat..next
Ample........round, doesn't ever get off couch..next

As far as what I am......I usually say I am a few extra pounds, while in reality I guess I am more than a few extra, but I don't look fat...more stocky. I am
6' and 215-220, but while in shape I could be 200, or if skinny no muscle 175...so I don't go so much by a number, but the cartegory because I can't say I am curvy or voluptuous, although some of those stupid BMI type charts say I am obese..lol.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:55 PM

355 posts, read 814,755 times
Denny are you trying to find a date via the internet?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Also, if people know they're lying, why do they bother when they're going to get caught? I mean if a woman I met online said she was average and then I met her and she was overweight, the thing that would bother me the most wouldn't be her weight, but the fact that I was mislead.
Well, as we were just convinced on that huge thread, people's interpretation of these words varies widely, so perhaps these descriptions are not meant to be misleading.

Men are known to have a pretty darn healthy self-esteem in this department, so in their cases I'm guessing the truth looks like this:

Moderator cut: image removed

Women are more realistic and self-critiquing, so I suppose this would be the truth in their cases:

http://images.inmagine.com/168nwm/di.../dvs012139.jpg

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

Men are known to have a pretty darn healthy self-esteem in this department,

Women are more realistic and self-critiquing,
Agreed! I have found this to be the case more often than not.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
Denny are you trying to find a date via the internet?
Not these days. But I've visited a couple sites and noticed these terms and it makes me laugh cause I see how far off some people are in describing themselves. I mean I'm 5'8" and around 155 pounds, wear a size 30 pant and even though I workout daily, I would never describe myself as athletic. And yet, I see women who are more than just a few pounds overweight describing themselves as that or even average!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not these days. But I've visited a couple sites and noticed these terms and it makes me laugh cause I see how far off some people are in describing themselves. I mean I'm 5'8" and around 155 pounds, wear a size 30 pant and even though I workout daily, I would never describe myself as athletic. And yet, I see women who are more than just a few pounds overweight describing themselves as that or even average!
Yeah, I can't believe how some people describe themselves. It's as though they are completely delusional ... in which case, we don't want to date them, do we?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
I look more for other code words in the ad that are HUGE red flags

Looking for man that loves kids= I want to be popping out a baby in 10 months, or I have 3 kids that you will find out about after I have sucked you in to my vortex

I can stay in or go out= Who can't?

I love all kinds of music= I love crappy music, like Nickelback, Hinder, Country Pop, American Idol. I know I said I love all kinds of music, but I hate rap, country, metal, techno, electronica, reggae, folk, hard rock, light rock, classic rock...but I love all kinds

Looking for a man with a job and a car= made lots of poor choices before, and probably is codependant

Not sure what I am looking for= If you have a big wallet or a bigger "sausage", she will be interested.

Looking for someone who can "keep it real"= been lied to a lot and will be up your ass and making accusations every minute

I want someone who will love me for me= obese, obnoxious, ogreish, drug abuser, alcoholic, or any or all of these.

Not just looking for sex= looking for sex, put out on second date, or the first date with two bottles of wine.

I love to go out to eat= can't cook

I enjoy fine dining, antique shopping, weekend trips, escapades, etc= loves to spend your money for you

Looking for someone who likes to cuddle= very clingy, will be up your ass every second.

Looking for someone who understands me= I am crazy, or have very weird views on life

Not seeking a sugar daddy= Looking for a Sugar Daddy

I don't care how much money you have= it is about how much money you have.

Guy's love my curves/call me cute/say i'm pretty/say I have amazing eyes= I haven't figured out that guys will say anything to get me in to bed, even if I am fat, gross, or smelly.

I love guys that smell good= makes my smell less noticeable

Looking for someone that likes to party/can keep up= I use drugs/like to get smashed 5 times a week/one bender away from going on Intervention

Not looking for anyone that is abusive= probably has a crazy ex-husband or boyfriend that may attempt to kill you

Don't be married= I am, only one of us should be

I travel on business a lot= I probably have a girl in every city, including my wife in this one, and my step-family in Omaha

I could go on.....

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
Yeah, I can't believe how some people describe themselves. It's as though they are completely delusional ... in which case, we don't want to date them, do we?
I don't think they're delusional. I just think they're lying. But what's the point when you're gonna get found out sooner or later?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think they're delusional. I just think they're lying. But what's the point when you're gonna get found out sooner or later?
I actually think they are delusional.

But regardless as to what the reasons are, if they're going to lie right from the get go, you're absolutely right, Denny. What's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships