Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,360,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
You know, this forum makes me realize that I am hopelessly naive. Why would someone lie about their appearance when they are going to meet the person they are lying to eventually? I don't get it.
My only guess is crash diet right after catching the fish. As far non-weight-related things… no clue…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,095,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When describing yourself or another person, whether it's online or in the real world, people like to use code words, especially when it comes to size. The "curvy" thread made me think of this because it isn't just that word that people use. For example, someone might say a person has a few extra pounds when, in reality, they're more like 20 or 30 pounds overweight. I'm not sure what's worse though. Deliberately misrepresenting what you or someone else is or just being in denial of what you or that other person is.

So what do the following terms mean or how should they be interpretted?

Also, if people know they're lying, why do they bother when they're going to get caught? I mean if a woman I met online said she was average and then I met her and she was overweight, the thing that would bother me the most wouldn't be her weight, but the fact that I was mislead.
Once again my theory that supermodels don't hang out on the net looking for dates tempers this...

Unless they are willing to put a photo of themselves holding todays headline in their hand, you'll get the above descriptions...

Slim= age factored 18-25 actually means slim. 25-35 compaired to the gals they hang out with, of course they could be hanging out with fry cooks at macdonalds! 35-45..possibly athetic, anemic, heavy non beer drinker, or just plain lying. Also, if indeed pretty and slim..why on net?

A few extra pounds usually prefaced by "could use to lose" Which is most womans belief, anyway. So you could be dealing with anything from the 115pd range to the 300 pd range.

Athletic... Can't find guys at the gym? The hiking places? Hmmmmm

Curvy ... Monroe (a size 16 btw) was curvy.

Voluptuous...
Big gals favorite choice of words!

Ample ...
probably the most honest of the bunch.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,309,859 times
I'm curvy and always have been. I used to curve in at the waist; now I curve out. I used to have a 6-pack; now I have a keg.

I knew I was fat when I sucked in my stomach and it was still sticking out.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,360,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm curvy and always have been. I used to curve in at the waist; now I curve out. I used to have a 6-pack; now I have a keg.

LMAO! Don't be so harsh on yourself! Those outer curves are affectionately called "love handles," you know that!

You remind me of a couple of jokes:

A woman is saying her husband's upper body is shaped like a bucket and her girlfriend's ears perk up, but then she adds - only that the bucket is upside down!

I have a body of a god - too bad it's Buddha!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 PM

13,635 posts, read 21,457,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I wish..

I was new in town, she took me to this rock and roll bar that was kind of cool. Not only was she not attractive, she

A. kept saying "I'm so rad/I'm so awesome/I'm so cool....so many times in fact, that I actually said to her.. "You think you are cooler that you really are!"

B. Brought me without telling me she was going to be meeting about 10 of her friends there...which was embarrassing...even more so because I thought one of her friends was interested..but I couldn't really say anything..

C. Had one friend who, for about 10 minutes, proceeded to introduce herself and then go into explicit detail about an orgy she was involved in earlier in the week.

D. Talked on her cell the whole way to the bar, texted the whole time we were there, and talked on the way back, mostly about me, as I was sitting there.."Oh. he's cuteeee" "He didn't kill me, I am fine", "I think we are going to go make out", or showing me the texts back and forth between her and her friends about how she was going to hook up with me, how she thought I was cute, etc...

E. Invited me in, I said I had to get up early the next day.. on my way home proceeds to text me and tell me how much she wanted to sleep with me and that she was willing to come over to my place (about 30 mins away) and do whatever I wanted...

F. After I ignored her the next day and just blew her off... proceeded to call several times (leaving nasty voicemails), text message me for two weeks, send me multiple myspace messages with progressing hostility and aggression, even after I let her know that I wasn't interested..

So, yeah, suffice to say..not a good experience...
By the time I got to D that would have been the killer for me,but then E with do whatever I wanted might have made me forget A THRU D but then F just would have not been cool.LOL great story though,"I think we are going to make out" haha!Refering back to E that would have been the least of it....but man,what a annoying chick.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,164,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I love all kinds of music= I love crappy music, like Nickelback, Hinder, Country Pop, American Idol. I know I said I love all kinds of music, but I hate rap, country, metal, techno, electronica, reggae, folk, hard rock, light rock, classic rock...but I love all kinds
haha....dead on!

----

Fat guys always say they are average....okay, maybe in the US that is the norm, sadly, but I think in most people's minds, "average" means the middle ground between skinny and fat.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,052,518 times
Quote:
So what do the following terms mean or how should they be interpretted?
Slim=looks like a wire hanger draped in clothes
Average="Don't get the looks I used to but I used to be hot"
A few extra pounds="My thighs chafe from rubbing together when I walk but I carry ointment with me at all times should I get lucky unexpectedly"
Athletic=jacked on crack
Curvy=likes to show off muffin top
Voluptuous=size 14 squeezed into a size 12-don't ask her to be seated on a date
Ample=thinks butter and cheese cake are part of the main food group

Just kidding. I've seen a lot of complaints about people lying about their looks only to meet the person they lied to in person. I often wonder if they're hoping the person will decide it doesn't matter by the time they meet b'c they were so great online or they're just in denial.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,877,195 times
Default Logic is no Way to Analyze This

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
You know, this forum makes me realize that I am hopelessly naive. Why would someone lie about their appearance when they are going to meet the person they are lying to eventually? I don't get it.
Some women are experts at making it difficult to break it off. Of course, this doesn't work for desirable alpha men who are a$$holes (very few aren't) but they've given up trying for those types, long ago. Besides, such men would never be on a dating site, anyway.

Decent guys can be manipulated for a time and they hope that something will click. Such men are loath to admit they were attracted to her "looks" so they won't make an issue about being lied to. Hey, any chance is better than none!

I'll admit, while I've had plenty of experience with the first situation, I have no interest in dating sites so my knowledge of the second is from discussing this with men I know who've had this experience. Not that uncommon but they just have to realize that if they were as dishonest, women would quickly show them the door.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 AM

591 posts, read 1,418,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This might depend upon where you live and the level of competition. In my experience, women are every bit as concerned about appearance as men. Then they have a long list of other things that they want, too.

Unfortunately for them, they are usually fishing in the wrong pond, from the get go. However, every now and then, somebody lands a prime specimen and they are re-energized in their quixotic search.
Don't get me wrong I'd have to be with someone that was appealing to my eyes as well. To be honest when I was 30 and under and could turn heads everyplace I went I would still over look the best looking guy in the place for the simple fact that they usually had all the looks but little personality.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,691,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I had an hour glass figure, ahh now it's about an hour and a half!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships