Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times

Advertisements

Has your "gut" feeling ever been right when you have thought you are being cheated on? You know, the kind where you have no concrete proof but you know something's not right. Should you trust your feelings and confront someone or basically wait until you catch them in the act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Has your "gut" feeling ever been right when you have thought you are being cheated on? You know, the kind where you have no concrete proof but you know something's not right. Should you trust your feelings and confront someone or basically wait until you catch them in the act?
Do you consider keeping something like this secret good for your relationship?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM

410 posts, read 515,267 times
What is wrong with asking that question to your mate?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Its not really a secret. When I think something is up, I question. Unfortunately, not having proof makes it very easy for the other person to deny. I guess my question really is if most people's "gut" feelings are reliable and if others have gone through this and trusted those feelings because they actually were right?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
You could always tell your partner that you have this weird feeling and want to know if there's anything you need to know about. The problem with that is that once you let your partner know that you don't trust them, the relationship might as well be over.

So, it's a tough call. How do you think he/she would react if they were innocent?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
My gut feeling is that nobody has ever cheated on me, but I've had gut feelings about lots of other things. Sometimes my gut was wrong; sometimes it was right. Usually the best reaction from a gut feeling is to listen to it but don't trust it.

In your case, I agree with others: Ask.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

I did ask. Got a very monotone answer. "I went to the bar, I was not with anyone." That was it. No elaboration, no explanation on where he was all night. This doesn't happen often, but it has happened before. If you're not home, then where the h e ll are you? I know he's not having an "affair" but maybe a drunken encounter with someone when he's out.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I've ignored mine in various situations and found I was right.

I think another thing to consider is your level of security. If you're a generally untrusting person, those red flags will pop up all over the place no matter how faithful he is. You should be able to talk about it, but someone who is cheating is not likely to admit it. Tough call.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've ignored mine in various situations and found I was right.

I think another thing to consider is your level of security. If you're a generally untrusting person, those red flags will pop up all over the place no matter how faithful he is. You should be able to talk about it, but someone who is cheating is not likely to admit it. Tough call.
That's the problem, I know he would never admit. That's where the gut feeling comes in. I have caught him in lies in the past and he still will deny he did anything. Not lies about cheating, but other things. I think at this point, I'm feeling I have no trust in him. For both of us, it would probably be wise to get out of the relationship (not married, but living together for 12 years). I can't keep always worrying about what he's doing and making myself a paranoid wreck.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
It will be hard to do, but you're probably doing the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships