Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a new member here, and mainly just in the hope that I'll find some good advice.

I have been friends with this girl for over 12 years now, and we've been all but inseparable. She made sure I knew what my assignments were all through high school while I slept in class, and I was there for her to cry to after her latest boyfriend did her wrong. We have always had a good thing going.

Back in September(2008), I moved down south. It was kind of a sudden move. I went over to her apartment, to tell her about it. She tried to pretend it didn't bother her. I could tell it did, though. You tend to pick up on the subtleties after 12 years. Well, I was between a rock and a hard place. I had been slacking since high school and I needed to get something going in my life, so I moved, knowing she wouldn't have any problem dealing.

I talked to her several times a week on the phone, for the first month I was gone. We started talking less and less, and arguing more and more. Well, when we were close to one another, it wasn't uncommon for us to argue. All of our friends always asked us when we were going to get hitched, because we argued so much like a married couple.

Finally, one night, she called me. It was about 2 A.M.. I was as patient as I could be, even though she woke me up. She had been crying, I knew immediately, and I started getting dressed, knowing that she'd obviously gotten hurt by some jerk again, and I was right. So I thought, anyway. That's how she played it out.

I drove 2 and a half hours up North to come, make her hot tea, and sit with her, and let her cry to me. When I got there at about 5:30 that morning, and she was still up, just as I suspected she would be. She wasn't crying anymore, though. She was oddly calm and acted far less eccentric than usual. We sat and talked a while, and finally she said something that hit me harder than anything I'd ever experienced. She told me she loves me.

I forced a laugh and told her to get real, even though I knew she was being real with me. I could tell, also, that my reaction really hurt her a lot. I immediately felt awful, and then she told me that I had been ignoring her for at least 8 years now. I told her that 8 years ago we were only 12, neither of us knew what love was then, and we can't know what it is now, either.

We didn't stop talking, after I got back on campus I kept keeping in touch over the phone. For the next few months, though, all I could think about was her. I started questioning myself. I started to wonder if perhaps I was in love with her. Perhaps I had been ignoring it all this time, but I quelled the feeling everytime by saying that I don't even know what real love is.

I realise, though, that she is all I think about. When I'm near her, it's like I am experiencing one of the most euphoric highs... But, since I've moved away, I ache and yearn to get back to her, like I can't live my life without her. Am I in love with my best friend?

I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcomed. I know she still feels the same about me, it's just a matter of whether I feel it for her.

P.S. I'm also in the Navy now, so relationships are difficult. Hopefully that'll help develop better advice for my situation, if anyone's interested in replying.

Last edited by GD Joe Rogan; 02-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Left a major piece of the puzzle out, I figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
It sounds like you are to me. Euphoric high + high regard usually = love in my book.

Are you old enough to know what love is? How old are you--22 or so? Yeah, you're old enough to figure it out. Well, stop teasing her and telling her she's not old enough, b/c women usually know these things. And talk to her sweetly and tell me when I can come to the wedding.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
It sure sounds to me like you're in love with her, but being in love can mean many different things. There are different levels/kinds of love.

Just be honest with her about your feelings as you've described them here. There's no need to jump into anything non-reversible at this point.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
Sounds like you are. And you're not too young to know what love is.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
Yea you probably like her but she has already put you in the, "gay friend" category. So that means she will never bang you, ever. She has too much emotional investment in you. If she were ever to bang you and then move on, it would kill you emotionally. She knows this.

Also for the love of god, you've known this girl for 12 years??????? Can't you get out of the house and talk to other chicks for a change? My god how many girls go to your school? 12,000??? At least.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Yea you probably like her but she has already put you in the, "gay friend" category. So that means she will never bang you, ever. She has too much emotional investment in you. If she were ever to bang you and then move on, it would kill you emotionally. She knows this.

Also for the love of god, you've known this girl for 12 years??????? Can't you get out of the house and talk to other chicks for a change? My god how many girls go to your school? 12,000??? At least.
Good grief. Why do I get the feeling you're some 25 year old geek living in his parent's basement?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,090 times
I think you know if you're in love. First, stop over-analyzing the situation and just think about how you feel. Then start looking at the facts to decide if you want to pursue a romantic relationship with her. I think a good friendship is an excellent foundation for a relationship....who doesn't want their SO to be their best friend? The usual hurdle is physical attraction, but you didn't mention that, so I say go for it.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Good grief. Why do I get the feeling you're some 25 year old geek living in his parent's basement?
You're close...I believe he's actually 21

Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
I think you are in love in with her. It just happened so subtlely that you didn't notice. My God you got up at 2am and drove for 2 1/2 hours because you thought she was hurting. That's love.

Go grab your girl and plan your happily ever after. btw, the Navy loves families. (My cousin did 20 years in the Navy and raised his family on the base)

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,429 times
Ditto CESpeed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships