Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,703,364 times

Advertisements

This is somewhat of a convoluted question, but it's been a topic I've been pondering for quite some time.

Do you support your spouse's passion/ goal in life, even if it means something that you cannot be a part of (either due to your own reasonings, or because you are not a member of the entity in which he/she is involved in)? I mean, "ideally", you would support your spouse's passion no matter what, right?

However, I've seen married couples that have been together for 20+ years that not only NOT give a rats' a$$ about what the spouse is really into in his/ her life, but the "non chalant" spouse would also choose to "not hear about it". This negativity in a marriage... how "common" is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,442 times
it's probably very common considering the rate of divorce.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
The wife's passion is her huge wish to learn to speak Spanish so she could have a conversation with my mom about me.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,585,255 times
My wifes passion in her life appears to be her work. That is where all her energy goes. There isn't much left after that. Do I support it, yes. But it would be nice if there were some left to spread around.

Last edited by dfour; 04-02-2009 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
Quote:
Do you support your spouse's passion/ goal in life
Absolutely.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms0511 View Post
Do you support your spouse's passion/ goal in life, even if it means something that you cannot be a part of (either due to your own reasonings, or because you are not a member of the entity in which he/she is involved in)?
Absolutely. We both have several passions/goals in our lives. Some we share, others we support.

We like the same cars and most of the same motorsports. We have autocrossed together. He's done some rallies and supermotard events as a driver/rider and I've been his support team, hauling around the tools, extra parts and tanks of gas. His new love is his dirt bike, I support his interest but have no desire to ride one. He is supportive of my love for my antique collecting and my dogs.
Quote:
I mean, "ideally", you would support your spouse's passion no matter what, right?
Well if I didn't support his passions, it would probably mean that I was NOT totally in love with him. I reserve the right to disagree with his passions and opinions. However, part of choosing the right lifemate is finding someone that is on the same wavelength. Not being on the same wavelength is a sure recipe for a divorce later on.

If I had a crush on a man just because he was hot looking, but his brain and mine weren't on the same wavelength, I would not get involved with him, not even if he was crushing on me back.
Quote:
However, I've seen married couples that have been together for 20+ years that not only NOT give a rats' a$$ about what the spouse is really into in his/ her life, but the "non chalant" spouse would also choose to "not hear about it". This negativity in a marriage... how "common" is it?
I think this scenario is very common. Some couple rationalize that there is "guy stuff" and "girl stuff", and never the twain shall meet. Having an initial sexual attraction in the beginning, marrying, then producing kids together and eventually drifting apart as they get older seems to be acceptable for many couples, but that sounds like a hideous life to me. Like Ralph Kramden and his wife Alice in the Honeymooners tv show, or Archie Bunker and his wife Edith. Ewww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships