Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a ever increasing number of seemingly normal looking and acting people approach me on the street asking for money. I think much of it has to do with the economy and the lack of social programs available to many people who do not have children or wage credits for unemployment insurance.

I am always a sucker for hard luck stories and will talk to people who seem to be sincere and really down on their luck. If they seem dangerous or crazy I will move on quickly.

Recently though I was walking down the street and a man approached me who appeared like he was a regular guy. He asked if I had a few extra bucks to help him eat. I told him that I was interested in what he had to say and would pay him even more if he could give me a convincing story on why he needed to beg for his money, instead of get cash the old fashioned way- work.

He agreed and gave me an incredible story of being in the construction industry and making good money during the boom years but now just can not find a job because most of the good jobs are taken by illegal aliens (undocumented for the PC crowd). He told me a long story about how he applies everywhere but just can not find work.

I gave him $20 for his story and wished him luck. My wife thinks I am crazy for attempting a friendly relationship with the street beggars. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 47,134 times
From what I've read, people with good jobs ($40k+ / yr) actually dress up as homeless people on the weekends and beg for money. More surprisingly, they discovered that you can make an extra $10k a year from a few hours a weekend.

Because of this, I will rarely strike conversation with a homeless person. They can seem cool, then the second you pull your wallet, they pull a knife.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
The only word exchange I have with beggers is: "I don't have any change".

Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
What he ^^ said.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
The only homeless beggars we used to have in our town were drunks wanting enough to buy a bottle of booze and that was it. You 'knew' thats all they wanted and finally the City stopped them from begging by putting them in jail. They eventually moved away and I havent seen any pan-handlers unless I go to Pittsburgh along the highways and biways.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I have noticed a ever increasing number of seemingly normal looking and acting people approach me on the street asking for money. I think much of it has to do with the economy and the lack of social programs available to many people who do not have children or wage credits for unemployment insurance.

I am always a sucker for hard luck stories and will talk to people who seem to be sincere and really down on their luck. If they seem dangerous or crazy I will move on quickly.

Recently though I was walking down the street and a man approached me who appeared like he was a regular guy. He asked if I had a few extra bucks to help him eat. I told him that I was interested in what he had to say and would pay him even more if he could give me a convincing story on why he needed to beg for his money, instead of get cash the old fashioned way- work.

He agreed and gave me an incredible story of being in the construction industry and making good money during the boom years but now just can not find a job because most of the good jobs are taken by illegal aliens (undocumented for the PC crowd). He told me a long story about how he applies everywhere but just can not find work.

I gave him $20 for his story and wished him luck. My wife thinks I am crazy for attempting a friendly relationship with the street beggars. How about you?
Why are you crazy for doing that? I mean, if only more people had your attitude and saw past the stigma of being a "bum" (I hate that word anyway), perhaps these people wouldn't feel so lost and so cast away by society. Most people don't even want to acknowledge that the homeless exist.

Homelessness is not a life that I'd wish on anyone. Many of these people are mentally ill, veterans or people who are just down on their luck having lost everything, and don't have the mental strength to haul themselves out of it. Unfortunately, many of these people have nowhere to go -- charities can only do so much.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 AM

412 posts, read 939,456 times
One time I talked to a normal looking homeless lady (I didn't ask about her situation, we were just chatting about the weather, etc.). She turned out to be crazy, so I don't do that anymore.

I also don't give money to people begging on the street. They're annoying. They'll interrupt people who are talking to each other. They shake their cup of coins loudly. I hate that.

I also hate that some of the "homeless" aren't really homeless, and those that are will probably spend the money on drugs and alcohol.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM

412 posts, read 939,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Why are you crazy for doing that? I mean, if only more people had your attitude and saw past the stigma of being a "bum" (I hate that word anyway), perhaps these people wouldn't feel so lost and so cast away by society. Most people don't even want to acknowledge that the homeless exist.

Homelessness is not a life that I'd wish on anyone. Many of these people are mentally ill, veterans or people who are just down on their luck having lost everything, and don't have the mental strength to haul themselves out of it. Unfortunately, many of these people have nowhere to go -- charities can only do so much.
Even though I won't give money to people begging on the street, I don't pretend they don't exist. I would rather donate to charities, though.

One thing that I think about a lot when I see homeless is people is the hopelessness of the situation. How do you get job if you're homeless? You're clothes are dirty, you don't get to shower often so you smell, you don't have an address to put on a job application, etc. They're are organizations that will help these people, but how do they find out about these organizations? It's sad.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Even though I won't give money to people begging on the street, I don't pretend they don't exist. I would rather donate to charities, though.

One thing that I think about a lot when I see homeless is people is the hopelessness of the situation. How do you get job if you're homeless? You're clothes are dirty, you don't get to shower often so you smell, you don't have an address to put on a job application, etc. They're are organizations that will help these people, but how do they find out about these organizations? It's sad.
Agreed...

It's easy to tell them to just "get a job", but as you said, how do you go about that when you have no fixed address, you have only one set of dirty clothes and haven't showered for god-knows how long?

There is no easy solution to homelessness. There will always be homeless people. I do however wish that there was more in the way of support for these people, programs to treat them for mental illness, drug/alcohol addiction. Unfortunately, the problem will never go away.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't usually talk to them, no, other than "you're welcome" or something inane like "good luck." It feels so stupid to say something like "have a nice day" or "see you later," but it's hard to find words. I haven't lived in places that had a lot of homeless people, so it's hard for me to know what to say. I just try to be human and react like I do with any stranger. Brief eye contact, limited conversation. I am not gregarious in unsafe conditions.

For people who don't like to hand out money, which is perfectly understandable, you might find out where someone in your area could get a meal and somewhere to sleep. That way, if someone asks you, you can at least point them in the right direction. They might already know, but maybe not.

I'm joining our local Jaycees, which are very active around here. A couple people I know belong, and one of the organizations they support is the local food pantry. I donate food there, and I think I should donate some time too. That way I am helping in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships