Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 12:05 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,549,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
But don't get yourself upset, lady.
Lady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is true. Us non-materialistic, laid-back girls who dress well and like sports do not have a chance.

I agree. I think men think they are getting something better when they go after a self-absorbed, selfish type. Oh, she must be better because she thinks she is better!!

Jeesh..

Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Only I haven't met one man who wants a submissive woman. They seem to like the bossy types who abuse their wallets.
You met one now!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
I doubt he liked the "take-charge attitude [translation: opinionated self centered demanding], and short fuse". He just put up with it because the sex was interesting.. until the sex and/or the relationship got routine/boring (or sex was withheld). Once marriage happens and sex isn't "withheld", then the annoying habits become center-stage, though some couples use this as an excuse to "never get married" when it's the annoying habits which should get resolved.

Guys I see all around are super wimpy cause they're so beat down ("political correctness" feminazism and religious "morality"), they don't even know how to ask a chick for her phone number without "coming on too strong". Was (unfortunately) listening to a group of guys complain about this at a bbq this weekend.. in fact a couple of the guys admitted it was their girlfriend who "tackled them" first (demanded they go out together, and made out with them the first time, and jumped their bones at night the first time) however that's only because these guys were super-unconfident in what they should do or how they should do it or when they should do it (by the way - they were ~25 y/o firefighters, in great shape and good looking). One guy said he kept going over and over and over in his mind for two entire weeks how to simply ask the girl for her phone number, trying to figure out how to "set up" the right time (groan). Lame, lame, lame. And it's funny, I hear a common female daydream involves having a firefighter; I wonder if that daydream includes massive hesistation on his side & running out of patience so finally demanding he get physical on her side.

Look at all of the TV shows in the past 20 years that demeaned men. TV fathers are made to look like bumbling fools, not heads of the household. Married men are mocked, ridiculed, while the woman always comes off as the wise guy.
Full House, Everybody Hates Raymond, you name it.
Even ER, where the male doctors are emotional wrecks, and the women doctors are the steely saviors.

It all starts with them as kids, when they let girls on the boys' baseball teams and more.
The girls can go into the boys' locker rooms, but if a boy stepped foot in a girls' locker room, he would be arrested.

Men can't have anything of their own anymore, or it's discrimination. Heck, women can...and we should have our differences. The more everyone wants men to be like women, and vice versa, the worse it is getting.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
Guys I see all around are super wimpy cause they're so beat down ("political correctness" feminazism and religious "morality"), they don't even know how to ask a chick for her phone number without "coming on too strong". Was (unfortunately) listening to a group of guys complain about this at a bbq this weekend.. in fact a couple of the guys admitted it was their girlfriend who "tackled them" first (demanded they go out together, and made out with them the first time, and jumped their bones at night the first time) however that's only because these guys were super-unconfident in what they should do or how they should do it or when they should do it (by the way - they were ~25 y/o firefighters, in great shape and good looking). One guy said he kept going over and over and over in his mind for two entire weeks how to simply ask the girl for her phone number, trying to figure out how to "set up" the right time (groan). Lame, lame, lame.
It's funny how true this is. Guys like this really really need to take up dancing. Seriously. You can just watch the guys' facial expressions in beginning class when they lead the girls. It's almost like they feel like they have to ask the girl for permission to lead her every step along the way. It's almost like they are asking, "is it okay if I ask you if you would please like to do a turn now? Okay, would it be alright if I ask you to do a cross body lead now?" You can't lead like that. They are afraid of the women. Then some of them start to figure it out. It's so amazing to watch the guys in beginning transform from apologetic wimps who don't know how to handle a woman to intermediate take charge strong men who know how to lead with authority.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 AM

468 posts, read 1,221,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Look at all of the TV shows in the past 20 years that demeaned men. TV fathers are made to look like bumbling fools, not heads of the household. Married men are mocked, ridiculed, while the woman always comes off as the wise guy.
Full House, Everybody Hates Raymond, you name it.
Even ER, where the male doctors are emotional wrecks, and the women doctors are the steely saviors.
Yeah I agree 100%. Some comedy is ok, though this is spread so far & wide, it blankets everything. Look at the most popular show in recent times too, Battle Star Galactica. All the guys are indecisive emotional wrecks while the women kick butt and take charge, and even starbuck was turned into a woman with a cigar & crazy sex life - not to mention the women use sex as a tool, repeatedly, to which the guys are somehow helpless to defend against. There's some real rants on this subject with incredible detail. So, there are zero role models for guys in the past 20, 30, maybe more years, then women complain.. ahh, such a bad cycle. Where's Marlon Brando when you need him, you know? And while they're crucifying Elvis or Micheal Jackson for shaking their pelvises, brittany spears is showing off 99% of her flesh bouncing all around the stage, and high school popular music for guys is composed of "metrosexual homo-sized 'boy bands'" who pose more like women than the women artists -- so guys turn to rap, where baggy-clothed non-educated boobs are play-acting firing .45's and watching booties with a half ton of gold around their neck, wrists, and fingers in order to "earn the right from the women" to do so by giving them "BLING". Oh yeah, we could go on & on about it.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM

468 posts, read 1,221,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post

*Strong leads are not necessarily good leads. Good leads are clear. Great leads have good timing. Awesome leads back off the lead after it's clear that the follower has accepted the request. This gives the girl freedom. Life is a lot like that. You don't want to micro-manage your follower, not in dance, and certainly not in life. If you want communicate to your dance follower that you know how to lead, then you begin with a good frame, confidence and clarity in your movement. Once she realizes that you know what you are doing, she will be more likely to follow. And this doesn't require you to overpower her with your strength.

All this is what I meant when I say "Strong leads". You see, it all comes down to how the words in this entire thread are interpreted. For most modern women if you say "submissive" it means one thing, and if you say it to a modern guy, it means another. So the women on this thread previously kept saying, "no way, I am not submissive" and then turned around and agreed with the theme of the points anyway. Also like I said before, even the word "men as lead" is a trigger "No way!" for some women... because they "refuse" to be "lead", since they don't know what it really means. Which is why I previously said in a reply, "sorry if you never had the experience". It's true that most women in the dance world admit that they rarely find a good lead that they "trust" in following all the time. And that's among state level award-winning dancers! So imagine how the larger majority of the women are, if they ever find a good lead, it may be one of the very, very few. It's all give-and-take however there's still one person in charge and sometimes even if the signal is "no" the direction is still that direction.. because the woman saying "no" might not realize there's a huge tray of mojito's right behind her in her blind spot.. thus trusting and following "the leader" by default.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
It's funny how true this is. Guys like this really really need to take up dancing. Seriously. You can just watch the guys' facial expressions in beginning class when they lead the girls. It's almost like they feel like they have to ask the girl for permission to lead her every step along the way. It's almost like they are asking, "is it okay if I ask you if you would please like to do a turn now? Okay, would it be alright if I ask you to do a cross body lead now?" You can't lead like that. They are afraid of the women. Then some of them start to figure it out. It's so amazing to watch the guys in beginning transform from apologetic wimps who don't know how to handle a woman to intermediate take charge strong men who know how to lead with authority.

Not all women are into dancing.
So why should all men take up dancing?
I understand what you are saying about men leading, and that is refreshing...

Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,127,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Isn't Strong-submissive an oxymoron? How can you be both strong and do as you're told?

Definitely not submissive here. I'm smart enough not to need to be told what to do.
Not really. strong-submissive simply means having your own mind but knowing when to give in and let the other person take the reins.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,742,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Not really. strong-submissive simply means having your own mind but knowing when to give in and let the other person take the reins.
This sounds reasonable, but several people in this thread believe that only women have to do this. Their opinion is that men shouldn't give up the reins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships