Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM

291 posts, read 612,407 times

Advertisements

I was just watching an Australian Airport show, and this guy from California was meeting this Korean Girl from Australia who he had been speaking to online.
Before meeting her he said to the camera....''even though we have never met before, we love eachother very much.''
They did an update on them and he went back to California two days after.
Meeting someone online from a different part of the world is something that i have wanted to do for a long time but hearing this from a grown man has possibly put me off online relationships forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM

18,257 posts, read 14,492,879 times
Why did it put you off?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,149,409 times
I met someone online and we had such great chemistry that we felt liek we 'd know each forever when we finally met in person. In the interest of keeping it PG, I'll stop here.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM

291 posts, read 612,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Why did it put you off?
just what he said really ''we have never met eachother before but we love eachother very much''. How can you really love someone that you have never met in person?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,491,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
just what he said really ''we have never met eachother before but we love eachother very much''. How can you really love someone that you have never met in person?
Because it isn't always physical. I remember that episode. It can happen when you meet someone in person as well. Living with someone and dating are two different things. He may have found out she was a lousy housekeeper, didn't want to live there (she may have said she'd never come to the US) or whatever she didn't like about him that made them realize the incompatabilities.
Everyone is different. It may work for some but not others.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,208,633 times
I would say the comment by the guy on that show was very naive, but I'm not sure why you'd be put off of it per se. Personally I won't do online relationships for a lot of reasons. I'll do online dating, but only as a way to meet someone to take on a RL date.

That said, my reasons may not apply to you, so if its something you are interested in, I certainly wouldn't let one naive comment on a TV show turn you off of it.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,060,105 times
Speed, did he touch you? If so where? And does Jesus know about this incident? j/k

To the OP, Andrew there are tons of single people out there and a lot of them aren't looking for anyone. Plus on TV people are incredibly fake. Did you ever see The Bachelor featuring that loser Jason? He is the epitome of a loser. So don't feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I met someone online and we had such great chemistry that we felt liek we 'd know each forever when we finally met in person. In the interest of keeping it PG, I'll stop here.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,592,954 times
I'll look forward to meeting someone I have great exchanges with online, but I can't fall in love that way.

I know a man who left his wife and kids for someone he met online, found out that she used her 16 year old daughter's photo instead of her own saying she was 22, when she was in her 40's and 350 lbs. He married her anyway. It didn't work.

Most people I've known who have done this (including him) are generally insecure and lonely. They fall in love with everyone they meet and, clearly, people they've never met. They're not going to be good life partners, IMO.

ETA: Meeting online is no substitute for real life exchanges. It's just a starting point.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,060,105 times
LOL that story is pitiful and hilarious all at the same time. She probably ate way too much chocolate.

Some people don't know how horrible it is to be in a relationship with a parasite. They don't understand how wonderful and liberating it can be to be single, live alone, and not be attached to any one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I know a man who left his wife and kids for someone he met online, found out that she used her 16 year old daughter's photo instead of her own saying she was 22, when she was in her 40's and 350 lbs. He married her anyway. It didn't work.

Most people I've known who have done this (including him) are generally insecure and lonely. They fall in love with everyone they meet and, clearly, people they've never met. They're not going to be good life partners, IMO.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,051,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
Meeting someone online from a different part of the world is something that i have wanted to do for a long time but hearing this from a grown man has possibly put me off online relationships forever.
I meet people from other parts of the world pretty much everyday which is one of the many great things about living in Los Angeles. Why dont you just meet someone in "real life"?

Andrew, where do you live? I went through all of your posts and couldnt find a single post about where you live as ALL of your posts have been in the "Relationships" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships