Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM

462 posts, read 969,008 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend & I recently broke up after almost 2 years together. We love each other but we both have so much going on in our lives and have other commitments that make it so hard for us to find time to be together. I have never had a problem moving on after a break up - but then I have never felt this way about someone. I just wondered how others managed to get over a broken heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
In short, time and eventually meeting someone else. Sounds like, however, there may be less than solid reasons here to break up? By that I mean, it doesn't sound like either of you really wanted to break up...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
In short, time and eventually meeting someone else.
You know what? At the end of the day, this is the only answer that actually works.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM

22,247 posts, read 19,253,131 times
Be really gentle on yourself.

Somebody told me this and I thought it sounded hokey, but it really works: Set aside time each day to think about him, or feel sad, or cry. And do it during that time, it is a commitment, just like a meeting or anything else on your schedule. But outside of that time, do other stuff, do your life. What this "set-aside time" does is "contain" your hurt, sadness, grief so they don't overwhelm you and swamp you and take over your life and bog you down.

Your feelings are important to allow yourself to grieve, but it is also important to do your life, and take good care of yourself. Best wishes.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpieheaven View Post
My boyfriend & I recently broke up after almost 2 years together. We love each other but we both have so much going on in our lives and have other commitments that make it so hard for us to find time to be together. I have never had a problem moving on after a break up - but then I have never felt this way about someone. I just wondered how others managed to get over a broken heart.
Listening to a lot of Barbara Striesand and tear jerking country songs.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM

410 posts, read 515,528 times
It's all apart of life and growing and learning from experiences good or bad. Just going back to being single and behaving the way you used is hard to adjust to right away.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Be really gentle on yourself.

Somebody told me this and I thought it sounded hokey, but it really works: Set aside time each day to think about him, or feel sad, or cry. And do it during that time, it is a commitment, just like a meeting or anything else on your schedule. But outside of that time, do other stuff, do your life. What this "set-aside time" does is "contain" your hurt, sadness, grief so they don't overwhelm you and swamp you and take over your life and bog you down.

Your feelings are important to allow yourself to grieve, but it is also important to do your life, and take good care of yourself. Best wishes.
Thank you. I have been trying to keep busy (not that I have a problem doing that - its one of our problems). The hardest time is when I lay down at night -

I know I will be ok no matter what happens - but this sure feels terrible!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,976,781 times
Quote:
How did you get over a broken heart?

... how do you stop the rain from falling down?

.... what makes the world go around?

Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,345,835 times
Nothing like a trip to the caribbean, to my country.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Nothing like a trip to the caribbean, to my country.
I wish I could take a trip! I am putting 2 kids through college and taking care of my elderly parents. I was working 2 jobs until recently getting laid off from one. I am still seeking another job - BUT one day... the kids will be on their own & it will be my time! (fingers crossed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships