Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

It seems like guys these days are so afraid of "looking gay" it makes forming new friendships difficult, especially among adults. For instance, two guys can't go out to eat together unless they have known each other for a long time, and if they do, it needs to be either fast food or a sports bar kind of place - no nice restaurants because that looks ghey. Two guys can't go to the movies together - if they do it has to be either a large group or the guys have to sit apart so a theater full of strangers don't think they are a couple. Heaven forbid any guys show physical affection for each other in a non-joking way or start talking to each other about their personal lives or any kind of serious conversation. Now sports, hunting, fishing, etc are all acceptable but what if I am not into these things? I don't consider myself gay but I sometimes wonder because I desire close, companion-style male friendship and most straight guys seem deathly afraid of this (with the exception of with their best friend they grew up with). Other cultures don't struggle with this, so why do Americans? Does me living in the rural South have anything to do with this or is this phenomenon nationwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM

283 posts, read 738,642 times
It may be where you are from, but it also may be an age group. My husband (late 30's) has a best friend from grade school that has been going through a rough time in his life (divorce, business in trouble) and recently they are together all the time alone. They go out to dinner, movies, and have even been known to do that weird little "guy hug" thing in public and it doesn't bother them one bit. Also, we have friends from Europe and they hug and kiss each of us when they visit, so I do know what you mean about Americans being strange that way.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I don't give a f*** what people think. I go to sports events, fishing, hunting, movies on occasions..... with males only. Not worried what people think.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Reminds me of a skit from "Little Britain."

"This thread is so gay!"

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
It may be where you are from, but it also may be an age group. My husband (late 30's) has a best friend from grade school that has been going through a rough time in his life (divorce, business in trouble) and recently they are together all the time alone. They go out to dinner, movies, and have even been known to do that weird little "guy hug" thing in public and it doesn't bother them one bit. Also, we have friends from Europe and they hug and kiss each of us when they visit, so I do know what you mean about Americans being strange that way.
It could be my age because there are plenty of guys in their twenties that have this depth of friendship but they almost ALWAYS go way back like your husband and his friend do. If I was to try to do these things with a guy I met more recently, he would accuse me of being gay and likely cut off contact with me. I moved around every two years growing up so I never made any lasting friendships.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
I think it is a matter of culture. Among Latins, it is OK for males, especially those who are related, to be more affectionate with each other. I always hug and kiss my male family members when I greet them, always hug my friends, and am more touchy with them. But sometimes this leads to cultural clashes. A pair of Ecuadorean brothers were killed in NYC recently; the brothers were walking down the street arm in arm after a night of drinking and they were attacked by a group of men who shouted antigay slurs to them.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Dude-maybe you ARE GAY? Isnt it such feelings that make guys start questioning thier sexuality in the first place? Just askin--

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Dude-maybe you ARE GAY? Isnt it such feelings that make guys start questioning thier sexuality in the first place? Just askin--
I have considered it heavily, but I really have no desire for sexual relationship with a man. If I was to be in a gay relationship it wouldn't work because I have boundries.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
For that to bother you enough to post it as a personal problem you need to consider that you have a strong gay current running thru you...

Either that or your makin up junk for your personal entertainment...and if thats the case you could have done a better job than to put yourself out there like this....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have considered it heavily, but I really have no desire for sexual relationship with a man. If I was to be in a gay relationship it wouldn't work because I have boundries.
You sound quite confused. Nothing unusual about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships