Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,810,373 times

Advertisements

I'm tall, thin, often wear earrings, nice fitting clothing, and have been called metrosexual by gay people. I am 100% straight, and the thought of anything gay usually makes me gag. I really could not give two ****s less what other people think of my appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 PM

804 posts, read 1,966,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I'm tall, thin, often wear earrings, nice fitting clothing, and have been called metrosexual by gay people.
A few decades ago, this was the norm (minus the earrings). "Gentlemanly" was more popular than "manly", families were picky about who their daughter dated or married, and any guy falling short would catch heck from the in-laws. LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I'm tall, thin, often wear earrings, nice fitting clothing, and have been called metrosexual by gay people. I am 100% straight, and the thought of anything gay usually makes me gag. I really could not give two ****s less what other people think of my appearance.
Broman, well said.. I mean seriously, if people are so caught up about appearances and all that, well, they just need to build a bridge and get over themselves.

I could give two craps about what people think about me.. I am who I am, and if they can't accept that, they can move it along.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It seems like guys these days are so afraid of "looking gay" it makes forming new friendships difficult, especially among adults. For instance, two guys can't go out to eat together unless they have known each other for a long time, and if they do, it needs to be either fast food or a sports bar kind of place - no nice restaurants because that looks ghey. Two guys can't go to the movies together - if they do it has to be either a large group or the guys have to sit apart so a theater full of strangers don't think they are a couple. Heaven forbid any guys show physical affection for each other in a non-joking way or start talking to each other about their personal lives or any kind of serious conversation. Now sports, hunting, fishing, etc are all acceptable but what if I am not into these things? I don't consider myself gay but I sometimes wonder because I desire close, companion-style male friendship and most straight guys seem deathly afraid of this (with the exception of with their best friend they grew up with). Other cultures don't struggle with this, so why do Americans? Does me living in the rural South have anything to do with this or is this phenomenon nationwide?
I can speak from experience as I've had employees and a potential girlfriend call me gay because of the way I dress. I don't really so much as care about looking gay but I'm appalled that someone would say such a thing as if one group owns a certain look. The guy I eat lunch with almost everyday is gay and I often get questioned, etc.... Again, I'm kind of flattered yet a bit taken when someone calls me gay because of the way I dress or who I eat lunch with. Now there are SEVERAL guys who would be ready to fight over being called gay but thats because they maybe a bit insecure.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,211,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I can speak from experience as I've had employees and a potential girlfriend call me gay because of the way I dress.
If I'm not mistaken, you're the guy who owns 200 pairs of shoes... I just can't believe people think that!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you're the guy who owns 200 pairs of shoes... I just can't believe people think that!
Some people collect baseball cards, I collect shoes. I prefer to have a clean appearance whenever I'm out. I DJ in my spare time at EDM clubs so I have to look good.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 08-18-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,033,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
But think about it!! If your guy has a large shoe collection, then he can't whine about your collection of pretty little shoes! That is if you're into shoes... which I am lol. I love a beautiful pair of heels.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM

167 posts, read 435,582 times
Mostly due to insecurity. If a guy thinks he looks "gay" than he might think that women aren't going to think of him as straight and he will attract gay guys instead. Some guys are just insecure like that. I wouldn't think of things like that until a gay guy actually comes on to me, than I might have doubts about my appearance... but I'm just insecure like that

Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriTAUcal View Post
Why would any male be sitting in a booth at a nice resturant face to face with another male that they barely know? There is no logic to it.
True. However, most straight guys won't do a nice restaurant unless its with like their best friend from childhood or if its for strictly business purposes. Nice restaurants are fine for less developed friends if guys go in a larger group, but it can never be one on one, same with a movie. I have also learned to not add guy friends' on facebook too soon because that comes across as gay (ruined an acquaintanceship that way). Texting another guy for purposes of chitchat is also gay...guys only call or text each other when its something very important.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:30 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,022,333 times
Not a problem where I live. Plus, I believe (in general) real men are, and should be confident enough in themselves and do the activities they want with friends without having to worry 'bout every little connotation. That's part of being a mature man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships